Rather buy Original/Screen-Used Props or Replicas?

Carrossea

Hi, so I was just curious about what other collectors' preferences are. Do you guys prefer buying screen-used/production/original props or replicas?

Of course replicas have the luxury of being props that you might not be able to obtain the original of (impossible to get or is way too expensive). But at the same time, there are lots of replicas that people buy that are quite expensive already. Would you rather hang onto that money that you could have spent on a replica and invest that money into an original prop? Or do you prefer having a larger quantity in your collection, so would rather spend that money on many replicas rather than one expensive screen-used one?

I've always had issues deciding on what to spend my money on. For instance, I can spend about $500 on a well-made replica, or I can spend $2500 on the real thing. As collectors, we're probably going to blow that $2500 eventually ;). It's just a matter of getting lots of props with the $2500, or just get one original prop for that same price. Because of this dilemma though, my collection remains very small, as I try to be as careful as I can, making sure that I must really want the prop before buying.

What about you guys?

Last edited:
For me, it is accuracy over quantity. If I can get the real thing (original prop) that is what I try to do. I don't need a lot of pieces in my collection, but I want the pieces I have to be the absolute best of the best. I know, for many, the appeal is in the satisfaction of building it yourself and creating something. My skillset is extremely limited, so that isn't necessarily my goal. It is more about obtaining that perfect representation of the piece I was amazed by when watching the movie. I would take one perfect original prop over a dozen replicas. This doesn't mean that originals are "better" than replicas, but originals satisfy my personal need for accuracy much better. I often finnd myself frustrated by my replicas because I tend to see their flaws. With original pieces, it is what it is and there is a level of satisfaction I get there that I don't get from many of my replicas.

With that being said... from time to time, there are replicas I prefer over an original piece or that tend to negate my desire for an original piece. For example: for years, I have had my eye on a production made Boba Fett stunt helmet. The stunt helmets were created for Return of the Jedi by casting the Empire Strikes back helmet. Because it was for production, the casting is quick and the stunt helmets were made out of a rubbery plastic, making them less than ideal. Recently, eFX was allowed to directly cast the Empire Strikes back helmet. Their castings were absolutely pristine and perfect, perhaps one of the best castings I have ever seen. Suddenly, my long time desire for that production stunt helmet went to zero because even though it was made for the movie, it is an inferior casting and the replica that eFX made was infinitely better.

For me, it is accuracy over quantity. If I can get the real thing (original prop) that is what I try to do. I don't need a lot of pieces in my collection, but I want the pieces I have to be the absolute best of the best. I know, for many, the appeal is in the satisfaction of building it yourself and creating something. My skillset is extremely limited, so that isn't necessarily my goal. It is more about obtaining that perfect representation of the piece I was amazed by when watching the movie. I would take one perfect original prop over a dozen replicas. This doesn't mean that originals are "better" than replicas, but originals satisfy my personal need for accuracy much better. I often finnd myself frustrated by my replicas because I tend to see their flaws. With original pieces, it is what it is and there is a level of satisfaction I get there that I don't get from many of my replicas.

I feel the exact same way. :) I once had a replica that I bought on here and then shortly afterwards, decided to invest a large amount of money into an original because I wasn't quite satisfied with the replica. The replica was absolutely amazing and was probably the best anyone has made at the time, but it wasn't completely screen-accurate, and that bothered me, even though everyone else who had one was perfectly happy with theirs. So yeah, I'm in the same boat. "Accuracy over quantity".

With that being said... from time to time, there are replicas I prefer over an original piece or that tend to negate my desire for an original piece. For example: for years, I have had my eye on a production made Boba Fett stunt helmet. Ther stunt helmets were created for Return of the Jedi by casting the Empire Strikes back helmet. Because it was for production, the casting is quick and the stunt helmets were made out of a rubbery plastic, making them less than ideal. Recently, eFX was allowed to directly cast the Empire Strikes back helmet. Their casting were absolutely pristine and perfect, perhaps one of the best castings I have ever seen. Suddenly, my long time desire for that production stunt helmet went to zero because even though it was made for the movie, it is an inferior casting and the replica that eFX made was infinitely better.

