A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes - Journey COMPLETE!!

I found one here in the UK. If it's the correct model and suitable for a group buy, I want in.
Rolls Royce Derwent Engine - New Old Stock £4950 or best offer.

HOLY MOLY! And here I am in the US... GRRRRRR Just think of all the greeblies to be had from that one engine! :)

Last edited:
I'd remove links to this before some trigger-happy newbie (no offense) alerts the seller as to what it is. Best thing to do is get one person that knows the correct model numbers to get in touch with the seller and make sure it's the correct engine.

Again, I would remove links to this. Our last deal was increased by thousands of dollars because of some trigger-happy loud mouths (no offense). :cry

That's a lot... is that like 8 grand canadian?

Can't do much from where I am... but I'd be in on the group buy.... if it can be proved as the correct model before purchase.

Missed out on the original... Hopefully can rectify that! Come on UK-ers... who's hardcore enough to go after this?

Edit - killed quoted link

I'd remove links to this before some trigger-happy newbie (no offense) alerts the seller as to what it is. Best thing to do is get one person that knows the correct model numbers to get in touch with the seller and make sure it's the correct engine.

Again, I would remove links to this. Our last deal was increased by thousands of dollars because of some trigger-happy loud mouths (no offense). :cry

I would wholeheartedly agree with this...

I think i´ve read somewhere that severeal versions exist, not all have the right balance pipes - and that you only know if you got the correct ones, or wasted your money, after disassembling, cause from the outside all look the same?

Yep.... nine sets of balance pipes.... nine burner cans for IG-88 heads/cantina lamps.... I was told a speeder part.... anyone know of anything else?

Hey E,

They were also used as part of the Millennium Falcon's quad laser - the barrels went in and out of the tips of the cans. :)

There is another part of the engine (what looks to be covered with paper) that was used in the Millennium Falcon main hold and was mounted to the ceiling.

Last edited:
I think i´ve read somewhere that severeal versions exist, not all have the right balance pipes - and that you only know if you got the correct ones, or wasted your money, after disassembling, cause from the outside all look the same?

Yep... I am aware of one instance where this has already happened recently....

Description says it was never fitted - would it have had the upgrade?

I only can speak for machinery developed and sold by our company, but i assume it fit´s for this too:

From the point when improvements were made it goes directly in the regular production, Old spare parts that were made before that date, but not delivered then, were refitted, parts replaced.
Old stuff already in customers hand get´s a refit if he wants and pays for it, and if he decides the old stuff works good enough so it´s not worth to pay for the refit he´s free to use it as is.

Flip a coin, if the seller can´t say anything helpfull.

From the point when improvements were made it goes directly in the regular production, Old spare parts that were made before that date, but not delivered then, were refitted, parts replaced.

I'm not sure this would have been the mentality back then. Plus it was wartime. And probably deep into its full production life cycle at the point the upgrade was developed since the upgrade was good for Mk 9's and back through the 8's. More data is needed, but preferably you are right, thus the chances of this being good would be increased.

Hey E,

They were also used as part of the Millennium Falcon's quad laser - the barrels went in and out of the tips of the cans. :)

There is another part of the engine (what looks to be covered with paper) that was used in the Millennium Falcon main hold and was mounted to the ceiling.

The one I took apart here had the wrong flame tubes and pipes, but most of the rest is SW correct. The Lars Family speeder stuff, and the T16 stuff is all correct. So is the Death Star Turbo Laser stuff.

It's all available too.

- - - Updated - - -

It´s easy to find out if it´s the correct one - someone has to take his money and buy it. Then pray it´s correct so he can recoup his expense. :D

Having personally taken one apart completely, I now know how to tell within a better range of certainty whether its the right balance pipes or not. I'd need some photos and measurements of certain parts.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back