Cheap Sawed-off Shotgun prop! 10" 12 guage!

Coz

Sr Member
Been getting in some paint practice.

Started off with one of these:
1-1-55_3.jpg

(Image from www.kapowwe.com)

(Only difference was mine was marketed as a 'Pirate Shotgun' And came with an eyepatch. I'm wearing it now. ;) )

And wound up with this:
SawnoffShotgun1.jpg

SawnoffShotgun2.jpg

SawnoffShotgun4.jpg

SawnoffShotgun3.jpg

Started out at about 19" long. So I cut off the stubby stock, and hacked down the barrels, so it now measures about 10" (tho it would've been a little long iff I could cut stright.).
A piece from inside the gun barrels made the 'figure 8' of the barrel tip much easier.
Also, 12 guage shells would actually fit, but I didn't go that far.

After filling the hole left by the stock (and adding a large blob of DAS type air clay for weighting the grip), I then proceded to sand off the molded woodgrain and most of the 'engraving' above the trigger, also two small raised sections on the foregrip.

I seperated the pistol grip and foregrip by partly sawing in lines - roughly copying the Mad Max shotgun.
Then I used a flat needle file that I snapped the end off of (it now has a chisel-like tip) and started scraping in a better woodgrain pattern.

Cut off the slightly oversized trigger guard, and made a new one from aluminium strip after thinning the triggers down.

Masked off the 'wooden' areas, and hit it with some metallic silver spray paint (generic), spraying the barrels seperately, then started in on darkening down and weathering once I put th pieces back together.

I used Citadel (Games Workshop) brand black ink (tho I first tested brown ink - gave an old oiled rust colour). Copious amount added with a brush, then wiped off with Isopropyl Alcohol and paper towels.
Very messy. Went for a well used, antique look.

I then used a mix of brown and black Citadel ink on the wooden parts - directly onto the sanded plastic.
I used the brown first, then lightly rubbed it down with a sanding block, then smudged on black, then rubbed it down again lightly to bring up some of the lighter brown of the plastic (something I couldn't have done if I'd painted it).

Finally I took a shoe scuff polish bottle, and wiped down the whole gun with it, then buffed it up for a nice sheen.

Lemme know what you think.

C.

:eek WOW...
That is a mighty fine job you did there...
You've inspired me to give a project like that a go...
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Very cool....

i have that same toy gun in a big lots in town, i may have to get one to mod out. i love sawed off shotguns :D.

hell of a paint job too.
chris

Thanks for encouraging a noobie, guys. :)

To be honest, the effort put into the paintjob was very little compared to the effect. Very simple to do, takes only a couple of hours, and looks pretty good in person too. Tho I gotta get better at laying down the fake woodgrain...

I'm gonna try another gun or two, and see how a blue ink would look. I've got my eye on a couple of cheap toy guns that are fit for adult hands (they just don't make 'em big enough fer my mitts.).

Yeah, I know I could get airsoft guns, but where's the fun in that? :D

May use a similar method on the Mal and Jayne resin pistols I got comin' to me.

Thanks again for all the kindness. Hope to have more soon.

Coz.

Wow man. You did a number on that thing. The weathering and wood-finish look real... :confused

Now show us your NERF paintups... :p

Simply amazing, the wood grain effect is perfect...and the weathering of the metal, all so convincing.
Makes me want to buy one of these and try the same. When you motivate others to try the same thing, I think that speaks mountains about the quality of your workmanship. :thumbsup

Coz.....DUDE.....
I can't believe you took that junky toy and turned it into something I now want to add to my collection...
AMAZING work....just fantastic.
Well, gotta' go and buy that toy now.....
Again....GREAT WORK.....
Ed-209

That is seriously, insanely beautiful work.

Ever consider taking commissions (on something I just wouldn't have time to do myself)? :)

So yeah I saw this shotgun in the store and said nah to short to do anything with... Boy was I wrong. So guess what now I'm going to go pick myself up one, or maybe two.

SWEET WORK...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back