Rather buy Original/Screen-Used Props or Replicas?

I would, of course, rather have originals -- but who can afford them!

:lol , well that depends, right? ;)

As you can see above, some members on here own collections between $10k to $30k, and yet have mostly replicas. For $10k, you can get one (or a few) of your favorite screen-used or production made props. There's also many more affordable, original props, but even affordable, original props are costly compared to replicas. You can get many good replicas for the price of one original prop. It all depends on whether you want a larger quantity of replicas of your favorite props, or one original one.

Originals for sure. I started out with replicas and then did a transition into original/screen used pieces after finding out it is possible to get that piece you saw in a film and have always wanted.

For me it's an easy choice, mostly because my interest is very limited so there is not much else I wanna collect. There is nothing better than owning your favorite screen used piece from your favorite film(s), to me it's more than just film used items; it's art, a beautiful sculpture, iconic, hollywood history and nostalgia.

Originals for sure. I started out with replicas and then did a transition into original/screen used pieces after finding out it is possible to get that piece you saw in a film and have always wanted.

For me it's an easy choice, mostly because my interest is very limited so there is not much else I wanna collect. There is nothing better than owning your favorite screen used piece from your favorite film(s), to me it's more than just film used items; it's art, a beautiful sculpture, iconic, hollywood history and nostalgia.

Same here. ;) My collection is very small because I am very selective of what props I get. I'd rather spend the bigger bucks on the original one rather than spend that same money on multiple replicas. But sometimes that depends, so it can be hard to choose. What are some originals you have?

What are some originals you have?

I don't have a lot, my favorites are:

Screen-Matched Batman Panther cowl from Batman Forever (This is my absolute favorite of the whole collection, my holy grail.)
Production Made Sonar cowl from Batman Forever
Screen-Used Clooney cowl from Batman & Robin
Screen-Used Sonar Ice cowl from Batman & Robin
Screen-Matched Hollow Man mask from Hollow Man

Last edited:
General rule of thumb for me would be BUY screen-used, MAKE replicas :)

I collect original props and costumes, but have a handful of replica pieces and masks I've made over the years. Rarely, I'll pick up a really well-made and unique replica done by a friend.

I don't have the spare time to make many replicas these days, but that's a passion that I totally "get". There's a satisfaction that comes from making something that you just don't get by buying.

Oddly, every once in a while, I do get to make a "replica" that becomes screen used (like our Star Wars aliens for commercials and videos and such), which is a sorta nice blending of the two. :)

Tom

Before I bought my first real production-made/used prop, I had no idea of the power they would eventually have over me. A replica is great as a toy – you can hold it and be a kid again in the best sense of the term. But an actual prop from a film holds a special magic to me. It's not just a copy, but an ACTUAL PIECE OF THE FILM I LOVE. It was built for the film, was on-set, and could have been used by God-only-knows who. The dings and cracks it possesses might have come from the hero dropping it, or just from day-to-day on-set use. They are part of its DNA and mystique. They define it as having been used, rather than being an idealized copy.

And because of that, no matter how simple or outlandish the prop is, I think of it as REAL. Far more real than any replica could possibly be.

D

I don't have a lot, my favorites are:

Screen-Matched Batman Panther cowl from Batman Forever (This is my absolute favorite of the whole collection, my holy grail.)
Production Made Sonar cowl from Batman Forever
Screen-Used Clooney cowl from Batman & Robin
Screen-Used Sonar Ice cowl from Batman & Robin

Wow! Nice Batman stuff!! I'm a huge fan of Batman. Do you have any pictures?? I'd like to see all of them! ;)

General rule of thumb for me would be BUY screen-used, MAKE replicas :)
Oddly, every once in a while, I do get to make a "replica" that becomes screen used (like our Star Wars aliens for commercials and videos and such), which is a sorta nice blending of the two.

Nice about having some of your stuff screen used! I probably should start trying to make some props myself. I haven't yet, but I'd like to experience the gratification you describe. :)

EDIT: Which original props do you have?

