Discovery Channel Shark Week's Megaldon special

BDK

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, watching this Shark Week's kick off special. Am I the only one that feels like they are pulling a Mermaid on this one and making a 2 hour fake documentary?

Some of the evidence so far is just looks either faked or CG. Especially the dead whale and the Nazi pictures.

Who needs such things as bothersome scientific methods or facts. In the last few years Shark Week has degenerated from being about sharks to being sensationalistic and things like "Americas Deadliest Shark Attacks". I loved his explanation "why couldn't it be megalodon". There's a scientific conclusion if I've ever heard one.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Better suited as a SYFY channel movie. All nonsense. Hardly an auspicious start to Shark Week. And the "Shark after Dark" show afterward was horrendous...."have you ever tasted your own chum?", "so, you've actually splashed chum on your face?". THIS is how far they're sinking these days? Maybe Shark Week has finally jumped the shark. Stick to the shark DOCUMENTARIES!

Maybe they finally did. Hopefully we'll pick up some more actual documentaries this week instead of just utter trash.

Yeah it was fake. I turned it on and figured that by the video they showed. The beached whale looked fake too. I guess Discovery and Animal Planet didn't think their reputation was significantly destroyed by that Mermaid show. If a whale washed up that they could prove was killed with one bite taking its tale off, it would be major news.

Megalodon is basically the real life King of The Monsters. I mean this animal really is everybody's worst nightmare. Pity it has to be reduced to the subject matter of bad documentaries and movies like Shark Attack 3. At least most aquariums still have a massive set of those jaws to scare people with.

On a serious Megalodon note, one thing that I find curious is that they estimate that it went extinct between 10,000 and 1 million years ago. Yet, its teeth are so easily found in the sand on the sea floor with little effort. If it went extinct so long ago, shouldn't its teeth be more deeply concealed within the ocean floor? I'm not an expert, obviously. I just find it strange that the teeth of a long extinct behemoth like this are so readily found and with such frequency (even I have one), by just scratching around in the sand.

My 9 year old son has decided Megalodon is not its own separate species, but rather a product of the goldfish effect applied to Great Whites. No DNA or hard evidence to say it's a different species. Given the proper food supply, no reason we can't have them still.

your 9 year old could out smart these "scientist". shark week has become lame sadly, some ok stuff sure. a few years ago they did something cool for shark week, they had all the major shows doing some sort of shark week special, mythbusters, dirty jobs etc.. that was fun, people we know doing something with sharks, better than some supposed scientist speaking as a 3rd grade teacher does to their students... umm that was a very mild rant, apologies.

They redeemed themselves slightly with "The Return of Jaws" tonight. Really cool to see such big whites returning to the Northeast. Some it was just like watching Jaws, given the location, some of the shots, and the size of "Large Marge". Amazing that such a huge shark hunts in such shallow water so close to the beach. The sharks can very obviously take people whenever they want to, yet seem to choose not to. Still, given what was seen in this program, I'd be firmly planted on the beach. If you have no clue that they sharks are there, ignorance is bliss I suppose. But everybody knows they're back in a big way. Why tempt fate by going for a swim when they're coming that close to the beach? I was amazed they waited as long as they did in tracking Large Marge to alert the authorities that a white shark was near the beach. If that wasn't just a "stunt" for the show to create the impression of greater drama than was actually at work, then WOW!

My 9 year old son has decided Megalodon is not its own separate species, but rather a product of the goldfish effect applied to Great Whites. No DNA or hard evidence to say it's a different species. Given the proper food supply, no reason we can't have them still.

Interesting theory and not too unreasonable however, scientists have had a long established history and practiceof identifying new species of extinct creatures based on teeth alone and that's clearly what they've done in the case of the Megaladon. You have to remember that the recreations that we see are just that and are based on the fact that the teeth resemble those of a Great White and that's all they're based on and I don't recall ever reading anybody saying that they're identical to those of a Great White except in size, just that they resemble them. Until/unless we find either a mummified Meg or an impression of one there's no telling what they really looked like although the teeth would suggest they and Great Whites are related species, probably in the same family but not likely the same species.

On a serious Megalodon note, one thing that I find curious is that they estimate that it went extinct between 10,000 and 1 million years ago. Yet, its teeth are so easily found in the sand on the sea floor with little effort. If it went extinct so long ago, shouldn't its teeth be more deeply concealed within the ocean floor? I'm not an expert, obviously. I just find it strange that the teeth of a long extinct behemoth like this are so readily found and with such frequency (even I have one), by just scratching around in the sand.

Ten thousand to a million years is a pretty short time in geological terms and given the changes in levels and ranges of the oceans that the Megs once roamed it's not that hard to believe that their teeth are that (relatively) easy to find. What was once deep ocean in Meg's day could easily be coastal waters today or even dry land making their teeth much easier to find than one would think.

Meg teeth are routinely found in quarries near Santa Cruz, California, above Scotts Valley. They are not that rare.

Because there was a huge ocean that covered most of central North America , the Meg teeth are found over most of the Midwest.

Living Megladons are very commonly found today in the deepest oceans and are as common as these occurrences in the mid-western section of the United States!
sharknado.jpg

Attachments

• sharknado.jpg
    sharknado.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 55
I just wished I lived close enough to a spot to hunt for Megalodon teeth. I love fossil hunting, but I think everywhere to hunt them is south of me. Ohio was a big ocean, but could the Megalodon have been there? Noooo... :lol

I have watched shark week since I was a kid. The past few years have included a couple more laughable entries or shock value shows, but I still enjoy the ride.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back