Very nice point that you made here. I guess that's how I feel about hero props sometimes. Another good example is Riley Poole's book from National Treasure 2. I've been wanting a replica of it for quite some time, and the only reason why I had no desire for the screen-used hero ones is because most of them are literally a block of wood with the book cover glued to it. If it wasn't a block of wood, it would just be a random book with the book cover. If those were relatively cheap, then it would be cool to own one anyway. But since it's "screen-used", it's quite expensive regardless of its (lack of) "quality". Of course, it's understandable (efficient) why movie makers do this, but as collectors, we want the prop to be as real as possible. So I completely understand what you mean. :)

Just curious, do you have a picture of your collection? Or a thread that you can link me to? I'm just curious on what original props you own. :)

Just curious, do you have a picture of your collection? Or a thread that you can link me to? I'm just curious on what original props you own. :)

I don't have any photos of the whole collection as it is all spread out. It really isn't that large or impressive. Right off the top of my head we have:

2 Starship Troopers Infantry costumes.
2 Female Starship Troopers Infantry costumes.
2 hero Moritas
2 hero comm packs
Jumpball Uniform
Cheerleader Uniform
Buncha other odds and ends from SST
Royce stunt shotgun from PREDATORS
300 Spartan
Immortals Hoplite
Immortals Heraklion
Immortals Titan
Cowboy's and Aliens Hero gauntlet
GI Joe Baroness Pit Attack Costume
GI Joe Baroness Paris Pursuit Jacket
Storm Shadow's sword carrying rig from Retaliation
The Ringer Special Olympics Johnny Knoxville Badge
Prometheus Medium Ampule
Step Up Revolution: Museum fiber optic ballerina costume
Jack's pistol holster from Oblivion
Myrmidon armor, shield and sword, with Eudorus' armor
Battle damaged Captain's helmet from 300.

Think that is about it. Like I said, compared to most, our screen used collection is quite modest.

I don't have any photos of the whole collection as it is all spread out. It really isn't that large or impressive. Right off the top of my head we have:

2 Starship Troopers Infantry costumes.
2 Female Starship Troopers Infantry costumes.
2 hero Moritas
2 hero comm packs
Jumpball Uniform
Cheerleader Uniform
Buncha other odds and ends from SST
Royce stunt shotgun from PREDATORS
300 Spartan
Immortals Hoplite
Immortals Heraklion
Immortals Titan
Cowboy's and Aliens Hero gauntlet
GI Joe Baroness Pit Attack Costume
GI Joe Baroness Paris Pursuit Jacket
Storm Shadow's sword carrying rig from Retaliation
The Ringer Special Olympics Johnny Knoxville Badge
Prometheus Medium Ampule
Step Up Revolution: Museum fiber optic ballerina costume
Jack's pistol holster from Oblivion
Myrmidon armor, shield and sword, with Eudorus' armor
Battle damaged Captain's helmet from 300.

Think that is about it. Like I said, compared to most, our screen used collection is quite modest.

:lol That's way more than I have! Nice collection!

Neither for me. For all my fan films, I very much prefer to make my own.

Anyone with a big bank account can write a check and buy something great-looking that someone ELSE made, but making one's OWN great-looking prop or costume requires creativity, imagination and ability--something that very few people in the world have. That's why my heart is always with the scratch-builders. :)

EDIT: Having said that, I do have two production-made (and perhaps screen-used) props---one is a stunt Morita rifle from Starship Troopers; the other is a stunt Roman shield from Gladiator. I got them as displays and because they are from two of my favorite movies, but I also use them as props in my fan films.

I own both screen-used and replica pieces, but for me it's no contest. I love the actual movie props. Any replicas I have are of items that I could never get or afford the real things of.

Original all the way. I started really getting in to collecting original pieces in 2006/2007...the gratification of being able to watch a film or tv show, and then Look across the room and see a piece of that magic sitting there never gets old.

Mccoys:

The Mummy returns : Evelyn outfit ( rachel weisz)
The mummy returns : soldier sword
The other Boleyn girl : Anne robe ( Natalie portman)
Willow : full story board set of destroyed castle fight
Alice syfi : alice blue dress
Jennifer tilly dress
SWE2 : story board page

Replica:
Master replica muppet Gonzo
5th element tomb key

A few others that slip my mind. Not much but they its what I wanted n liked.

Neither for me. For all my fan films, I very much prefer to make my own.

Anyone with a big bank account can write a check and buy something great-looking that someone ELSE made, but making one's OWN great-looking prop or costume requires creativity, imagination and ability--something that very few people in the world have. That's why my heart is always with the scratch-builders. :)

EDIT: Having said that, I do have two production-made (and perhaps screen-used) props---one is a stunt Morita rifle from Starship Troopers; the other is a stunt Roman shield from Gladiator. I got them as displays and because they are from two of my favorite movies, but I also use them as props in my fan films.

I guess I should start making some of my own to understand how that feels. ;) Nice props btw, and thanks for posting.

I own both screen-used and replica pieces, but for me it's no contest. I love the actual movie props. Any replicas I have are of items that I could never get or afford the real things of.

Same here. :D What screen-used props do you own? You can just list your favorite or a few of them if you have many.

