Toy collection- UPDATE 9/20

Re: Is anyone here a toy collection expert?

I think you guys are missing my point, so I'll paint you a picture.

I turn out of a parking lot but don't see an oncoming car and we collide.

My front fender, bumper, and wheel are damaged but the car is drivable.

I don't have insurance, so I'll have to pay for the repairs to my car myself but right now I 'm broke and I'll have to save up for it.

I take a picture of the front of my car and post it on the RPF and ask 'Hey, are there any expert auto mechanics with years of experience who could tell me, based on this photo, what I might expect in repair cost?'.

The answer I'm looking for is 'I've been a mechanic for 20 years and from looking at your photo I've seem many cars in my shop that looked like that when we started fixing it and between parts and labor it came in at around $8000'.

Yes, I could start taking parts of my car myself, looking up the price of parts myself, but right now all I'm looking for is an expert to take a guess.

Sure, once you start taking the fender off there could be much more damage than you could ever see from a photo of the outside and the a total cost could be $10,000. Or maybe the wreck looks worse then it really is and is mostly cosmedic and only $3000.

All I was asking was if someone who knew toys would look at my stuff in one shot and make an educated guess.

Over the years I've seem RPFers post up all kinds of stuff: vote for this, tell me about that, does this look infected- and I didn't think my question was any more weird then a lot of what I see posted.

I'm sad/disappointed at the negativity here, and surprised we don't have a toy expert in our ranks. I've always seen the RPF as such a helpful community, I guess not so much for me when I'm asking for help.

The problem is that you have hundreds of items, and for someone to give you a good solid estimate, they would need to take the time to go over everything specifically, because toys value in ranges. And lets be honest, who has the time to do all of that? You want just a "one shot" and everyone here is telling you it can't be done like that.

Your analogy of a busted car is a lot easy to estimate a cost for say a busted fender, than going through hundreds of items, since each item has it's own specific value. It's your collection, and people here have given you plenty of advice on ways to get an estimate. I've been in your shoes before, and I had to take time to go through everything and use ebay as a guide to see what the value is. I still do that! No one here is being negative that I can see, but in this particular case, it's up to you to do the work. I'm just saying it's not as easy as taking a glance and saying, oh it's worth X.

On that note, I would recommend Rebelscum as a resource, since your collection is all SW based.

Ok James... Don't say the RPF won't help... That is an insult to the community :lol

I just spent the last hour going through your photos and searching completed listings on eBay for you so I can get a ballpark estimate ;)

Now please understand, there are many prices listed on eBay. Some people want $50 for the same item that another guy puts a buy it now price of $9.99. So I went with the lowest price people had asked.

Also, just because I took the lowest price people asked, does not mean it sold at that price. There are numerous items listed with buy it nowd of $5.00 and nobody bought it. So I priced it at $5.00 but that does not mean you can get that amount. Heck, most of your carded Episode 1 figures sell between .99 and $3.00 but I just priced them all at $5.00 each. Your Fiona figure alone I priced at $5.00, but someone recently sold a set of Shrek, Donky, Fiona and other figure for .99 plus shipping on the auction block. So while I estimated $5 each on the carded, some dealers may price them at $3 or less.

So just know that I did price according to the lowest asking price (or sale if it sold) but that does not mean you can sell for that price.

The total I estimated was about $1400-1500
That would be to piece it out and sell one by one. A dealer would more likely estimate lower at maybe $800-1000. So I estimate you might get a lowball offer to start negotiations at maybe $250-300. You could probably work your way up to $400, maybe $500 if lucky, and that would be where they stop. Again... You asked for an estimate and this is just that. Please don't take this as concrete or as fact. I just did a little research and adding on the calculator. But a dealer will not want to pay low eBay prices because he knows he will have to sell the stuff and that takes time and effort and that is all cash out of his pocket. So he will aim to buy it as cheap as possible to make as much as he can.

Hope that helps :)

Take what you feel the collection is worth and cut that by about 2/3's and thats what you'll have a chance at getting for it.

Your probably better off just listing the big sutff on ebay, getting what you can and doing lots on the little stuff and then taking whatever money you profit and going to buy whatever big collectable you can then afford.

Moviefreak, my intention was not for you or anyone to spend their own time pricing my stuff.

But whatever the method I do appreciate you giving me some sort of starting point as to the value, and for being the only person who threw out a number at all.

It is ok... I had an hour to kill ;)

I still think my number is high though. If an item won't sell on ebay, even at less than $7 or $5, a dealer knows they will sit on it for a looooooooong time. So they will most likely offer on bulk, and when you break it down, they will be looking to buy stuff for about $1-2 a piece when it comes to action figures.

The boxed ships too, many low prices were $9.99 and they didn't sell. So dealers might piece them at $7.00 (maybe even less) and offer you $3-4 each on them.
But their angle is to NOT discuss individual prices, but a lump price. That way you don't see how cheap they are going on each piece :lol

You 12 inch Chewbacca was one of your most expensive pieces.... I saw people asking from $23.00-$284.00 on those. The low end price ones sell, but nothing over $39.00. So I averaged that in the middle at $30.

