Production Made - ROTJ Royal Guard Helmet

bobasfett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been going through some stuff lately and ran across this nice piece. I've had it for quite some time and thought some would enjoy seeing it. This was probably pulled from the trash during production; a novice cut it off the mold a little unevenly. Unfortunately I don't have the other half in order to make the whole helmet. Thought about just mounting it on a mirror or something.....anyway, cool piece nonetheless.
ROTJ Royal Guard.JPG

It would be nice to scan it, so they can "mirrow" it, and print the complete helmet... i would buy one if you ever do so......

Thanks for posting

Alfredo

Thanks guys....I never thought about scanning it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to do anything with it as it is probably the only way to make it complete.

Thanks guys....I never thought about scanning it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to do anything with it as it is probably the only way to make it complete.

Thanks !

I am pretty sure that either some people from the RPF will be wiling to colaborate or help with this project, and that if you ever make it probably it will be (as far as i know) the ony helmet made from a real production unit.

Please think about it

Best regards

Afredo

that would be sick actually. I'm sure there are plenty of businesses that can 3D scan the helmet and do just that, mirror it and have even a complete printed helmet done. I'm sure the 501st sovereign protectors would love this

I could probably scan it for you, but honestly I wouldn't want you to risk your original piece, so regardless of who you choose I think you should mold the piece and send a cast off for scanning, unless you find a place cheap enough near you, where you can go along for the scanning session. Don't let the original piece out of your sight - I mainly don't trust the postal system, in case it gets lost. That would be a real shame and loss.

Another thing... the two sides of the helmet aren't exactly identical, so mirroring the scanned piece to print out both sides may not generate an accurate helmet, but may be good enough for a decent looking helmet, based on an authentic casting. However, there was a guy selling Altmanns prototype casts that was claimed to have come off an original and if a deal could be made with him for the other side of the helmet, then the two can be merged digitally before creating the physical piece. At least that's another option.

Too Much Garlic, you are right. But even though it would not be as the original, it is still the closest that it could be done. And you could also change the other side after scanning, so it could look more "original" (by changing or adding some slopes or curves...)

I think that it is really a very interesting project.

Alfredo

I could probably scan it for you, but honestly I wouldn't want you to risk your original piece, so regardless of who you choose I think you should mold the piece and send a cast off for scanning, unless you find a place cheap enough near you, where you can go along for the scanning session. Don't let the original piece out of your sight - I mainly don't trust the postal system, in case it gets lost. That would be a real shame and loss.

Another thing... the two sides of the helmet aren't exactly identical, so mirroring the scanned piece to print out both sides may not generate an accurate helmet, but may be good enough for a decent looking helmet, based on an authentic casting. However, there was a guy selling Altmanns prototype casts that was claimed to have come off an original and if a deal could be made with him for the other side of the helmet, then the two can be merged digitally before creating the physical piece. At least that's another option.

Well, to alter shapes, it is better to have another scan as a guide, something that has relative close accuracy to the original. That was the thought regarding combining.

And if I'm not wrong, it's made out of "pinseal/haircell" ABS jsut like the biker scout, isn't it?

Scanning and mirroring it could be a good idea, but would make it symetrical....

Nice piece!!

Too much garlic is right, both sides are not exactly the same. And yes, it is haircell ABS like all the other vac formed ROTJ parts. It would be a nice offering if someone could somehow pull off the left side of the helmet either by sculpting or scanning. Those that know me know I am not one to let my pieces out to mold in order to make reproductions. That and the fact that I have seen so many nefarious dealings between people on these boards make that option a no go.

Its such a cool bit of SW history, but to be honest, it doesn't exactly fit my collection focus. Maybe the answer is selling it to someone that can make this project happen. Ill have to really think about this and whether I would let it go.

Too much garlic is right, both sides are not exactly the same. And yes, it is haircell ABS like all the other vac formed ROTJ parts. It would be a nice offering if someone could somehow pull off the left side of the helmet either by sculpting or scanning. Those that know me know I am not one to let my pieces out to mold in order to make reproductions. That and the fact that I have seen so many nefarious dealings between people on these boards make that option a no go.

Its such a cool bit of SW history, but to be honest, it doesn't exactly fit my collection focus. Maybe the answer is selling it to someone that can make this project happen. Ill have to really think about this and whether I would let it go.

I remember discussing this with someone before when I was living up north. I was volunteering at a studio that produced all the statues, emblems, seals, pretty much anything artistic for Florida State. They have a 3d scanner and he didn't live too far away. Told him that if was concerned about it, he could just travel with it and get it done with him being present. Actually, I just noticed you're in Tampa. I'm positive that there are places in the Orlando area that can do this kind of service.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back