daft punk guy man helmet build WIP

joshslayton

daft punk has a special place in my heart next to ***** ******(not really). But seriously daft punk is probably my favorite artist out there not only for the awesome music but also the love of those awesome helmets! ive always wanted to have or make a daft punk helmet but since ive seen volpin do it it looked way difficult but then again this was a year ago, yeah. i wouldnt say im a expert but i defiantly know what im doing. but i started this build when i didnt really know what im doing. i have been working on this build for a little less than a year so lets hope you guys like it.

So i start out with pepakura thats paper craft in Japanese
y4ana7a3.jpg

5enesaqu.jpg

Then i fiberglassed the inside and a coat of resin on the outside
asa5y5eq.jpg

So now its on to bondo now back then i didnt how what this stuff was neither did i know how to use it so bare with me
u5equ6en.jpg

3yha2ese.jpg

9egy3yze.jpg

The bondo stage was a rinse and repeat stage so trust me it starts to look better. The visor and back panel was way too deformed for me to work on it so I decided to throw those away and start from scratch. I cut out the pepakura visor And sprayed expanding foam inside to get a nice form.
ahumery8.jpg

y2uny2ut.jpg

zuzemu2e.jpg

ebe6ysun.jpg

yqupepeh.jpg

u2enu5e2.jpg

seru3u7u.jpg

y3enu2ym.jpg

hynydatu.jpg

So i finally has have a smooth helmet but the visor looks a little flat on the top thats a problem for a perfectionist like me. So i fixed it with some styrene and florist foam.
ega4e3uz.jpg

penyha5a.jpg

y5udymyn.jpg

yda9yruv.jpg

9ute8y4y.jpg

sazeqetu.jpg

adevary4.jpg

9ymuzeva.jpg

7y4yza4u.jpg

I also added some detail with some apoxie scultp

just add a little spott putty
zatu2a6e.jpg

vazyme9a.jpg

ynunyjuz.jpg

The back looked a little to flaring out fo a grinded it down
ypuna8y2.jpg

edusure8.jpg

ahupamus.jpg

u8asevum.jpg

So thats about a little less than a year progress
Hows it look? Does it look as good as the original? I might have second thoughts about remaking this whole helmet tell me what you think

Like my page
https://www.facebook.com/SlaydogProps

Last edited:
i Like it man, never seen one with a pep base so this is good for me. (i like to work with pep so far) but to offer some criticisms, both the parts you fixed, i.e. the visor and the back-of-the-head piece seem to now bulge out too much, you visor was fine initially and maybe it needed a little touch-up but now i fear you may have built it up too much. i suggest the extremely detailed volpin thread and i think sorenzo build threads among others for references. their thoroughness is staggering so lots of build and procedure pictures.

EDIT: i now read that you have indeed read volpins thread so i take that back. but yeah...too much bulge.

i Like it man, never seen one with a pep base so this is good for me. (i like to work with pep so far) but to offer some criticisms, both the parts you fixed, i.e. the visor and the back-of-the-head piece seem to now bulge out too much, you visor was fine initially and maybe it needed a little touch-up but now i fear you may have built it up too much. i suggest the extremely detailed volpin thread and i think sorenzo build threads among others for references. their thoroughness is staggering so lots of build and procedure pictures.

EDIT: i now read that you have indeed read volpins thread so i take that back. but yeah...too much bulge.

Yeah thats what i thought too im thinking of just remaking the helmet or fixing it im not sure yet

Here is a great profile shot to use for your reference.

KanyeWestDaftPunk01.jpg

No doubt you know of the Daft Punk Forums, heaps of help on there as well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back