Jaeger Pilot suit - Pacific Rim

Edoardo Tavilla

Hi all! Im new here in RPF but i've lurked for 2 years reading and learning a lot of suggestion and tecniques.
So thank you very much for this fantastic board :D

Since i love Pacific Rim so much i wanna try to build the Jaeger Pilot Suit and i wanna share with you what i'm doing step by step.
First of all im modeling in 3d low poly the entire suit using as reference photo from the film, and it is still a work in progress.

jaeger-pilot-suit-pacific-rim-test_suit.jpg-217404d1375992937

jaeger-pilot-suit-pacific-rim-test_suit3.jpg-217405d1375992948

Update 08/13
http://www.therpf.com/f24/jaeger-pilot-suit-pacific-rim-192227/#post3009323
* WIP 3d Studio Max project file removed -.-
* Chest and Back .obj files released

Attachments

• test_suit.jpg
    test_suit.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 33,688
  • test_suit3.jpg
    test_suit3.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 48,247
Last edited:
Are you planning on 3D printing it like they did for the film or are you creating pepakura files? I've debated making this myself since It seems easy enough either sculpting or vacuum forming. But I will keep an eye on your project for progress. I might use their base design, but make my own style. But then again it's on a list of things I want to do, so... keep up the good work. What 3d program are you using?

Are you planning on 3D printing it like they did for the film or are you creating pepakura files? I've debated making this myself since It seems easy enough either sculpting or vacuum forming. But I will keep an eye on your project for progress. I might use their base design, but make my own style. But then again it's on a list of things I want to do, so... keep up the good work. What 3d program are you using?
I use 3d Studio Max (not the better solution for modeling but i usually use it for work).
I have not a 3D Printer ( sigh :( ) and my solution is for pepakura, i tried also with foam but the problem is that the suit have very curve and smooth part.
I think i will build in resin but i wanna know how "BONDO" is called here in Italy for get more smoothing result.

First attemp of the body, i will re-build cause is very close-fitting and i need 1cm each side for add thickness.
g498.jpg

Awesome. "Bondo" like "Evercoat" is a brand name. What you are looking for is an Auto body filler for dents in cars. I think Evercoat is sold in western Europe. Not really sure about Bondo. Looks good. I tend to us Pvc plastic and make patterns for it and then form onto mannequines or hard templates. I don't do Pepakura. I don't have the patience for paper folding. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup

Awesome. "Bondo" like "Evercoat" is a brand name. What you are looking for is an Auto body filler for dents in cars. I think Evercoat is sold in western Europe. Not really sure about Bondo. Looks good. I tend to us Pvc plastic and make patterns for it and then form onto mannequines or hard templates. I don't do Pepakura. I don't have the patience for paper folding. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup
Thank you, i've used before for IronMan the Auto Body filler but this time im gonna looking for something 'more liquid', if u know what i mean :D

are you going to be selling or offering these files? ive been looking into building one of these myself and would love to have a go at your files, im also building a gypsy danger and striker eureka, so this would go perfect with the set. let me know if you decide to make the files available to the public

suggestion.png
I would love to build this suit so Ill try to help you out, I would suggest looking at the bottom part of the chest again. I did a little ms paint work on it.

ARe you talking about Fiberglass ? Because it has a resin part which is liquid and the glass cloth. Otherwise I can't think of any other resins unless Hodge Podge has something. But then again that shows the limit of what resins I've messed with.

Another update, i think i have to model the basic humanbody in 3ds with my exact measurements cause this is the result
1ljs.jpg
8bb9.jpg

Too much space under the shoulders, i have to re-design the curve of it.
And need some adjustments to the chest width.

Next step is add the right thickness to all parts, more curves overall and a lot of details.

What I would probably do is make the under suit first before continuing. You will probably end up making the chest piece a little bigger because some of the plates sit a little out from the shoulders so arms can move. Do you plan on making the under suit? They also have a piece of thick rubber or foam that goes around the throat and across the shoulders. That is why I would probably do the suit first so you have something to attach the pieces too. Remember the plates move around and under each other so they can walk, bend , flex and swim.
Here is a link to a making of video for the suits.
http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2...f-pacific-rims-bodysuits/#BfFtAzcR0oEYcXuD.01

What I would probably do is make the under suit first before continuing. You will probably end up making the chest piece a little bigger because some of the plates sit a little out from the shoulders so arms can move. Do you plan on making the under suit? They also have a piece of thick rubber or foam that goes around the throat and across the shoulders. That is why I would probably do the suit first so you have something to attach the pieces too. Remember the plates move around and under each other so they can walk, bend , flex and swim.
Here is a link to a making of video for the suits.
http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2...f-pacific-rims-bodysuits/#BfFtAzcR0oEYcXuD.01

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/teranm/suittop_zpsf43180f7.jpg[/URL]

i've watched the video days ago, for the under suit i would probably use a simple zentai or any elastic black suit (also in two parts, is not a problem).
Another fact i'm considering is the right material for create it, i'vent really the time for resin, fiber, body filler, sand it...body filler, sand it...etc... and i need a hint, anyone think i can build all the parts in eva foam? Or will be too much tricky?
(sorry for my very very very bad english lol )

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back