Original all the way. I started really getting in to collecting original pieces in 2006/2007...the gratification of being able to watch a film or tv show, and then Look across the room and see a piece of that magic sitting there never gets old.

Same. How many original pieces do you own?

Mccoys:

The Mummy returns : Evelyn outfit ( rachel weisz)
The mummy returns : soldier sword
The other Boleyn girl : Anne robe ( Natalie portman)
Willow : full story board set of destroyed castle fight
Alice syfi : alice blue dress
Jennifer tilly dress
SWE2 : story board page

Nice!! Thanks for listing them! You have quite a bit more than I do.

CHiPs - Baker and Getraer uniform shirts. Helmet and scripts.
The Pacific - Father Keogh and Leckie Guadalcanal costumes
Raiders - Nazi Flying wing fragment
Star Trek TOS - Orange biohazard suit from "The Naked Time". Season 3 "Losira" costume bits.
Dredd 3D - Complete Judge Janus costume (well, minus helmet)
Ghostbusters -
Two (Of three made) mechanical head armatures created for Mr Stay Puft. Each armature produced a different array of expressions.
Stay Puft hand/glove
Thom Enriquez Stay Puft & Terror Dog concept art
The original OMNI magazine cover used in the montage
A set of stunt foam nutrona wands
Fiberglass manhole cover used in the street breakup scene.
Assorted call sheets
3 reels of 65mm vfx shots
Set of blueprints for the temple set - post destruction
Gozer temple miniature fragments, including pieces of the door, a bench, one of the heads etc...
Ghostbusters 2 -
Ernie Hudson jumpsuit
Statue of liberty costume foot
Scoleri brother hands/gloves
Possessed Mink coat puppet
Columns from museum of art miniature
Production made STAR magazine cover
Production made ecto-1a decal

Dang, nice props!!! Thanks for sharing!

Easiest to see my collection just by checking out the site on my signature, Ron's Movie Props - Home

Lol, sorry. Didn't see your signature. :lol I just checked out your website, and it's awesome! I also really appreciate the links you put at the bottom for where you like to buy your props. :D That will be useful in the future.

I've got a mix of original props and replicas, but for me it's more about availability. If there's a decent replica available, I'll happily grab it. Especially when most of the originals are either un-available (for whatever reason) or completely out of my price range. And whilst I'm not completely devoid of all skill, I am time poor so just do not have the free time to spend constructing anything. A sample of what I got :)

Replicas:

HCG Pulse Rifle
Master Replicas Motion Tracker
Factory Entertainment Golden Gun
Factory Entertainment Agent J Sidearm
Weta D9 Assault Rifle
Weta D9 Arc Generator

Original Props

Underworld UV magazine
Pirahna 3DD Hero Pirahna
Minority Report Pre-crime spiders
Hellboy Samaritan Bullet
Blade 2 hero FX UV grenade
Riddick Necromonger Helmet

For me it's mostly original props, as when I have a display with replicas people always ask "Is that the real one!?" and I hate saying no :lol - that being said though, I always get a big kick out of a well made replica. Often people have spent so much time in research and manufacturing an item and take make so much more care, that the replica can end up being of a higher standard than the original ever was.

I much prefer originals, even if there only small items, but price usually dictates what I buy and if you love the movie and have to have something from it, a replica is Better than nothing ! I have a mixture of both, but Some of the replica items people show on here are stunning and well worth having.
wall edit.jpg bond wall edit.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a mix of original props and replicas, but for me it's more about availability. If there's a decent replica available, I'll happily grab it. Especially when most of the originals are either un-available (for whatever reason) or completely out of my price range. And whilst I'm not completely devoid of all skill, I am time poor so just do not have the free time to spend constructing anything. A sample of what I got :)

Nice collection! Thanks for sharing!

For me it's mostly original props, as when I have a display with replicas people always ask "Is that the real one!?" and I hate saying no :lol - that being said though, I always get a big kick out of a well made replica. Often people have spent so much time in research and manufacturing an item and take make so much more care, that the replica can end up being of a higher standard than the original ever was.

Lol, that is true!
And yeah, I don't doubt the amount of work a fan puts into a replica. I've talked to a modelmaker of a movie once, and he told me how rushed they are with props sometimes. They just have to get it done so fast that even sometimes, the paint on a prop isn't completely dry when being used. So I guess their tight schedule can lead to a less, well-crafted piece.

I much prefer originals, even if there only small items, but price usually dictates what I buy and if you love the movie and have to have something from it, a replica is Better than nothing ! I have a mixture of both, but Some of the replica items people show on here are stunning and well worth having.
View attachment 213766 View attachment 213767

Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing! Nice collection. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back