A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes - Journey COMPLETE!!

!!! and we're correcting the male ones also...***** ****** this is amazing. I just need a lawn chair and a beer and I'll be set.
I seriously wonder if the prop dept just lathed their own cones as well - since it seems to be such an easy option for fan-prop-makers...

Probably not, Markus. I put my cone adapter to my grinding wheel and still couldn't get it to fit. :/ Finally had to take them to the shop and machine them all down (might as well get them ready for my run of emitters ;) )

Here are some better pics:

Nice new emitter face detail added!

http://www.romanprops.com/correctedbp5

Nice new bevel added underneath and there you have it!!! :cheers

http://www.romanprops.com/correctedbp6

How on earth did you manage to get the flat surface recessed like that, is the male balance pipe thick enough to be able to do that? I mean have enough metal that it can be lathed (or milled?) down?
DSC03785.JPG

Yeah, it's about 1/8" (maybe a bit more) thick under those holes. So milling it down was no problem. :) Still plenty of 'meat' left over.

That is simply wicked, I'd never have guessed or even thought that could have been done - simply wish I had a milling machine/lathe etc oh and the nouce to be able to use them to be able to machine them, absolutely brilliant.

I was 99% sure about the modifications succes,hat's why I offered this idea for the group buy.

The male ad femade are two part pieces,it's just for ecomomic reason:

-first is it that's it's easier to machine two parts instead of creating a very deep groove on the back,especially with inconel.

-second is because it permits exactly same rear parts,so only one kind of rear design and production,more economic.
The different fronts go on same rear so the thickness of available metal on the holes section is same on both fronts,easy to see on russrep 2 part emitters.

The rough thickness on this area is about 4mm on the rear part,means about 5mm on the front part on female,seems the male is a little bit thicker than this,maybe one extra half millimeter?!
It means about 5,5mm thickness around the 16-holes section on males,and leaving 2mm on the female,once the 3mm deep round groove with 45° slope is done.

The only reason I didn't affirm it was modifiable with 100% of succes is the 1% doubt I may have,especially for aesthetics reasons(no original patina on modified areas,different outer diameter,different thickness,and the slope on outer diameter removes patina too,not really nice look,means re-create a full real patina,lots of work)

I would keep my male as it is,but now,I think to change it to a female but fully,including diameter increasing,thickness reducing and full new patina.
I have a second pommel now,and another grenade,clamp and bubble strip,so,with modified emitter,would make two 80% vintage sabers,funny...

Would make 3 sabers:
-a high lever full reveal,dissassemblable with scifi technology,even inside pomme and emitter,(50% external part self made,100% internal part self made)
-a "lower lever" full reveal or partial reveal fx,but using vintage part without any modification on them(different challenge)
-a third saber maybe fx reveal,but maybe for sale,or trade,don't know.

Of course I will take shots of the results and post them on my facebook page,and on the forum!

Happily I came across an emitter cone I built a while back out of a real-world found part (sourced from a commercial dish washer).

As easy as a milled cone would be I'm excited to be able to keep my 'real parts' ANH saber with actual 'real parts'- i.e. no clamp spacer or replica parts.

(The post on the bottom fits inside the brass neck on the grenade)

37397957717751-vi.jpg

I can't believe you held out as long as you did! I was checking the tracking at least every hour when then shipped over from the UK.

Last edited:
I had other parts on order so it made sense to just ship everything together and save on the shipping cost. I know Roman didn't expect the delay with the no logo clamps, this was a fantastic surprise.

Would anyone be willing to take some accurate mm measurements of this part? I'm trying to make a CAD model. Thanks

Is there anybody in the UK who can replay the One Show from either wednesday 27th or thursday the 28th of April on BBC i-Player to the section where some Arts-and-craftsman is being interviewed about metal scultpings or such straight in front of a possibly Rolls Royce Derwent Engine? And please get back here to report the craftsman name and workshop location or investigate further where that item of the One Show was shot? This might be another new lead on those 9 OB1 emitters + the Male versions and 9 x IG-88 heads. Alas being in the Netherlands I don't get access to the BBC i-Player hence my request :)

Chaim

I can check at home with a VPN hider... report the name...

but being in Canada, I won't be able to do much with that info.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back