Before I bought my first real production-made/used prop, I had no idea of the power they would eventually have over me. A replica is great as a toy – you can hold it and be a kid again in the best sense of the term. But an actual prop from a film holds a special magic to me. It's not just a copy, but an ACTUAL PIECE OF THE FILM I LOVE. It was built for the film, was on-set, and could have been used by God-only-knows who. The dings and cracks it possesses might have come from the hero dropping it, or just from day-to-day on-set use. They are part of its DNA and mystique. They define it as having been used, rather than being an idealized copy. And because of that, no matter how simple or outlandish the prop is, I think of it as REAL. Far more real than any replica could possibly be.

Thanks for posting! Which original props do you have?
Also, was curious on which you prefer. Would you rather spend more on an original prop that isn't necessarily "well-made", or would you rather have a well-made replica? For instance, a lot of modelmakers sometimes are very rushed to finish props on set and stay on time with the schedule. So often times, their props are rushed, but still looks good enough from afar on screen. Other times, you have propmakers who make stunt versions, something made out of rubber but looks like metal. Or a prop gun that is non-functional, etc. Would you rather have the original one anyway (for maybe a higher price), or a well-made replica?

And I feel the exact same way as you described. ;)

EDIT: Btw, since you own some original props, how do you go about identifying which scene it was used in? Propmakers normally make several ones or several different versions, so unless it was stated in the description or on the COA, do you ever try to identify which scene your prop was used in? (I'm getting some screen used props, but unfortunately, the exact scene isn't specified.)

Last edited:
For me, it is accuracy over quantity. If I can get the real thing (original prop) that is what I try to do. I don't need a lot of pieces in my collection, but I want the pieces I have to be the absolute best of the best. I know, for many, the appeal is in the satisfaction of building it yourself and creating something. My skillset is extremely limited, so that isn't necessarily my goal. It is more about obtaining that perfect representation of the piece I was amazed by when watching the movie. I would take one perfect original prop over a dozen replicas. This doesn't mean that originals are "better" than replicas, but originals satisfy my personal need for accuracy much better. I often finnd myself frustrated by my replicas because I tend to see their flaws. With original pieces, it is what it is and there is a level of satisfaction I get there that I don't get from many of my replicas.

Btw, since you own some original props, how do you go about identifying which scene it was used in? Propmakers normally make several ones or several different versions, so unless it was stated in the description or on the COA, do you ever try to identify which scene your prop was used in? (I'm getting some screen used props, but unfortunately, the exact scene isn't specified.)

I own both screen-used and replica pieces, but for me it's no contest. I love the actual movie props. Any replicas I have are of items that I could never get or afford the real things of.

Same question for you too. ;) "Btw, since you own some original props, how do you go about identifying which scene it was used in? Propmakers normally make several ones or several different versions, so unless it was stated in the description or on the COA, do you ever try to identify which scene your prop was used in? (I'm getting some screen used props, but unfortunately, the exact scene isn't specified.)"

Btw, since you own some original props, how do you go about identifying which scene it was used in? Propmakers normally make several ones or several different versions, so unless it was stated in the description or on the COA, do you ever try to identify which scene your prop was used in? (I'm getting some screen used props, but unfortunately, the exact scene isn't specified.)

Same question for you too. ;) "Btw, since you own some original props, how do you go about identifying which scene it was used in? Propmakers normally make several ones or several different versions, so unless it was stated in the description or on the COA, do you ever try to identify which scene your prop was used in? (I'm getting some screen used props, but unfortunately, the exact scene isn't specified.)"

I have screen-amount a decent amount of my items, which can be easy or painstaking, depending on the size of the item, amount of screen time it had, how close it was to the camera, etc. Other times, you can get them with wardrobe tags and such which state which scenes they were used. And then you have those that you can't really tell when it was used, just that it was made for the production (maybe screen used, maybe not). It's actually kind of fun trying to screen match things.

