Built - Adam Savage Toolbox

MrKerr

How's it going everyone, new here and this is first post, first thread. I found this site after watching a video of Adam Savage talking about replicas and his Bourne Burn Bag. After sifting through the forum for a month or so I was amazed at the community for replicas and costumes and all this. I had no idea people went to such great lengths to make screen accurate props, costumes, etc. Truly amazing and some of the quality and detail is unbelievable.

Anyways, I found the thread about Adam's toolbox last September or so and thought it would be a great gift for a friend of mine. I'm a big Mythbusters fan, and he is a huge Mythbusters fan, seemed fitting. His birthday is in November, and this was supposed to be a gift for him LAST year. After trying to buy sheet aluminum and getting it too thick, limited time with travel, and finally getting the right materials, I got started and finished it throughout the last month or so.

The sheet Al I got was still too thick I think because it was a bear to cut and shape. To bend the skin on the lids was incredulously difficult. I ended up using a teardrop mallet to hammer it out. The tolerances also started getting too tight once I attached the lids to the box, so I had to drill out one side and lean the wall out so the lids would close smoothly. You may see that in the pics.

Enough jibba jabba, here's the pictures.

9485046945_937827c60e.jpg

9487846766_f3826b4f0f.jpg

9487847508_db8a2b093b.jpg

9487848206_9909cfdc30.jpg

And because it took almost a year from idea to final piece, I got him a secondary gift. It's an antique torch.

9487849114_4bba9ce307.jpg

I gave him the toolbox yesterday and he loves it. So much so he wants to display it and not use it because he doesn't want to mess it up. His wife would rather him use it, ha.

Now what would make this gift all the greater would be if Mr. Adam Savage himself made a comment about it. I think that would be cool as hell.

Well that's thrilling. Super. It's perfect. I'm hard pressed to tell it from my originals. (it may be a wee bit too clean) What an awesome thing. Congratulations!

Please tell your friend to use the crap out of it. Hard use will make it look far better.

a

No scissor lift? Haha, great job, and I think your friend's wife is right, use it, a good toolbox deserves some grime. :)

Well that's thrilling. Super. It's perfect. I'm hard pressed to tell it from my originals. (it may be a wee bit too clean) What an awesome thing. Congratulations!

Please tell your friend to use the crap out of it. Hard use will make it look far better.

a

Unbelievable, thank you so much for taking the time to post something. I appreciate it very much and I know he will too!

Kim, I was planning on making the lift but it took so long already. I do have the material for it, so I will hopefully make it in the future.

Aerial, I followed the thread Contec linked to. I got all the dimensions from the photos Adam took.

I think I was the first one to build it after that thread (what what). At least build it and post it, ha.

I'm hoping someone will do a run of them, so I can buy a pair of reproductions of my originals. Meta meta.

So you are not against someone making them to sell?

I don't really know the rules with things like that. I know not to recast, but replicating someone's idea for profit?

So you are not against someone making them to sell?

I don't really know the rules with things like that. I know not to recast, but replicating someone's idea for profit?

If the original maker gives you a OK then its OK. At least in this case.. ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back