Ultraman/Ultraseven Costume help

MrBackpack

My wife and I have made a goal of getting to SDCC next year, and we've decided to go as characters from the Ultraman series over any comic book character or video game character.

In addition to getting in shape and everything, I really want to figure out how I'm going to build my costume as either the Original Ultraman
ultraman5.jpg

Or Ultraseven:

ultra-seven.jpg

I want to ask a couple of questions about the costumes before I really get into the building and everything. I know that in both shows, and the entire series (minus Ultraman Great) wore rubber suits with zippers down the back and a plastic helmet of some kind. I'm reasonable certain that I can build the helmet, give that I am able to find the files for pepakura. Is there reasonable alternative to the full rubber suit that I could use and paint on or something?

Also, if someone has the files to either of the helmets, could you post them, I haven't been able to find any of them.

From what I understand, both from watching the show and the research that I've been doing: the suits, minus the one mentioned in the OP, were made out of Latex and is sculpted for each individual wear of the suit.

You could make the suits out of 4 way stretch vinyl. Would be hot, but not has hot as rubber and easier to sew. You could get a custom fit and its easier to customize. Spandex World fabric Catalog - Stretch Vinyl

I ordered a couple of samples to see how that works not to mention, even though I know that I'll hate myself, have been looking into the latex side of things.

I, FINALLY, came across a 3d model of ultraseven, but its 10" tall, do you have any idea how to modify it to be 68" tall?

Scale it using a 3d program.
Looking forward to see how it turns out, I'm a huge Ultraman and tokusatu fan.

:O My dad and My childhood show. Omg do ultra seven!!!!

That's the plan.

The sad thing is when I opened my 3d file for Ultraseven, the .obj files were corrupted and only the .pdf files were still okay, but they're of no use to me.

I need to find some kind of file for the helmet and chest armor, I have no skill in sculpting freehand.

EDIT: I'm still waiting on those samples of the stretch vinyl, but I'm still looking at every option that I can consider. Would it be possible to coat a wetsuit in liquid latex?

Last edited:
I recently watched some Ultraman video, & looking at his costume. It looks like an altered wetsuit.

And I would agree with you if I had not seen one of the screen-used suits in Akihabara a few years ago. They really are just latex suits.

I wonder if its possible to paint liquid latex over a wetsuit, like you can with lycra/spandex.

Thanks for the suggestions of the wetsuit and everything, I found a cheap on on craigslist that I'm going to pick up on Monday an see if I can get a skin-like look to the outside.

My main concern right now, is the helmet. There aren't any 3D files that I can find out there and even if I were to import an Ultraman game with Ultraseven, I couldn't even use one of the many PS2 emulators out there because those emulators wouldn't be able to play the game in the first place.

EDIT:

Interesting, It seems like the helmet is more like a hat with a face mask and latex back piece. interesting.
ultra+7+side.jpg

Last edited:
Makes it a lot easier to move your neck around.

Good luck on the build! It'll be interesting to see how you approach this...

I'm thinking of slush casting the face/hat thing with the 'ears' as part of the hard mask to mount the eye and gem lights. The back of the head and neck in the same material as the rest of the body suit, but molded to match the plates of the original. Not to mention I need to figure out how to light the eyes and give myself a bit larger field of view than the original, if possible.

EDIT: the 'eye slugger' (head crest) is going to be molded resin with neodymium magnets that I salvaged out of old hard drives so that I can take it off and have fun with it.

minor update:

My wife and I picked up a cheap-o zentai suit from ebay and we tried to experiment with the making your own latex suit.

Turns out, I'm allergic to latex.

So after a nice several hours in the ER, we're going to be putting ultraseven on the back burner and thinking about a different costume for a while.

I own an ULTRA SEVEN helmet I got off from Ebay (the one with the lights) for about $300 or so including shipping. My only issue with it is that it fits really tight to my head/face, so now I have to expand the back of the helmet, and redo the head "knife".

Now, if you want to go the easy way and have everything done and an easier costume to make or have, I've just stumbled across the net with this one... much better and WAY cheaper than a guy in the Philipines (was asking about $1,200... just crazy):

Cosplay Costumes, Tailor made, commission request, premium costumes, Cosplay

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back