mother of pearl pistol grips?

Sean

Sr Member
Hey everyone. just me again. I was just wondering If anyone here has worked with mother of pearl before. I would like too make a pair of pistol grips for an all aluminum sand man gun. I think It would look cool as hell.

But I have know idea were to start. and I would want them to look like this. 6.jpg but for a DS gun....

Any help or tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

Hey Sean,

I've had pretty good results with pearlising medium you can get from craft shops or ebay Mother of Pearl Acrylic Craft Paint - 59ml | eBay

You just spray your grips matt or satin white, then brush on a couple of layers of pearl paint.

The effect is a little washed out by the flash in this pic, but you get the idea:

2rrw588.jpg

On black:

mhd5zr.jpg

There are a few different brands and shades, the one I listed is the one I found most effective. Don't go for the Plastikote spray stuff, it comes out a weird green colour :behave

Good luck!

Iv'e been looking into painting techniques. only thing I found so far was three different nail polishes.
But that looks allot better...

Thanks Birdie. your always a big help too me.... And those guns are rockin cool....Did you make the snubby BR blaster?

It's a Doppelganger kit. I decided not to go with the standard amber grips and pimp it out a bit. I've actually reworked it since, and gone really bling, with a gold paintjob. Haven't actually finished it yet 'cos I got distracted with other things, so it'll either look wicked cool or totally horrible :lol

Here's a slightly different effect I got using the pearl paint on one of the R&J magplates:

2cnf6ex.jpg

That looks great! and I'm sure the BR blaster will come out wicked cool. thanks for the pic's and help. and the distraction thing. do not feel alone. I have so many put on hold projects. that I hate too even think about it. went and got the closest thing I could find in the mother of pearl paint. going to try some in a few. cheers dude....

Sean....

Trying some test before I try the grips. but It's just not working for me. wish somebody knew how and what they make the real grips with...IMG_0405.JPG

I found some 1911 pearl grips (acrylic) on eBay that I used for a Vincent Vega pistol I did a few months ago. They were $60, IIRC, but looked really good:

They do look good. and another member here pointed me to the same acrylic pearl material grips on ebay. If I can find a source for that material. that's what I will use. and the gun looks awesome. thanks MV. just wondering now if cutting and shaping and polishing the acrylic pearl would't be to difficult.

Well If I wanted white marble grips. I would be jumping for joy. no joy. LOL
Found the plastic stuff. If I want tons of it. no joy there yet ether. and please no comments on the side plates. there just fill in's till material arrival.....I hate paint and it has no love for me ether.... IMG_0406.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Sean,
Did you use Mother of Pearl Acrylic Craft Paint on the grips? I’ve just ordered some on eBay (thanks for the info Birdie).
I was hoping I can get a better result than the “marble” ones I did. I’m going to try it on some scrap first. I’m thinking of putting it on in a very thick coat over a gloss white base. Then I’ll sand it smooth and finish with gloss lacquer. I’m not sure if this will turn out better than the results I already have, but it’s worth a try.

dsr10.jpg

Hi Sean,
Did you use Mother of Pearl Acrylic Craft Paint on the grips? I’ve just ordered some on eBay (thanks for the info Birdie).
I was hoping I can get a better result than the “marble” ones I did. I’m going to try it on some scrap first. I’m thinking of putting it on in a very thick coat over a gloss white base. Then I’ll sand it smooth and finish with gloss lacquer. I’m not sure if this will turn out better than the results I already have, but it’s worth a try.

http://www.tobor2.com/temp/dsr10.jpg

No. all I could find at my hobby store was plain pearl. I mixed a few silver streaks into that. going too order some of the mother of pearl myself...

And your gun still looks AWESOME! hoping to get mine cleaned up after all the dirty work is through...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back