First thread on TheRPF - Witch King WIP (PIC HEAVY)

Thornekey

Hey guys!! I've been lurking around here for a while, and not posted anything or made any threads.. and I think it's time to! So I've made a few costumes for cosplay events before, but never really recorded my progress. So here it is.. I started designing my Witch King costume last week and already made a quick start to the gauntlets. (A thing you should know about me is that I try to recycle and be cost-effective with the materials I use.. I often go down to my local thrift store (op shop) and buy materials like leather skirts etc.)

Ok so here's how I started it :)
The Gauntlets

To save money and time going to the hardware to buy sheet metal, I decided to use some tin from a milk chocolate can.

IMG_0778.JPG

I then cut it out to make it a sheet and hammered out the bumps to make it completely flat! Next was to make the card board templates. Before I start something on metal (or leather, or material (some of my other hobbies) I ALWAYS cut out a template on card board or paper.

IMG_0744.JPG
Once all my templates were done, it was time to stick them to the metal and cut it out!

IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG
Next I went to a op shop in my area and bought a leather skirt ($2.00) and a pair of leather gloves ($5.00).. Quite a bargain! And i can still use the left over skirt material for another project. :D

IMG_0777.JPG IMG_0724.JPG

I then measured about 5 1/2 inches up my forearm and cut two lengths of it from the skirt. This would be added to the glove as an extension.
IMG_0776.JPG

Next it was time to dremel the outside of the metal cut outs and make holes where I would soon put leather rivets in (this would keep the metal to the gloves).
IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0782.JPG

But before I did that I had to paint it. I used a palet of different silvers and shades of black, brown, red. etc. This gave it a kind of battle-worn, rusted, and bloody look. I've never had to paint metal before so I guess it went pretty well.. Especially when done at 4am!
IMG_0774.JPG

So that's as far as I've gotten in the past few days. It's going quite well. All that is left for the gauntlets is to add the arm and finger pieces.

To be continued... ;)

Thornekey

Re: First thread on TheRPF - Witch King WIP

Bumpp

As I've not painted on metal before, I'm not quite sure on most techniques.. Does anyone have an idea on how i can stop the paint pealing? Its a mixture of oil and acrylic paint. Perhaps some clear primer? Idk. Hopefully someone has a clue.. :)

Thornekey

A good paint job is the same no matter what material: make sure the surface is clean, use a primer, apply thin even coats (never a thick coat), allow proper dry time between coats, and use a clear sealer when your finished.

Is this a LOTR build?

If the paint is peeling either the paint was too thick or the surface had oil/dirt and the paint did not adhere to the metal.

I usually wash parts with a little soap and lots of water, then I wipe the parts with rubbing alcohol just before painting.

A good paint job is the same no matter what material: make sure the surface is clean, use a primer, apply thin even coats (never a thick coat), allow proper dry time between coats, and use a clear sealer when your finished.

Is this a LOTR build?

Super nifty work mate. Welcome.

Taz

Looking great so far! Love the re-use of materials.

James Kenobi 1138, i hand actually washed it.. Damn! I probably should have.. I will do it on the next pieces. Its not peeling yet, i just fear it will if it rubs against something like the other pieces. Thanks for the advice! I'll buy some form of sealer from the hardware or art store. Is there a certain type for metal?

And yes it's a Lotr build; Witch King of Angmar.. Gonna wear it to Supanova (local event)

Taz Vader, Grey Pilgrim: thanks heaps! :3

Hey all :)! Small update..

So last night I decided to sit around and start planning and cutting the finger pieces. I only got a few pieces done as I was quite busy with other stuff.

I started with these two card board templates. The one with the three points is the most common one. It goes down each finger. The other is one of two end pieces. I still need to make the second, which is slightly longer.

template.JPG

Next I cut the amount I needed out for one finger.

cut.JPG

I decided to paint a few of the pieces that were done. This didnt take too long. I think it needs one more coat. to make it just a tad more brighter. Once the whole set of fingers is done, I'll hot glue them to the glove (unlike the other pieces which are constricted by rivets).

1.JPG

Lastly I worked on painting one out of three pieces of the arm. This came up quite well.

arm.JPG

Well, that's all so far!

To be continued...

Thornekey

Last edited:

Hey guys - so i finished cutting the arm pieces. Just have to paint and rivet them in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376469160.888551.jpg

Just have to go over it all and fix up the scratched off bits, I still need to put a sealer on..

Thornekey

IMG_0822[1].JPG

Just needs one more coat to make it a bit shinier :D I also have to hammer the rivets down.

Okay just bought two part body filler for the helmet, as I've had enough of the gauntlets for the rest of the week, from miter 10 (hardware store in Aus) it's 1k and it was $26, is that a good price or could I have gone cheaper somewhere else?

Last edited:

Hi Thornekey

I ran out of time to do my gauntlets properly, but I was planning to blacken them initially using white vinegar, and if that didn't have the desired effect, quenching then in used motor oil. If you're looking for something that's hard wearing, it's really the only way to go.

Love your work so far!

The Helmet

Ok, so I just put the body filler on the resined card board helmet.

IMG_0665.JPG

So I started with this paper template.

IMG_0666[1].JPG

Once I was happy with the design I made it on card board for a sturdier surface. I then resined it.

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

Lastly I put the first coat of bondo on it. :D Very excited for it to dry so I can start sanding!

Thornekey

To be continued...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Thornekey

I ran out of time to do my gauntlets properly, but I was planning to blacken them initially using white vinegar, and if that didn't have the desired effect, quenching then in used motor oil. If you're looking for something that's hard wearing, it's really the only way to go.

Love your work so far!

Thanks for the input! I actually saw your build before I started mine - awesome job!

Last edited:

Make sure you do regular test fittings of the helm. Mine got pretty tight by the time all the fibre glassing an bondo was done.

Make sure you do regular test fittings of the helm. Mine got pretty tight by the time all the fibre glassing an bondo was done.

Yeah, good point. As initial card board it was a bit bigger and could slide off my head at times. So perhaps once its all bondo'd it will fit snug.

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated! :))

Hey guys! I've just been sanding (by hand :( uhhhh) for the past two hours and its going really well. Ready to put another coat on it (really thin), as the indented parts will be too low if i keep sanding..

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

Last edited:

So today at school I had a teacher come up to me in the yard and tell me to put the helmet away and stop sanding.. I asked why and their response was that it looked offensive.. wow!.. just wow. Ok..

Tell the teacher that they actually had the audacity to stop someone from expressing their creativity, making armour from a literary character from a much loved novel written by an OXFORD PROFESSOR!!! You can follow up by telling him it is the second highest grossing novel next to the bible, and earned 2.91 BILLION at the box office.

Then hand him the phone number for WETA and tell him to go complain to them.

Sand on, young man....Sand on.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back