Dinner Plate Sized Studio Scale Millennium Falcon

imaginager

Sr Member
Anyone have any info on this model? I grabbed one of the pics that Scott J posted on his SkyDrive. I'd never really noticed before, but it appears that there are some kit parts in evidence. Is this the two-inch model? It sure looks bigger than two inches...

smallMF.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Smallest Studio Scale Millennium Falcon

That's six or seven inches. It was made for the wide shot of the Falcon docked to the medical frigate. The two inch (or perhaps smaller?) was for the wide shot of the Falcon attached to the SD, and can be seen next to it here, in a screencap from the ESB making of special:

I like to think of them as the "Hoth diorama" and "Micro Machine" Falcons. :lol

Last edited:

I remember it being about the size of a dinner plate. I hadn't seen any other reference for it, but the plaque said it was used "to hitch a ride on an unsuspecting Star Destroyer". I called it "Falcon - small" because it was not the 5-foot which was also at the same display. Sorry for the confusion.

It is not as detailed or sexy as the 32" or 5' but charming in the kits parts it does use, plus, lots of pencil lines. I haven't id'ed any of it, but I remember thinking some of the parts looked like 1/700 ship parts. It could make a cool poor man's studio scale Falcon.

The one in question wasn't used for the SD shots. The wide shot used the teeny one, and the closeup used the 32 incher.

It could make a cool poor man's studio scale Falcon.

Kinda what I was thinking. A Falcon I could actually complete in my lifetime, LOL. Below the rear engine deck I'm seeing a couple of F1 brake calipers. I thought there may have been some 1/72 bogeys in the hull access ports, but on looking closer almost everything appears to be naval. The profile of the hull dishes is a little strange. You can see, where the escape pods are located, the dishes look almost solid, or were possibly turned on a lathe? Would have thought vacformed over a Plastruct dish...

I kinda like this little model. BTW, thanks for those pics, Scott.

Allan

I like that ILM would make a ____________ in a different scale, and just loosely interpret the details, as long as they got the major landmarks. It's a reminder to me that even the "big dog" played fast and loose with "accuracy" the way we think about it, and that if you pick a subject you really like, you always have the option/challenge to build it in a different scale and be creative in your greeblies. Heck, they replaced parts when they broke with wildly different pieces and we love them all the same!

That model travels with the 5 footer usually to all the museums. Its "about" 8-10 inches. In the film its used in the medium distance shots of the medical frigate with the Falcon hanging underneath. I'm not 100% positive but I think that is its only screen appearance. Perhaps the shot of the falcon flying away into the galaxy/nebula at the end of ESB as well... the hull is smooth with penciled panel lines and the detailing is pretty light... just a few kit parts here and there where the major detail points on the Falcon are.

To my knowledge nobody has tried this one - there is so little reference for it. the two pics above in this thread are the best ones I have seen. This is the link to the pics I took of it - near the bottom... the last dozen or so in this list. 5 foot Falcon photos

As the link states the rest of the pics are of the 5 footer :)

Jedi Dade

I really like this line of thinking....

I like that ILM would make a ____________ in a different scale, and just loosely interpret the details, as long as they got the major landmarks. It's a reminder to me that even the "big dog" played fast and loose with "accuracy" the way we think about it, and that if you pick a subject you really like, you always have the option/challenge to build it in a different scale and be creative in your greeblies. Heck, they replaced parts when they broke with wildly different pieces and we love them all the same!

As for this falcon, i actually can't believe how cool it is and that i never noticed it that much, I am kind of loving the shape of it...

Hi Gang,

I don't think that was the model hanging under the medical frigate... Here's a screen cap - you can see the cockpit lights

Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

Departing the frigate

Flying off - REALLY tough to tell

On the back of the SD

The First link is the 32" or the CGI version of it. That's not the shot I was referencing. this one is:
Falcon under the belly of the Neb 1.png

Falcon under the belly of the Neb 2.png

Falcon under the belly of the Neb 3.png

The Second one I believe is the same the 32" or a CGI rendition of it.

The Third one is one that I thought "Might be it", but I think its more likely the 32" as it starts in relative close up flies away... the shot then cuts and then comes back to a long distance shot (this one I think is the 10")...

The Fourth one is the 32" placed onto a specially built model of the back of the SD tower This shot is the 2" model:
space tic.png

These are shots that I think might be the 10 incher shot form far away. I think this because we saw that the 10 incher did have lighting in it and these are long shots with the engines visible...
itty bitty ssd bridge shot.png

SSD Distance shot.png

Flying away and getting really small...
Falcon leaving fleet.jpg

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
The First link is the 32" or the CGI version of it. That's not the shot I was referencing. this one is:
View attachment 219360

View attachment 219361

View attachment 219362

Jedi Dade

Those appear to be it! :) That also explains the hole in the back...

That model also is the only one with that shape of opening in the hull (between the cockpit & jaw)

41f.png

The 32'':
millennium-falcon.jpg

5 foot:
2720790583_85928fa999.jpg

2'' (Star Destroyer Bridge)

FALCON_ON_SD.JPG

John

Last edited:
That is correct the pic Jaitea just referenced is the 32" the long shot of the falcon on the back of the SD tower (included in my above post) above is the 2". For this shot they actually built a large section for the SD tower and put the 32" model on it was needed since its a relative close up and the lack of detail on the 2" would show up.

Jedi Dade

That is correct the pic Jaitea just referenced is the 32" the long shot of the falcon on the back of the SD tower (included in my above post) above is the 2". For this shot they actually built a large section for the SD tower and put the 32" model on it was needed since its a relative close up and the lack of detail on the 2" would show up.

Jedi Dade

Yep sorry about that, I can't seem to find any other good photos of the 2" Falcon, I thought there was a good one in the 'Star Wars to Indiana Jones Lucasfilm Archives' book, but it's the 10'' one

John

There aren't many of the 2" There was some of it in someone's hand in one of the behind the scenes/making of videos... not sure which one though.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back