Thanks. You can see them on YourProps or PropBay under the username Proximo.

Thanks! I just looked at your props! I was wondering, how much did it cost for you to get some of the cowl's? For instance, the Sonar Ice Cowl that you got directly from Warner Bros. And awesome that you were able to screen-match some of them too!

Also, I noticed that you also had The Riddler's mask. You stated that you got it directly from the makeup artist. Did you contact her directly or did she have some of her stuff up for auction?

Thanks! I just looked at your props! I was wondering, how much did it cost for you to get some of the cowl's? For instance, the Sonar Ice Cowl that you got directly from Warner Bros. And awesome that you were able to screen-match some of them too!

Also, I noticed that you also had The Riddler's mask. You stated that you got it directly from the makeup artist. Did you contact her directly or did she have some of her stuff up for auction?

Sorry, I'm not willing to disclose that. The value fluctuate all the time, if you were to buy one I'd recommend to try and find one privately instead of auction.

A company called Theme Park Connection obtained a bunch of pieces directly from Ve during the production of an episode of the Syfy TV show, "Hollywood Treasure". The company later sold the pieces on eBay (about a year ago) and I was fortunate to win one of two Riddler masks.

Sorry, I'm not willing to disclose that. The value fluctuate all the time, if you were to buy one I'd recommend to try and find one privately instead of auction. A company called Theme Park Connection obtained a bunch of pieces directly from Ve during the production of an episode of the Syfy TV show, "Hollywood Treasure".

Thanks for the tips, and I'll definitely check out that company. Why do you recommend private over auction?
Also, when you say privately, what do you mean? Contact the studio directly?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, and I'll definitely check out that company. Why do you recommend private over auction?
Also, when you say privately, what do you mean? Contact the propmaker or studio directly?

In most cases it's cheaper to buy private. Yes, but mainly through other collectors.

I'm just starting out in the world of screen-used collecting, I only own 4 pieces, and I would take them every day over ANY replica. Replicas are cool and all, but they just don't hold a candle to the real thing. I would rather own an original piece that was in poor condition, to a replica that was in amazing brand new condition! Having an original equals actually owning a part of a film or movie's world. It comes straight from that world and into your finger tips. A replica is just a copy of something from that world.

The 4 pieces I own are:

Charmed- Sarah Peterson Hecate Demon Teeth from season 1 episode 6 (Screen Used)

Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy- Luke Wilson's battle weapon from the famous back alley brawl scene (Screen Matched!)

Chronicles of Riddick- Alexa Davalos Crematoria top and trousers (Screen Used) Although this outfit was used in scenes 203-205 of the movie.

Silent Hill- Dark Nurse Uniform (Screen Matched!)

That Silent Hill Nurse outfit is a personal Grail of mine. I grew up playing the Silent Hill Franchise and never in my wildest dreams would I ever have believed I'd be able to own an actual creature costume ripped straight from that frightening world. A nurse no less!!!

So yeah, original all the way baby!

Last edited:
Like most, I prefer originals, but I also love to build :D

I spent A LOT of money on original props this year, so I don't think I'll be buying anything else for a while :unsure

Silent Hill- Dark Nurse Uniform (Screen Matched!)

That Silent Hill Nurse outfit is a personal Grail of mine. I grew up playing the Silent Hill Franchise and never in my wildest dreams would I ever have believed I'd be able to own an actual creature costume ripped straight from that frightening world. A nurse no less!!!

So yeah, original all the way baby!

Those are so unbelievably creepy! Would love to see a pic!

I own only one screen used thing and it's a chunk of the igloo from STAR WARS when it was being rebuilt, everything else I own is replica. I'm in the minority that likes making a replica than owning the actual thing (I'd feel too guilty owing an all real parts anything, especially if I had more than one). That way, I'm not replicating someone else's work fully. It's close to how I see the thing in my head but it also contains some of my essence in it; so it has two stories.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back