Price of a light cycle

Pssh, buy a good 3D model and have it 3d printed. Wouldn't be functional, and It take you a really long time to get all the pieces printed but it'd be neat for display

Nwerke, Wow! Cheers for the run down. Normally Id look that up myself, *cough Bull****! but cheers. I think I will go have a look after reading that.

I don't know much about this sort of thing (but I like bikes) but the roller power transfer sound like it would defiantly have a limit anyway at speeds any higher than that anyway. Imaging something getting caught in there! Rear wheel lock up at 100km can be fun but only when one expects it! hahaha

Would a worm drive work on a hub like that? I guess it would have to be ridiculously high speed. The only other thing I can think of is using twin tires and a chain in the middle. That could work? It would be amazing if this thread solves the "how to build a real lightcycle" question. :lol

And since it's been brought up, have you guys not had any word on your Advacnded Action Suits either?:angry

Alright, OP, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I think 55k is insane. But really clarify to us what you mean so the people will know what level we're talking about.

1. How much would the design of the bike look like a light cycle? The $55k model is very accurate, but at a huge cost to rideability.
2. Would it be engineered from scratch, or a skin over an existing bike? If the latter, what bike?
3. Asking for the potential market to set a price point *first* is doing two things: One, it's undermining your credibility - you sound a little like an infomercial; "NOW how much would you expect to pay? But wait, there's more!" and Two, it is implying that you haven't done the engineering as yet, and would be building to a price point, which always hurts the transition from concept to reality.

SO I will also give you a serious answer, though it might not be one you'll like...
- Assuming it strikes the perfect balance between form and function, I would be tempted, though unable for sure, to pay a little high for such a bike. By that I mean not as much as a one-off custom only for me, but more than a regular-ol bike. Call it something like low $20Ks to compete with a Goldwing, realistically trading the bells and whistles on the Wing for the aesthetics on the Light Cycle.

How's that?

Chaank, I've got a bike with a worm drive! :) It could work but be no better than a bevel, and probably worse. Unless the worm or the bevel is huge, it'd have to be fast.

A double-tyre approach, actually double wheels, was used on the Dodge Tomahawk. Since the wheel is mostly shrouded anyway you could probably get away with it but you'd ideally want custom tyres with a weird profile. They'd be left- and right-handed.

I'm sure there's some engineering solution which might work okay, maybe belts on a couple of intermediate sprockets or something. Eh, linear electric induction motor using the wheel rim itself as the rotor...ooh yeah, that could be the go, haha.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back