Ben-Hur Remake (Post-release)

Re: Ben-Hur Remake

As with most remakes, my question is why? The original is a classic and doesn't need to be remade.

The Heston version is a remake (although an argument can be made that it's a talkie and the earlier version is silent). Still, why bother? Who is the audience for this?

No doubt it will be released in the theatres during easter time to a room filled with a bunch of people in yellow dresses and bonnets. The first was a great film and no one but Heston could pull the roll off in my opinion. (Which granted, only applies to me)

While I have no problems with remakes in general I do have to question the decision to remake Ben Hur. Sure it was a great movie in its time but I'm not sure it's the kind of movie that would necessarily appeal to today's audience or if they try to make it more appealing then it will probably end up being a horrible remake and fans of the old Heston version will just take to calling it BHINO. So what's next in the remake que after this, The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra?

While I have no problems with remakes in general I do have to question the decision to remake Ben Hur. Sure it was a great movie in its time but I'm not sure it's the kind of movie that would necessarily appeal to today's audience or if they try to make it more appealing then it will probably end up being a horrible remake and fans of the old Heston version will just take to calling it BHINO. So what's next in the remake que after this, The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra?
They'll probably add a few sex scenes and maybe some incest side story. I am wondering how they will add explosions. Greek Fire?

This is one I would have no problem with. I mean, I will take Starz network Spartacus over the Kirk Douglas movie any day of the week, month, year, or century. If it can be done like that, I'm all for it.

Third time is a charm it seems. I agree i think this one would be a good one to remake but it'll never beat the Heston one.

Sorry, it's one of those that they've got no business remaking. And while it's a remake, the original wasn't a huge classic. I'd wager they'd make as much if not more re-releasing the original than remaking it. The original is also over 3 hours long i think and they'll probably cut a remake to under 2. Plus, spend 200M to make it. Save the 200M and just re-release the Heston version.

The Heston version is a remake (although an argument can be made that it's a talkie and the earlier version is silent). Still, why bother? Who is the audience for this?

Same Director, Cecil B. DeMille and the same Stunt Coordinator, Yakima Canutt. I saw the Heston version on the big screen when it was reissued in the 70s, also "The Ten Commandments". There is no way they could afford to do a film on the DeMille scale nowadays.

David.

The trailer is here.

Pretty much my thoughts after watching the trailer...

GladiatorEntertained_zpsc6n3ywtm.jpg

Attachments

• GladiatorEntertained_zpsc6n3ywtm.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 88
    61.7 KB · Views: 86
    61.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:

:rolleyes

"Remaking ______ would bring a nice low-risk profit. But the original is a classic so it would be pointless to do it again. Let's do something else." <--- said no producer or studio head, ever.

Last edited:

Ben Hur - A Tale of the ****** By General Lew Wallace was exactly that. The Heston Movie got it right, yes you had His tale of Falling, Rising, and getting his
Revenge against Masala, but it inexorably headed for the story about the Crucifixion. This is Ben Hur - a Tale of Revenge. F-You Hollywood. And all due respect to
Morgan Freeman, the role of Ilderim Should be played by John Rhys Davies IMHO. This remake-Reboot Crap will not end until people stay away ESPECIALLY IN CHINA. Right now the Chinese market is displacing the US market for framing how films are being approved and marketed. The Chinese market has killed the traditional comedy market as Hollywoods concern now is how the jokes will translate. I'm giving this one a Wide Berth.

Having watched the trailer, all I can say is, meh! It looks uninteresting, not bad, just uninteresting. It also looks to be very historically inaccurate and do they have to perpetuate the old Hollywood myth that oarsmen on Roman war galleys were slaves? We've known for some time now that they weren't, they were paid professionals, but I forget, this is Hollywood and they never let an old trope or myth dies.

Revenge vs Christianity: This is a trailer. Too early to know anything for real.

Galley slaves vs paid workers
: This story needs that particular inaccuracy to work right. The alternative is to either give up JBH being a slave at that stage of the story, or else give up JBH being on a warship in a naval battle and what happens there. Neither option is a great one. And ancient Rome generally had a nasty slave habit so it seems appropriate to work that experience into the story somewhere.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back