Last edited:

Yes, THIS, exactly!

The problem is that you have hundreds of items, and for someone to give you a good solid estimate, they would need to take the time to go over everything specifically, because toys value in ranges. And lets be honest, who has the time to do all of that? You want just a "one shot" and everyone here is telling you it can't be done like that.

Your analogy of a busted car is a lot easy to estimate a cost for say a busted fender, than going through hundreds of items, since each item has it's own specific value. It's your collection, and people here have given you plenty of advice on ways to get an estimate. I've been in your shoes before, and I had to take time to go through everything and use ebay as a guide to see what the value is. I still do that! No one here is being negative that I can see, but in this particular case, it's up to you to do the work. I'm just saying it's not as easy as taking a glance and saying, oh it's worth X.

On that note, I would recommend Rebelscum as a resource, since your collection is all SW based.

Well, I'm disappointed you seem so unappreciative and entitled to a free appraisal. At least someone counted it all up for you finally!

Look, you asked a question and have been given the same answer repeatedly. If anything, a couple of us have been patient to a fault. Nobody can magically look at your collection and be anointed with a price to give you. You keep saying you don't want someone to price it for you, yet you keep asking just that! The first thing out of your mouth should've been, thank you.

As for being negative? Why, because you haven't heard what you wanted to hear? Because you were told your collection is from an era that yielded very few desirable pieces? The 90's were filled with a new figure every other day and they were all packaged with the new collector in mind which pretty much guaranteed none of it would be collectible years later. That said, there is so much of it; just about every piece must be researched to get a fair market value; nobody knows it all of the top of their head.

Good luck though...and you're welcome!

-Rylo

I'm sad/disappointed at the negativity here, and surprised we don't have a toy expert in our ranks. I've always seen the RPF as such a helpful community, I guess not so much for me when I'm asking for help.

Rylo, I'm sorry you missed what I was asking in this thread, and I'm sorry we disagree. Until an actual expert chimes in I guess we're all really just spinning our wheels making guesses anyway. I know everyone sees things differently and I can't blame anyone for seeing what they wanted to see.

No worries and no hard feelings.

I appreciate your candor and look forward to your next project, they are always top notch.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice, I appreciate everything everyone had to say.

I'm deleting the link as I feel I have a starting point. Thanks again.

Um, Nooooo. I didn't miss a thing. You, however seem to be missing the point (like a gong next to your head) that "an actual expert" isn't going to waste their time appraising your collection based on what you've shown thus far and most certainly not for FREE!

Here's the best free advice you're gonna get: "When it costs more to ship an item than it can sell for auction, it's junk. Not, "maybe it's valuable" or "I saw another guy selling for 'whatever' "...it's junk." Oh, and when you ask for your collection to be appraised and yet insist you don't want anyone to price it out for you to get said appraisal...well, it rather makes you sound nuts.

But, carry on. Looks good on ya! :thumbsup

Rylo, I'm sorry you missed what I was asking in this thread, and I'm sorry we disagree. Until an actual expert chimes in I guess we're all really just spinning our wheels making guesses anyway. I know everyone sees things differently and I can't blame anyone for seeing what they wanted to see.

I appreciate your candor and look forward to your next project, they are always top notch.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice, I appreciate everything everyone had to say.

I'm deleting the link as I feel I have a starting point. Thanks again.

Even an "expert" wouldnt give you an accurate figure.

they are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay so 1 "expert" could give one price and another could give something completely different. And you'll never get full value for something that is in a lot rather than pieced out individually or in bundles.

Ya know, I'm actually a published appraiser and considered an expert in a number of niche markets. We passed guess-work on my first post.

-just sayin'

James,

What Rylo is trying to tell you, in more than few posts already, is that any "actual expert" is going to base their estimate by researching EACH and EVERY item in order to determine the final estimate.

Rylo, I completely understand that you have experience in this area and are considered an expert.

I'm sorry you missed what I was asking in this thread, and I'm sorry we disagree. I know everyone sees things differently and I can't blame anyone for seeing what they wanted to see.

I think any dealer is just going to give the overall collection a once-over, and based on his experience make a gut estimate in his head and make an offer based on (i.e. lower than) that. I don't see a dealer researching every item, it's too time consuming (not until they're his and he's pricing them for selling them himself, of course). I don't see what's so naive about James asking for something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Rylo, then don't give him one. Sheesh.

I think any dealer is just going to give the overall collection a once-over, and based on his experience make a gut estimate in his head and make an offer based on (i.e. lower than) that.

That's all I was asking with this thread, just a starting point.

Last edited:

Moviefreak, my intention was not for you or anyone to spend their own time pricing my stuff.

But ... But, that is specifically what you asked for. NOW I'm starting to agree with Rylo, I am feeling like I've stepped through the Looking Glass! WHEW!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back