V for Vendetta belt - WIP

Hi "J EM", may I ask how you got the measurements for your leatherbelt ? How wide is the belt?did you use the 12"figure as scale?
I drafted an angled-tapered belt pattern several times. The first image I posted in this thread is a pic of the first draft I did.
The later final draft is a pic of this belt. [the bottom one]
Screen shot 2013-11-25 at 2.18.28 PM.png
Because this bottom one was my version of an angled-tapered belt, I redrafted one more pattern to be more accurate to V's. It'd be the top belt shown.
View attachment 258872
It looks a lot like the DC Direct 1/6th scale figure belt below because after looking at several photos and screen captures, V's belt was more simple looking than the belt I did.
View attachment 258871
The DC figure belt is not angled enough as V's though so I made my other final draft more angled.

I just eyeballed the angles according to how it would best look on my body. As you can see in the photo, I made red and blue lines. The pic may not best show it but the top belt is 3.5"/approximately 9cm wide at a 90 degree angle from the edge of the belt. The bottom belt is 3.5"/approximately 9cm wide straight up&down from edge to edge. If you were to look at several photos, you would see that the length of the belt buckle fits the width of the belt. So that is how I got the 3.5"

By the way, E. I think you should remove the "wip" from the title. :p

Great explanation, J.
We should probably add that the bottom version (with the blue lines) is smaller because it's my belt.

And I think I'll remove "WIP" from the title only when the holders are made and installed too :$

So I finally got my belt and am excited to start working on those dagger holder things to get this thread going somewhere. :D I suppose E and I will both be using this thread to try to accomplish the same task. xD
View attachment 261924

And E. I thought you should remove "wip" because it wasn't much of a "work in progress" thread but ok :)

Last edited:
Awesome work indeed, still need sombody to help me to measure the dimensions of my belt size.Looking forward to the outcome of the dagger-holders.

Great Job J !

What mask are you using, if I may be so bold to ask?

Awesome work indeed, still need sombody to help me to measure the dimensions of my belt size.Looking forward to the outcome of the dagger-holders.

Great Job J !

What mask are you using, if I may be so bold to ask?
And its ok to ask anything. I get that question asked a lot here. Its a DC direct V mask.
[strike]Anyway, here is an illustration I did, to hopefully get you an idea of how to do your belt. Its just an illustration.[/strike]
Screen shot 2014-01-08 at 7.50.18 PM.png
[strike]Those red lines indicate the point where your belt will no longer fit through the buckle. When I drafted my pattern, the length between the blue dots (which is where you should measure from) was 33in./approx.84cm, 1 inch less than my hip size. When I measure the length of my standard every day belt I use from the buckle wrap end to the hole I mainly have the buckle fastened through, it is 34in./86.5cm.
Here is an image to give you that idea of how to measure your standard belts. (top illustration-optimum measurement)[/strike]
belts_schematic.jpg
[strike]When I measure the length in my V belt that same way, its the same length as my standard belt fastened length. 34in.[/strike]
UPDATED info regarding sizing:
What I had here before is incorrect.

I wish I could help you out more. I had wanted to make a "master" downloadable scanned file where I would show how to modify for larger/smaller sizes but my final draft patterns are worn out and I don't have time to redo them or scan my belt, hence why I also have not done anything concerning the dagger holders. :unsure
I will do it eventually as I plan on providing all my drafts and files for download once I'm done with this costume, but if you wanna get it done soon, it helps if you have at least 3 daggers and simply place them angled on your side in the way you think looks best on your body. Look at how they are on V's body. Then look at your own body to see what you have to work with. That is how I worked out my belt drafts. So cut yourself a strip of paper with a width of 3.5in/8.9cm.. Hold your daggers at an angle and slip the strip underneath. Then work out the curves. V's belt is not as complex as everyone originally thought it was.

Last edited:
This helps, I think I know how to measure the belt now, will do a drawing first like yours with my size and place it here so you guys can give an opinion.

As for the dagger holders, I have some creative skills , but I have no acces to bending metal or cutting metal with machinery.So if you're willing to make an extra set of dagger-holders after yours are done, I would be very interested .
I'll follow this topic with much interest :)

Yeah. Just get your belt size. Divide it by 4. You only really need to work on 2 sides. Then just mirror the result for your full length belt. Eyeball the angles out.

I had done some dagger holder related work last month. I cut a few symmetrical pieces. The reason I didn't finish is because the aluminum sheet I purchased breaks being bent along the grain sometimes. So some of the ones I did broke bending them at the center. :( Everything else available at my local hardware store is either thinner or thicker, impossible to bend with mere hands or cut nicely without power tools. So I still have to find something more suitable. I'm probably going to ask E if her aluminum sheet is bendable without sufficient pressure. Then its just a matter of finding flat-head rivets. My dagger holder sheathes use these rivets. I think they're perfect to mount the dagger holders since they're also very small. I would rather punch through the leather than slice through the top layer of my belt and simply have the dagger holders be wedged in place that way. Everyone else who has done a V belt has done it that way, and even V's was done that way too, but I'm not using rubber daggers and I want them to be fully secured while looking the part.

rivets I'm planning on using.
View attachment 272001View attachment 272002
and this is how I plan on mounting the dagger holders
View attachment 272003

I would be willing to make a set for you if I'm successful with my idea first and after I make some for E, should we not have any other ideas on how to make them. I don't know if you're going to attempt some sheet work on your own, but the width of the dagger holders is .5in, or 1.27cm. and shape is this
View attachment 272004

Last edited:
I've tried to cut them out of metal curtain-railing, the problem is the bending proces.

