How am I supposed to mold this correctly?

WinterT

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I've got a question for ya. If I was to attempt to create a silicone cover(like a cell cover) for the item below how would you guys do it? The outer shell area is what I'm trying to protect so minimal/no silicone is needed for the inner side(just enough to hold it on. Its such an odd shape and I'm not sure if it's flexible enough to flatten out if at all and I can't take it apart. I'm familiar with Smooth-On products so I would probably go that route product wise. Getting advice from you fine people would be a real big help. So...how would you do it?

photo-main.jpg

emotiv-insight.jpg

Eslide2.jpg

851b2d6e98b07b04cc669653c0752772_large.jpg

Oh yeah, this is the sensor portion that I can not cover in the end product so I'm also trying to figure out the best way to do this. They are removable so I could probably just make a mold with them removed or I was thinking of just leaving them on during the molding and cutting it out in the end but I'm not sure if that would look presentable.
Emotiv_Insight_dry_sensor-e1375389970192.jpg

Is this something you created and are looking to make copies of? And what are you planning to reproduce it with, material wise? Not exactly sure what you're asking.

Oh sorry, this is the Emotiv-Insight it reads your brains EEGs and translates them into something a computer can understand. Basically you can issue commands through just thinking it. I was going to use it to control models like R2D2 or something like that. I've got one coming my way and I wanted to create a protective cover for it. Similar to a silicone cover on a phone. I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything even remotely touching casting or molding or even making the silicone cover for something similar to this.

I presume I'll need to cast and mold the original and then work from the copy as to not damage the original. If there is an easier way please let me know.

Help me figure out what you want to do. Perhaps take a drawing or a 3D printed version and mark it up. Or draw some graphics onto it.

Perhaps the whole thing doesnt need to be covered? Perhaps a spandex sleeve with some pads? or does it have to be all silicone?

How many instructions is this able to handle?

It's designed to work with up to 13 different actions: 6 directional movements (push, pull, left, right, up and down) and 6 rotations (clockwise, counter-clockwise, left, right, forward and backward) plus one additional action, disappear. These are the defaults and you can of course just overwrite them with any other actions you train it to recognize. And this is per Control panel, you can open another one and assign another 13 if you wanted. Simultaneous actions are limited to 4. But most people wouldn't be able to even do that.

Help me figure out what you want to do. Perhaps take a drawing or a 3D printed version and mark it up. Or draw some graphics onto it.

Perhaps the whole thing doesnt need to be covered? Perhaps a spandex sleeve with some pads? or does it have to be all silicone?

I was trying to cover the majority if not the entire thing with silicone(minus the sensors at the ends), 1-2mm thick probably not any more than that. I'm used to casting and molding figures which don't require that much effort. I've never made a "skin" for anything.

I think the method here is my best bet at getting a mold done.
Advanced Mold Making Technique: Block Mold of a Four Legged Animal

After that apply clay to the new casting(what I want the silicone skin to look like), make another mold.
Remove the cast from the mold, clean off the clay on the cast.
Place the clean cast in the modified mold <~ Not sure how to make sure its centered
Pour in silicone, remove cast and silicone skin together
Peel silicone skin off
And done

How does that sound? Any better way to pull this off?

- - - Updated - - -

What if you cover it in Plasti-dip?

Is that removable? Looks like a permanent solution.

The best option is the plasti dip. By the time you make the mold and find a way to secure the piece so it doesn't move while casting you're spending serious money. Just mask off the sensor areas and spray coat and the thing in 3 good coats of plasti dip. Trust me, you will save days of frustration.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The plasti-dip is a good idea. What I've found using the spray type is that it peels off rather easily. But if the surface of the object had enough tooth it would work.

And if you decide to make the mold, alignment will be key. I would get your hands on the physical object, more than 1 if available.

It's designed to work with up to 13 different actions: 6 directional movements (push, pull, left, right, up and down) and 6 rotations (clockwise, counter-clockwise, left, right, forward and backward) plus one additional action, disappear. These are the defaults and you can of course just overwrite them with any other actions you train it to recognize. And this is per Control panel, you can open another one and assign another 13 if you wanted. Simultaneous actions are limited to 4. But most people wouldn't be able to even do that.

it will be awesomely GOOD to read a hands on review and you very first impresion using it, and how precise is when sensing. Amazing gadget. hope you get it soon.

Last edited:
I could see this done as two parts.
A pair of sleeves that slip on from each side covering two legs each.
(I guess if the 'legs' are covered I should call them pants)
and joining together around the back
(near the fingers of the hand model's ring hand)

If the whole thing is cast as one piece you'll never actually be able to put it on.

emotiv-insight.jpg
Eslide2.jpg

Attachments

• 851b2d6e98b07b04cc669653c0752772_large.jpg
    851b2d6e98b07b04cc669653c0752772_large.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 62
  • photo-main.jpg
    photo-main.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 69
with out any real knowledge of the product my question is this, how do you know that there are no sensors throughout the whole of the design and not just at the ends? if there are more would covering them with anything effect this things ability to "read your mind"?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back