Resin Glue

Prop Nut...

I've never worked with resin kits before, asnd would like to know what type of adhesive is best for puitting together a resin kit? So far I can say with confidencet, hot glue sucks. :confused

Another vote for C.A glue, I prefer that to two part epoxy when working with resin. Just make sure the parts are correctly lined up before pressing the two together.

I also recommend C/A glue. I use it for everything even some cement pieces.

Be sure to clean your resin before you start though. I use cascade powder dish soap and a scrub brush. Dishsoap works too but make sure it's clean :)

For a primer I like rustoleum auto primer ... just an fyi :)

wash the parts with soap and water and let them dry before you primer. Fit the parts before glueing. Before you glue, scuff both surfaces up so the glue has something to bite into. Make sure no paint/primer is on the surface that will be glued.

You can use standard superglue but CA glue is prefered.
It also smells good, lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robstyle @ Jan 18 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1400468[/snapback]</div>
wash the parts with soap and water and let them dry before you primer. Fit the parts before glueing. Before you glue, scuff both surfaces up so the glue has something to bite into. Make sure no paint/primer is on the surface that will be glued.

You can use standard superglue but CA glue is prefered.
It also smells good, lol.
[/b]

What is the difference between standard superglue and CA glue? There's a whole rack of "superglue" type adhesives at the store.

there is a difference between standard super glue and what we refer to as "CA" glue. Superglue has a very limited working and setting time, it is a one part application. CA glue is available in various consistencies from thick as sap to thiner than water and has various working times. In general, CA glue is a two part adhesive being the glue and the activator. With some CA glues, you can actualy fit the part and still have time to adjust or remove said part before the glue sets. You cant do this with regular super glue.

When it comes down to it, CA glue is a lifesaver for projects.
Just dont glue youre hand to the table, lol. I have seen this done before.

I Know all that, super glue is still a CA know matter what way you look at it. Super glue works with the kicker because it is CA, I use it all the time.

Superglue is a generic term for CA, that is all I'm saying, it is still a CA.

"Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for substances such as methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, which is typically sold under trademarks like Superglue and Krazy Glue"

Lynn

Curious as to why folks don't like the 2-part epoxy. I agree that I use CA most of the time, but if there's a structural piece on a pistol-or-larger sized prop, I tend to pin it and use epoxy. Is there a good reason NOT to use epoxy? I have dropped one of my superglued props, and it just came apart at the superglue seams.

-Raj

Superglue is quick. Especially with kicker. The 2-part stuff is messy and stinks. It is a trade-off.

Also, sometimes the weaker bond is better in a way. If I had an arm pinned at a natural breakpoint, lets say where it meets a sleeve, and it fell, it would probably break mid-arm. I'd rather it break at the seam. :)

When you have big parts of resin with alot of contact area, such as when assembling a Ghostbuster pack, and working time is not an issue, what is the recommended adhesive? Also, does one adhesive have more "give" (flex) than another and if you have a weight-bearing joint/seam (due to the size of the resin piece) which is better? This has been a really informative thread.

I think I'd go for epoxy on larger pieces. Rough up the areas of contact first and pin if you can.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back