ELEMENTARY: Sherlock Holmes costume discussion

Risu

Master Member
So to get it out of the way quickly, no it's not as interesting as the costume in Sherlock, but the show is fantastic and I'm interested in the costume, so I thought it would be good to start a thread to compile info on the parts of his outfit/s. I've got some info to start it off, and I'm hoping others can fill in more.

First of all, some high res photos:

http://images.wikia.com/cbselementa..._photo_of_Joan_Watson_and_Sherlock_Holmes.jpg

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/tv/w...-Lee-Miller-in-ELEMENTARY-Season-1-Poster.jpg

http://media.zenfs.com/es_AR/News/reporteronline.com.ar/elementary.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/cbselementa..._still_of_Sherlock_Holmes_and_Joan_Watson.jpg

And from an interview with the costume designer I found, the black coat is from Tom Ford, so probably multiple thousands of dollars. I looked through the Tom Ford catalogs available on the web site already and couldn't find an exact model.

He frequently wears pants from H&M, their slim chinos that are priced at $30. I have a pair myself and was able to ID them from the watch pocket on the right side. I recognized the navy blue and grey ones in different episodes, and he may also wear them in khaki, but I couldn't spot the watch pocket to confirm.

The part that interests me the most are the shoes in the last picture I linked. Unfortunately I couldn't find a better picture, but he wears them the most frequently in the series. They're distressed black shoes or short boots with a tan/brown possibly suede toe cap. I'd also love to know where the scarf came from. In the third picture it looks like the scarf either changes from red to blue in the middle or he's wearing two different scarves.

Hopefully somebody else has taken an interest in this costume as well and will chime in.

Based on the soles, I have a THEORY that most of his shoes are All Saints, but I haven't found any matches yet.

I have the scarf. Paul Smith Jeans, reversable red and grey, £60. I had to order one from Harvey Nichols in London.

- - - Updated - - -

060.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the ID. Unfortunately it looks like it's not around any more, but I'll keep my eyes open. Can you share the length and width for reference?

I just discovered this show and have been binge-watching season 1. I hate to admit that I like it way more than the BBC's "Sherlock"!

There are two really helpful pics on the Elementary tumblr blog that identify some pieces: 1) http://officialcbselementary.tumblr.com/image/83708359784 2) http://officialcbselementary.tumblr.com/image/80868894605

Here's what those pics tell us:
- Shoes are by John Varvatos
- Pea coat is by Tom Ford
- Lapel pin is a "vintage Royal Marines pin"
- Socks are by Hot Sox
- Pants are by Gap and Ted Baker
- Blazer by All Saints
- Plaid button-down shirt by Theory

There are some good alts shown on this blog: http://elementarycosplay.tumblr.com/

The "I am not lucky I am good" shamrock t-shirt is available at Cafe Press: http://www.feistees.com/items/i-am-not-lucky-i-am-good-2806/

That's all for now...

Thanks for the post! I contacted the costume designer directly a while back and she informed me his waistcoat was by Rag & Bone, so it could be either. She also told me about the Varvatos shoes, but in my off and on ebay searches I haven't been able to find a single pair. The pants he frequently wears are actually a staple of H&M. I owned a pair of the blue ones he wore in season 1 and when I went to get more I got the style he ended up wearing in season 2 in grey. I'm actually wearing them now and they'll likely be replaced soon. H&M doesn't last.

Oh, and I also got the Paul Smith scarf some time ago. They're frequently on ebay, it's not a very practical scarf though, it's very thin cotton.

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I found this forum in my fruitless but ongoing search to acquire the Paul Smith Jeans scarf that some of you seem lucky enough to have gotten a hold of.

If anyone has any leads or is interested in parting with theirs please PM me.

For those still looking his shoes are John V. Fleetwood double lace

- - - Updated - - -

Found this on eBay as well http://m.ebay.com/itm/221882755630

Hello all!

I've recently discovered Elementary and I absolutely love it! After binge watching the whole of series one I decided I fancied a scarf like Sherlock's and was disappointed to discover that similar scarves are difficult to come across and a PSJ scarf is even less likely!

I was, however, lucky enough to find a PSJ scarf on eBay for a tenner - the only catch is that it's the orange/green colourway instead of the screen used red/grey variant. That said, it still has the same cut, drape, and feel and I really love the way it looks. I'm not looking to do an Elementary cosplay, but I dress fairly similarly already anyway, so I thought this would be a welcome addition to my wardrobe.

