Patterns on cloth?

Weapioneer

Greetings,
I recently started to work on making the Armor of Altair, and I am having some trouble with the cloth. Notice the patterns on the edge of the 'wings' of the robes, which have some curvy flowing patterns near the border. How do you make those? Is there an easy technique for doing so? I am considering painting, but i am not sure about the color running and about getting the complex patterns done. Any advice? Also, I am planning on making the carnavale cape, which is kinda huge, which will need a LOT of silvery painting to be well done. Any easier option? Finally, I also want to know how to make the patterns on the mask of the apprentices in constantinople because paint on the thin cloth may prevent people from seeing through the cloth from the inside, making the mask a hinderance.
Thanks a lot, and please help
Weapioneer

Been watching a lass make Tali suit on Youtube for a while, pattern is a complex arguments of spirals.

She hand painted every dang one, as the cost of proper fabric was some astronomical cost.

Might have some tips if no one else comes up with better advice ; Painting Tali's Wrap - YouTube

If it's the armor I'm thinking of, it's all embroidered. If you hand embroider it you'll be at it for days/weeks. If you have it done for you it'll cost hundreds. There's no great solution for embroidery.

Here is some pictures of the patterns, for confirmation and people who have not played assassin's creed.
Armor-altair-ac2.png
AC2_Ezio_armor_of_Altair_front_render_by_Michel_Thibault.png
So i am talking about the pattern on his hood and the red 'Wing' layer of his robes. It does not seem like embroidery on the robe, but maybe it is embroidery on the hood.

I don't see any pattern on the hood, just seaming. The red is a woven fabric, and there is some embroidery, but only on the black fabric at the bottom.

Hmm, I think that i shall try to paint the designs, since i can't sew even stitches, let alone embroider. Is there some special type of paint i should use? Will acrylic work out? obviously, i want the paint to last, since this will probably spend a good deal of its time in a cupboard and be dusted off every now and then for cosplaying. It won't be washed very often, but only when it gets stained.

While there are some home interior fabric that would be embroidered and look similar, you could just recreate the exact design, make it a repeating, seamless pattern and get it printed at Spoonflower for like $15 a yard.

I actually had considered that, but I don't think that they to my location and even if they did, it would add a ton to shipping, including customs and duties, maybe even doubling the amount of cash. I would be fine just spending $15 if they were in my city, but they ship from the US, so won't work out :(
Also, I tried to get the design onto some cloth, but i could not get it large enough.

Then you may want to check out flocked damask fabric for a similar, but not 100% accurate choice. The pattern on the red fabric can also be achieved with a stencil, a stippling brush and thinned fabric paint on top of the base fabric of your choice. The patterns on the hood are representative of stitch lines which can be faked a number of ways from faggoting trims (yes that's a real thing) to iron on edging tape.

The cape may be easier then it appears. From the way the cape seems to gobble up the light while the pattern shimmers it looks like embossed velvet.
img-thing

The basic set up is placing velvet fuzzy side down on to a raised design and ironing it to crush the fibers and leaving the lower areas smooth and shining. The color of the debossed area is decided by the color you see on the back of the fabric
page+embossing+velvet+steps.jpg

In your case, the cape pattern can be made with any material that can stand up to heat for a little while and you're comfortable working with, whether that is plywood, acrylic or cardboard. Look up videos about how to emboss velvet and do a couple of small inexpensive tests with fabric of a similar material blend as your finished piece.

Thanks! This is a very nice answer, and i will look into the stitching, but I may use a different technique for the cape.
Thanks a lot!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back