Studio scale Anderson Ufo

SiR

Hi,

I thought you might like to see a project I've been working on for some time and just recently finished.
It's a studio scale replica of one of the alien Ufos from Gerry Anderson's wonderful show of the same name.

I've created a forest landing scenario in the display box and also installed hidden, green LEDs in the base.

Simon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 306
Looking good. I grew up with these progs, UFO, Space 1999, Sting Ray etc etc. I don't think I've seen a UFO before. The scene setting is great, makes all the difference.
How did you get the clear dome formed so well or is it a donor from something else?

Many thanks for the kind words. It's actually a limited run, commercially available kit (please see this forum for details of its development: UFO Model help - Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum ).

Naturally, I put a lot of additional work into it beyond simply making the base - for example, choosing to cover the entire middle, cone, blades and paddles with bright chrome Bare Metal Foil instead of going down the Alclad paint route. It took far more time and patience on an approx 11 inch wide saucer than simply spraying but I think the end result is worth it.

BTW, here's another picture of the green LEDs switched on:

image.jpg

Looks really good. I must admit I've often thought about using LEDs or fibre optics in models but never got around to it. Just a time thing really as I'm sure it can't be that difficult if I were to apply myself. Just seems like a bit of hocus pocus to my addled brain! Going by the result you've achieved I ought to pull my proverbial finger out as it looks very effective. Are they internal or is it back lit?

Ha, just tried to login to the ETF but can't recall my user name on there. Have to look tomorrow as the discussion looks like good bed time reading at 22 pages!

Thanks again!

Yeah, LEDs can seem a bit daunting at first but, if it's just a basic effect you need (i.e. simple lights with no flashing or pulsing) the more straightforward it is.
In this case, I installed batteries and wiring for two green micro LEDs under the base and then hid the lights themselves behind two of the tree trunks.

Simon

I can see this turning into electronics talk, but not intended as I would hate to draw attention away from the point of the post! I've looked at the series and parallel LEDs and the same for the batteries, increasing the voltage or brightness and then needing to introduce a resister if the ohms are to high...........what with everything else in life it's just something that I just can't grasp at the mo. Anyway, moving on. It looks very effective indeed. Thanks for sharing it Simon.

I just did a search for 'UFO Anderson' and this seems to be the only post of the UFO Alien Saucer.:(

For me, next to my love of the original series LAND OF THE LOST is my love of Gerry Anderson's UFO and specifically the alien saucer. Not only do I think this craft is such a totally cool design with it's flying rotation of paddles, but the sound effect of the craft to me is one of the coolest designed spaceship sounds ever!!!

I am hoping one day to create a large scale replica the alien saucer...my favorite space craft of all time.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back