IMG_20151217_134206.JPG

It's nice to know these are still kicking around! From what I can tell, they only came in these two colour variants...

Cheers guys!

RG.

That's the right color. Color grading throws it off sometimes, and at some point in the series, they stitched a grey wool scarf on top of the green side.

That's the right color. Color grading throws it off sometimes, and at some point in the series, they stitched a grey wool scarf on top of the green side.

Well colour me impressed then! I seem have done well with this stroke of eBay based luck. Thanks for the info, mate!

I noticed that they'd sewn a heavier grey scarf to the green side - it was used during the winter-set episodes, wasn't it. The scarf then looked much too chunky to my mind...

RG

For the record, I'm skeptical of the lapel pin being a 'vintage Royal Marines' anything. In the best screencaps / promo photos I can find, it looks like a decorative button with a Greco-Roman bust on it.

Attachments

• Elementary-4.jpg
    Elementary-4.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 288
  • ELE-castpair201i.jpg
    ELE-castpair201i.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 004gallery_01_elementary.jpg
    004gallery_01_elementary.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
For the record, I'm skeptical of the lapel pin being a 'vintage Royal Marines' anything. In the best screencaps / promo photos I can find, it looks like a decorative button with a Greco-Roman bust on it.

I have a theory that the lapel pin changed. Originally it seems to have been reported as a Shilling coin that Miller himself made into a pin to give the character a personal touch, but it seems to have changed at some point and been reported as a Royal Marines pin - that said, I agree that it seems to of Greco-Roman design...

It'd be interesting to get to the bottom of this...!

RG

So it looks like some of the commenters are claiming that the "official Sherlock" scarf was in fact the green/red colourway, even though member Sam posted a really gray/red looking one. Could Sam confirm that his is actually gray/red and not just photographed weirdly? I've been searching for this scarf forever and am trying to figure out if there were two colourways or just one. Also, does anyone have any tips where to look other than eBay? Or is interested in selling theirs?
Thanks,
Kelly

Speaking of the pin, a helpful commenter on my blog steered me towards an old Greek coin with Arethusa on it. Appears to be a dead ringer for the lapel pin. I lucked out on finding an old British Museum souvenir pin / badge based on such on eBay. Diameter is ~ 20mm or 3/4 inches. Seems a bit small to me, but I'm very confident that's the right track. Good hunting.

-MJ

Ugh, I have discovered at least two more variations on Holmes' lapel pin.

One appears to be a British Sovereign coin, circa 1887-1892. I hope it's a replica of some sort, because that's a gold coin and they cost a small fortune. Note that it does not appear to be the half-sovereign, but the full sovereign (lettering is different).

The other does in fact appear to be the much rumored Royal Marines pin / cap badge / whatever. I cannot be sure what the size of the real one is, and there are many replicas (lapel pins, cap badges, cufflinks, etc).

The much enlarged blurry images are from promo stills, the 'found objects' are from the internet.

Attachments

• 81UkVQPMYCL._UX385_.jpg
    81UkVQPMYCL._UX385_.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 453328419-A.jpg
    453328419-A.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 476
  • 1887-92 GB Gold Sovereign Victoria Jubilee 22mm.jpg
    1887-92 GB Gold Sovereign Victoria Jubilee 22mm.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 179
  • ELE-miller302i_FULL-A.jpg
    ELE-miller302i_FULL-A.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 277
So it looks like some of the commenters are claiming that the "official Sherlock" scarf was in fact the green/red colourway, even though member Sam posted a really gray/red looking one. Could Sam confirm that his is actually gray/red and not just photographed weirdly? I've been searching for this scarf forever and am trying to figure out if there were two colourways or just one. Also, does anyone have any tips where to look other than eBay? Or is interested in selling theirs?
Thanks,
Kelly

Some of the hi res promo images, especially in external scenes do reveal the scarf to be more deep pinkish/orange, mint green and navy rather than the red/grey that it appears on screen. I believe this is be the only version of the scarf that Paul Smith Jeans produced.

s-l1600.jpg

There are actually variants, which might just be dye lots. I've seen the red look more brick orange and I've seen the green look more dark blue.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back