Slotted Metal Sheet? Solved!

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm in the process of refinishing my DL-44 Greedo Killer (upgrading to a Denix base) and I'd like to make a proper display for it when it is done. I'm wanting to use a piece of slotted metal sheet as a backdrop, like this:

Sell_Slotted_Hole_Perforated_Sheet.jpg

Every source I have found for it so far only sells in bulk. I really only need a piece roughly 12"x18"... Anyone know of a place I could get something like this?

Last edited:
Re: Slotted Metal Sheet?

Also if you are willing to do a stand run it would make buying in bulk ideial. You never know if you work a mock up of your stand design you may get some interest, even fund your project if you only cost for parts and labor.

Might be a long shot but you should try a couple local auto parts stores or a custom shop they might even have scrap pieces laying around. I know this patten was popular for use as truck grills.

Also if you are willing to do a stand run it would make buying in bulk ideial. You never know if you work a mock up of your stand design you may get some interest, even fund your project if you only cost for parts and labor.

I just might have to do that... It looks like I can probably get 4 pieces out of the grill linked above.

Following Andrew's link above, I found a smaller piece that was a little more affordable and the perfect size for my project. It was 6"x36", which I cut into 12" sections, giving me three pieces 6"x12, for an overall size of 12"x18". A little bit of plywood, angled aluminum stock, some paint, and homemade pegs (made by following Delmustator's post) and here is what I've come up with:

IMG_20130826_185137_zps2567c52a.jpg

I cut a piece of plywood to the same size as the metal sheets and painted it black. I sprayed the back side of the sheets with Super 77 adhesive spray and attached them to the plywood. Then I took some angled aluminum stock and mitered the corners to build a frame of sorts, and screwed them to the sides of the plywood. This served two purposes: it held the metal sheet in place, and finished the look. I beveled the edges of a 2x4, painted it black, and screwed it to the bottom of the plywood to act as a base. Finally, I placed the gun on the display in the position I wanted it to be in and marked the holes for the peg. I drilled the holes and screwed them in place.

Now I just need to finish the gun! :lol

Just found this thread! Kevin you never cease to amaze me that looks great! I've been looking for metal like that to make a pulse rifle display! Gonna check it out tonight.

Ok just bought 2 of the small peices 6 x 36 for 30$ shipped should have it by the 28 th! Post pics when I get them. Kevin if you dont mind I'll make my display similar to yours but as a wall display.

image.jpgimage.jpgOk just got the metal peices today! shipping was fast. Heres how they look with My Pulse.
the second pic is a close up of the metal. Needs a little trimming then Ill start my wall display. Any thoughts or ideas chime in. Thanks kevin for the thread!

image.jpgimage.jpgHeres pics of the display so far.......I used 1/2 inch plywood sprayed it with krylon fusion black paint. I then used Elmer's spray adhesive to attach the metal to the wood. I bought two 6 ft peices of aluminum trim that I will wrap around the outer edges. More to come.

Ok got more done on the pulse rifle display. Cut and trimmed out the aluminum trim peices. Miterd the corners but not happy with it but calling it done as far as that is concerned. I'm making brackets or hooks to hang the pulse. Heres pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 71
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgOk more work done more pics... Made two aluminum brackets out of inch and a half aluminum. Drilled two holes and used carriage bolts to mount them. These are strong and should take the weight of the Pulse Rifle. Just need to do a little cleanup of the brackets and hang it!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back