But will ask around , if anybody has an idea how to make them

Somebody might have a new idea, I'm glad you'll be asking around, G.

You can see a pic of my holders on the first page. I cut them out of a 1mm alu sheet with a fret saw. My alu sheet is "hard" alu (whatever that might mean) but I can bend it rather precisely with my hands. I told J EM at some point that I had to be careful when bending the holder slightly in the middle because the tip of it doesn't want to bend :-/ But I'm sure I'll be able to do better next time.

I don't cut any more holders these days because it's frikkin cold outside and I don't want to have all that alu dust indoors.

What daggers do you have, G? I noticed J EM's and my daggers have significantly different measurements when we compared them. Even if you use the same holders, we'll have to bend them to fit our daggers.

I still don't know what tool you need to set rivets. I fear it might require more wiggle room than the holder can provide (2-3 mm?).
I think of fixating my holders with one rivet in two steps like this:
1rivet.jpg

The first step allows to set the rivet comfortably.
I'm sure stiff leather and hard alu will hold the daggers in place nicely, if one side of the holder is riveted into place.

On the other hand, J EM, can we use similar screws that Mike used for the buckle? They seem flat enough (and almost too short - it was a lot of hassle for me to screw them together with my buckle in place because they are so short).

Last edited:
We can use screwable rivets but the thing is I've yet to see any flat head ones, as flat as the rivets on my sheaths. If we use the rivets I have in mind, you don't need a special tool. Just pop the pieces in place by pressing them.

Somebody might have a new idea, I'm glad you'll be asking around, G.

You can see a pic of my holders on the first page. I cut them out of a 2mm alu sheet with a fret saw. My alu sheet is "hard" alu (whatever that might mean) but I can bend it rather precisely with my hands. I told J EM at some point that I had to be careful when bending the holder slightly in the middle because the tip of it doesn't want to bend :-/ But I'm sure I'll be able to do better next time.

I don't cut any more holders these days because it's frikkin cold outside and I don't want to have all that alu dust indoors.

What daggers do you have, G? I noticed J EM's and my daggers have significantly different measurements when we compared them. Even if you use the same holders, we'll have to bend them to fit our daggers.

I still don't know what tool you need to set rivets. I fear it might require more wiggle room than the holder can provide (2-3 mm?).
I think of fixating my holders with one rivet in two steps like this:
View attachment 272072

The first step allows to set the rivet comfortably.
I'm sure stiff leather and hard alu will hold the daggers in place nicely, if one side of the holder is riveted into place.

On the other hand, J EM, can we use similar screws that Mike used for the buckle? They seem flat enough (and almost too short - it was a lot of hassle for me to screw them together with my buckle in place because they are so short).

V for Vendetta Knife Movie Dagger

These are the daggers I'm using, for the rivets I'm thinking about using these, I have used them before on leather and canvas strapping, I bought mine at the local clothing market, maybe you can get them at your local market.I'm afraid of using snaps, because of the weight of the daggers.
10 Black Oxide Compression Rivets Gunmetal Gun door LythaStudios

Needle nose pliers or round tip pliers, I use to tighten the rivets.

I prefer round tip pliers because they won't damage the leather by leaving marks, it takes patience to flatten the rivets this way but they will be thighter than snaps.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=roun...Fessential-jewelry-making-pliers.html;576;384

Last edited:
Hmm... we'll have to keep in mind that the double ply belt is quite thick. Besides, the rivets would have to be placed in the middle of it, meaning the pliers will have to be as long as 4,5cm at least...

Your daggers are different from J EM's and mine both, G. But it doesn't really matter since we'll be bending our holders on our own to fit our daggers.
I don't remember whether you were going to go to a con or something? You'd have to make your daggers con-safe in this case.

I edited my post above... I use 1 mm alu sheet for the holders.
(I have a 2mm alu sheet too and it was apparently enough to confuse me here a little :-/ )

Anyhow, this is my belt:

IMG_4310_belt.jpg

I like to think of it as the girly version with all its curves :)

Last edited:
Your belt is darker than it looks, right? :wacko

and you should make the 'decoration' hole at the center of the buckle once the belt is fastened.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I've been waiting for a sunny day to make a picture and it was too sunny apparently :D

Dunno about the extra hole. I mean, I know that it's present in the original but I'm not sure I like it...

Long time no see, guys.

I inserted the holders into my belt yesterday :)

I bent the alu holders in the middle first, then cut the holes in the belt with a scalpel.

IMG_4906s.jpg

The thick leather keeps the holders in place nicely so I didn't need rivets.

IMG_4911s.jpg

You can see that I couldn't get the holders to be neat and flat on the inside but it doesn't really matter in my case.
I also buffed the holders in the end to make alu look shiny.

IMG_4914s.jpg

So I guess this project isn't a WIP anymore :)

I realized just now you went through both layers. Wow. I guess that did work out real well! Anyway, again, well done! :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back