Iron Man mk3 helmets. WAR MACHINE STYLE HELMET ADDED

jordan6n3

Hi everyone, found this forum from a search in google for some help, I've wanted to build a mk3 helmet for some time now but had no idea how to get started. After a while I came across a really cheap fiberglass helmet on ebay so though why not, being fiberglass I didn't expect great quality and I was right

When it arrived it looked ok but it was littered with cracks, splits, low spots and a little misshaped, I am car spray painter to trade but I also do alot of bodywork so I though I'd give it a god and see how far I can go with it, I'm going to try get it to as near perfect as possible as its just going to be kept as a sort of show piece, I don't have any pictures of how bad it was to start with but here is a couple of the in progress pics

there was a hell of alot more work after that but I never got any pictures,

I took it into work to use the booth and give it its first couple coats of primer to see how it looks and how the new lines lined up

some lines still need tidying up and a few more low spots showed up that I missed buts its 100x better than how I got it

I have sourced a colour for the red that I think is pretty close to the original but i'm not 100% sure if the red is a satin finish or if its a gloss finish, does anyone else know? and also I'm quite stuck on what gold to use, I have a few golds that look really close to a real gold but theyre not like the one I have see in the film so if anyone has any advice on what gold is best that would be great

thanks
Jordan

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man mk3 helmet

I think for now I'll leave it as one piece and just cut out the eyes, if it turns out the way I want it I might try another and cut it

Nice clean up work :thumbsup, I think that may be a recast of the helmet off the sideshow toys Iron Man mrk III bust. They're all over evil bay.

yeh it most likely is, I found this one on ebay

thanks for the compliment

Gave it a quick rub down today to see whats what, as you can see the primer has showed up a few high spots and alot of pin holes but I should have these sorted by the weekend and then re primed on saturday

spent a bit more time on the helmet, after it was primed some of the lines were slightly faded so I spent a few hours adding the lines back in and adding a bit of depth to them for a more realistic look

unfortunately the primer had filled in the screw/bolts on the helmet

So I took a few measurements and have remade these as stickers, once I apply the bas coat colour i will apply the sticker and then satin lacquer the full helmet, sealing the sticker under the lacquer so they can't peal off

few more last touches and its ready for paint

finally got round to getting some paint on it tonight

first off was the silver undercoat

then the red base coat

then finally the satin lacquer

just need to let the lacquer dry and then prep the faceplate for the gold to be applied and then finish off a couple more small details

I've seen a few of these on eBay, who was the seller?

You've done an exceptionally good job on this, great work!

ok so i've been busy working on a couple more of these for other people

2 are being used in a feature, this one has been colour matched to the owners car witch is matt black and matt grey

straight black applied

faceplate was then masked off and painted grey and then the whole helmet was finished with a matt lacquer

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back