Budget Marty McFly's 'Future Jacket' - Finished!

Dynofiend

I thought some of you might be interested to see my WIP on this jacket.

It's about as budget as you can get. I've spent about NZ$60 (US$50) and just about finished, and that includes the brand new base jacket.

So, the process:

Slightly oversized base jacket (Marty is a fairly little guy and slightly large clothes help make a better proportioned Marty I think). Lopped off the collar and the zip and popper flap on the front.
2013-08-03 16.08.17.jpg
Hot glued on the brick red anti-slip matting once it was trimmed to size.
2013-08-10 19.43.01.jpg
Couldnt find any suitable rubber or vinyl material for the grey parts. Eventally had a brainwave and bought an 'umbrella cover' in charcoal grey. It's perfect, and even has a slight texture to it like the movie jacket!
2013-08-10 17.26.21.jpg
Made up the collar, 'zip' trim and the pockets pretty simply. Then the sleeves in three sections (the limitation of the umbrella cover is that it's not wide enough to make the sleeves in one section). The 'bellows' will cover the joins. Sewed up the seams, and joined the sleeves to the jacket, sewing the cuffs onto the base jacket's cuffs to 'bunch' them up.
2013-08-18 14.56.45.jpg
Not much more to go!

The 'cuffs' will be made from some rubber matting that i'll cut up to make the ribbed effect. The company that makes the matting donated it for free in return for me posting up finished pictures on their facebook page to generate them extra publicity :D

I'm laser cutting the 'hard' parts for the jacket which is pretty cheap as I often get to use scraps of plastic. Once these are done I'll make sure to put up pictures as there might be some interest from others in getting their own done.

Anyone really interested can follow all my builds on my facebook page (in my signature). I'm also doing an accurate arc reactor, have done a Thor and Iron Man costume, and will be attempting a glass fronted display for my Iron Man suit, and also a pair of Nike Mags based on a cheap pair of generic hi-tops.

Last edited:
Re: Budget Marty McFly's 'Future Jacket'

A little update. I got the hard parts finished :)

My newly acquired laser cutting skills came in very handy. These parts were the first 'trial' parts, but came out so good there was no need to make any more. They are perhaps a little oversized? (the squares are 45mm each side) but this is not meant to be a movie accurate jacket anyway.

I made the 'loop' parts for the size adjusting straps in such a way that they attach to the jacket without needing glue, as demonstrated in the picture on a scrap of the fabric. Not entirely sure how ill be attaching the other parts, although superglue/hot glue is always an option in a pinch!

If anyone is interested in having similar parts cut for them, I can oblige, although because I pay for the cutting time (albeit it's not all that expensive) and live in NZ, it may not work out very cost effective. The nature of the parts makes them extremely easy to resize should that be needed.

Attachments

• tWoDAeyzBHPlaL8bTLOQgeywW48kVCVboq4ENIm5Yz8.jpg
    tWoDAeyzBHPlaL8bTLOQgeywW48kVCVboq4ENIm5Yz8.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 178

Belt and cuffs done. The orange part of the belt flashes with a hidden button too :lol

2013-08-27 21.11.57.jpg2013-08-27 21.14.32.jpg

And finished!

The one compromise I'm sure you have spotted is the location of the bellows parts. I had to move these further down the arms to cover the seams on the sleeves. Not really a great deal I could do about this. It was either this, or have visible seams. I'm comfortable with what I did, it's not like it's a screen accurate jacket anyway!

Let me know what you think!

2013-08-31 16.59.24.jpg2013-08-31 16.59.44.jpg2013-08-31 16.59.56.jpg2013-08-31 17.00.12.jpg

I also decided to make a cheap Hover Board to go with my outfit. My budget was $0 and it came in bang on budget :D

Two sheets of 1/2" thick corrugated card from a freezer box form the 'chassis', a slit and couple of angled pieces of card allowed be to form the kick tail.

The design for the graphics I found online and unfortunately am unable to credit (Google images), but it was in the correct size and scale, so was easy to cut out and stick onto the board.

The green pivot plate was cut from card, and covered with a piece of green paper. The footstrap was a piece of card, covered in the edge of a pink dusting cloth I use to use to clean the car.

Underneath I took some liberties with the original design and used a bunch of margarine tubs which I cut up to resemble the plastic bits and magnets on the real one, then just painted them with what spray paint I had in the garage (had no red, just pink).

Pretty happy with the outcome, again, considering it cost nothing, I think it does the job!

kvXWhb9.jpg
RTIZjrc.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-09-28 19.01.03.jpg
    2013-09-28 19.01.03.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • 2013-09-28 19.01.15.jpg
    2013-09-28 19.01.15.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

A little update. I got the hard parts finished :)

My newly acquired laser cutting skills came in very handy. These parts were the first 'trial' parts, but came out so good there was no need to make any more. They are perhaps a little oversized? (the squares are 45mm each side) but this is not meant to be a movie accurate jacket anyway.

I made the 'loop' parts for the size adjusting straps in such a way that they attach to the jacket without needing glue, as demonstrated in the picture on a scrap of the fabric. Not entirely sure how ill be attaching the other parts, although superglue/hot glue is always an option in a pinch!

If anyone is interested in having similar parts cut for them, I can oblige, although because I pay for the cutting time (albeit it's not all that expensive) and live in NZ, it may not work out very cost effective. The nature of the parts makes them extremely easy to resize should that be needed.

tWoDAeyzBHPlaL8bTLOQgeywW48kVCVboq4ENIm5Yz8.jpg

What are the measurements for these pieces? I have scoured every inch of this website and the internet and cannot find anything,

Thanks in advance!

No idea what the correct measurements are I'm afraid. I dont think mine are accurate so probably not worth measuring them for you, however I mention above that the square parts are 45mm,, and by extension, so are the smaller strap loops, and I think are slightly too big.

If I were doing it again, I'd make up some cardboard stand-ins and stick those on to get the right size before cutting the real ones. I'd suggest you could try doing that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back