Elysium HULC (powered exoskeleton) costume

nice build man its looking really nice, ive just been looking at your pics and if you made a sub frame you could hide the straps and make it look more like the screen used one make harness with the straps fit to body first then put on shirt and then attach the armour through the shirt with earth magnets or with velcro through holes in the shirt just an idea looks ace well done

I'm glad you like what I've done so far - Demolition. :D The harness is already sized to fit under a T-shirt. The current design literally bolts to the harness. The gray shirt will get sandwiched between the costume and the harness. The plan was to push the bolts through precut holes in the shirt, but I am considering alternate methods to attach the costume. I like the idea of magnets. :)

I have updated my progress on the build. I needed something my size to hold the costume while I work, so I made a duct tape dummy. He sways a little, but gets the job done.

Love where this is going! I hope Im not too late to contribute....I found some pics and I hope they can be of some use.

20130827_184705.jpg20130827_184712.jpg20130827_184717.jpg20130827_184723.jpg20130827_184744.jpg20130827_184754.jpg

Cool... Does the book have pictures of the exo-suit of Kruger too? This build is tempting me to do one of my own, but if I do it will be the Kruger one.

The rod ends used on the pistons sure look like Igus molded rod ends- I'm guessing size 6mm, which is part # KARM-06. If ordering at least 20 of them they cost $3.38 ea.
View attachment 226282
igus® Spherical Self-Aligning Bearings: igubal®

That looks eggzactly like the part they used in the movie. I have been looking so hard for that part...that I gave up on it. Thank you for finding that and the link!! This RPF community is incredible!
I want to make a second suit when I'm done figuring out this one. I'll be ordering those parts for it. Thanks for your help!

Cool... Does the book have pictures of the exo-suit of Kruger too? This build is tempting me to do one of my own, but if I do it will be the Kruger one.

You should do it! I would think the book has reference photos of every suit, android, vehicle, gun, or prop. I decided to order it for myself, but it will be some time before I get mine.

That looks eggzactly like the part they used in the movie. I have been looking so hard for that part...that I gave up on it. Thank you for finding that and the link!! This RPF community is incredible!
I want to make a second suit when I'm done figuring out this one. I'll be ordering those parts for it. Thanks for your help!

Happy to help! I only recognized it because I used to order lots of bushings from that company and I happen to have one of those rod ends in my spare parts box. :) I figured I would machine the ends for the pistons from Delrin and then use a thin wall aluminum tube for the piston and make the housing from plastic. Originally I had planned on just molding the one I have and casting duplicates but once I looked up the price I figured why bother- LOL!

I also found this cool display I thought might be perfect for the back of the head. It measures 1.8" and has a micro SD card slot so you could drive it using a Arduino Pro Mini and store a couple of images on the SD card. Just need to get a good closeup of the back of the head.

I got it here- 1.8 18-bit color TFT LCD display with microSD card breakout [ST7735R] ID: 358 - $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Happy to help! I only recognized it because I used to order lots of bushings from that company and I happen to have one of those rod ends in my spare parts box. :) I figured I would machine the ends for the pistons from Delrin and then use a thin wall aluminum tube for the piston and make the housing from plastic. Originally I had planned on just molding the one I have and casting duplicates but once I looked up the price I figured why bother- LOL!

I also found this cool display I thought might be perfect for the back of the head. It measures 1.8" and has a micro SD card slot so you could drive it using a Arduino Pro Mini and store a couple of images on the SD card. Just need to get a good closeup of the back of the head.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/JKelty/Screenshot2013-08-03at10536PM_zps4b10690b.png

I got it here- 1.8 18-bit color TFT LCD display with microSD card breakout [ST7735R] ID: 358 - $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

You are a tremendous help! I did consider using a left over 1.8" color tft LCD display I had from an old mp3 player I had lying around, but since I have no experience repurposing such electronics I didn't know where to start. Looking at the link you provided, I decided to order the Arduino-friendly display and Arduino nano instead. I think I can learn Arduino faster than troubleshooting what I have now. I'm thinking my second HULC suit will get the Arduino treatment. In the interim, I'm using a low-tech approach for this build:
IMG_2584.JPG
The wiring will conceal the hot glue. I just used double-sided tape for this pic, but the final application will have 3M mounting strips to hold it on my pale head. The display is just a mini photoshop'd mock-up(zoom in for a little inside joke). I intended to use printed transparency film backlit with LEDs, but opted out. I will rig up a green LED for the com-port fabrication to be stuck just to the right of this piece. Thanks again for your help!

While I was watching the movie, I kept thinking to myself "SOMEBODY in the RPF is gonna' have to build that." Glad to see I was right. Looks great!

Looking very good there Sir! I am sure we will be seeing this for Halloween at the theater this year no???? :p

Thank you sir! ...and thank you for the inspiration to attempt this! I still love that War Machine you built -
IMG_1614.JPG and I can't wait to see the next one! The theater will probably see my second HULC suit for Halloween, but I'll still wanna show this one off a little once I'm done with it. :D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back