Japanese Samurai Armor Costume

Lflank

Recently re-watched "The Last Samurai" and was inspired to try out a low-budget Samurai Armor costume. It's made from plastic "for sale" signs and parachute cord--LOTS and LOTS of parachute cord.

The armor:

9548392987_f63a7635d4.jpg

The helmet:

9551180576_c558d3e3fc.jpg

The finished costume in a greenscreen scene:

9551179612_b678bcb37c.jpg

9551180668_a72a392a17.jpg

Here's the build vid:

Japanese Samurai Armor for fan films - YouTube

Wow, that's amazing! I've always wanted a set of samurai armour, maybe I should add this to my ever growing projects list... damn you RPF :lol

Looks great, man! I've always wanted to make a set, but after reviewing the above mentioned tutorial years ago, I was intimidated by the amount of cord and tying that was involved. I'm sure there are ways of faking the cord part, but it just wouldn't be the same, I don't think.

Thanks for the comments. :) None of the armor was difficult to do, at least in the technical sense. But all that lacing was mind-numbingly tedious. It took me almost a week to do up the front of the body and the shoulder pieces--if I had done the back to the same level of detail it would have taken a few more days.

I think if I were to go to all that effort again, though, I'd pick up some sheet metal strips and do it for real this time (I did some metal Roman lorica segmentata a little while ago and it came out pretty good). :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back