How do you guys cut your sheet styreen and get those perfect angles?

jake88

Sr Member
If the plastic is .020 or thicker I use scissors and this leads to bowing and bad lines. How do you master scratch builders do it?:unsure

Scribe with a knife (exacto or box) using a metal straight edge as a guide, then flex on the scribe line and it will snap a straight line.
I've done it on up to 1/8" styrene and ABS.

tools like this are useful:
82439.jpg
I use an OLFA 300 knife like this one:
images.jpg
And like mentioned above, cut a few times then snap it over to separate. Thin styrene like .5mm can be cut right through on one pass and I use a self healing cutting matt. Sometimes the thicker styrene can leave a bit of a bur or a raised edge, I just drag my knife blade across or use a file to remove it.
This is useful too, make sure you get the thin beam square, not the traditional square.
83261_R.jpg

As has already been said, a sharp scalpel or Xacto will do the trick. I don't have an engineer's square, I use an aluminium ruler with a rubbery underside so that it doesn't slip. Seems to work for me; curves are more the tricky part, but apply the same scribe, cut, snap technique and it should work out fine

the machinist squares are small, only 4 inches long, and have a low profile so they lay flat on thin sheet material like styrene. If you notice in the two lower pictures the traditional square sits high, where as the thin-beam sits low and the cutting edge is close to the material you're cutting.
Make sense?

Ah yes, it does, although I was looking around for squares and carpenter squares seem to not have a raised edge like the ones above, instead shaped completely flat on both sides of the right angle. I was wondering if those would work for thin styrene too, though perhaps a little less accurate?... huh.

Ah yes, it does, although I was looking around for squares and carpenter squares seem to not have a raised edge like the ones above, instead shaped completely flat on both sides of the right angle. I was wondering if those would work for thin styrene too, though perhaps a little less accurate?... huh.

I'm quite sure those would work just as well, if you can find small ones. Most of the stuff I cut is not very big, so that's why I use the machinist square.

Stores like TAP Plastics sell knifes specifically for cutting plastic. They have a very even V profile.

Last edited:
I never get the length of the cut perfect or at a perfect 90 degree angle, so after the "scribe and snap" technique described above I use sandpaper to sand the side I just cut and use a square to make sure the angle is 90 degrees. If I ever have to have a different angle I'll get one of those protractors for cutting angles from the hardware store.

I think the problem some guys have with the scribe and snap method is that they just bend it in one direction until it snaps. for a cleaner cut bend it half way in the outer direction, then snap it off back in the other direction. if that makes sense.

Also a variety of straight edges is useful. Thin metal for example can be useful for cutting something that isn't flat... Also follow the measure twice cut once methodology... line it up - take a good look at it, measure if applicalble and then holding the straightedge firmly (sometimes I'll tape it or clamp it for a long cut) ... Then cut.

And when using the exacto knife scribe and snap method, I use a new(ish) blade and make several light passes each one getting a little deeper until its almost cut through then snap. If the styrene is thin the snap step is usually not needed ;)

Jedi Dade

I go between a scalpel with a steel ruler and engineers square and a laser cutter if I'm feeling lazy or cutting complex shapes that I can't do by hand or need tight tolerances. As for circles I prefer a set of dividers over a circle cutter I find the circle cutter flexes to much and I end up with the cut spiralling out or in.

If you get a set of these and grind the tips to a sharp point they will work a lot better than a circle cutter on styrene. Just search dividers on Amazon and you can pick them up fairly cheaply.
31F1P6E2EDL._SX450_.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back