Bondo

GBA

Hi guys,
I am doing my first build, it is a batman dark knight cowl. I have pepakuraed resined fibreglassed and then have put a car body filler on it (p38 filler) my problem is that when I watch videos their bondo is like a toothpaste consistentcy with my filler is much different and looks much harder to apply, it is much less smooth and gloopy. And I have not got great results.is the gloopyness a characteristic of bondo? It looks much easier to use.is this true? Is bondo available in the UK? It there a good alternative?
Thanks!

There are loads of these kinds of threads, so in future using the search tool wouldn't be so bad ;)

But anyway to answer your question, your filler should have the consistency of a thick paste, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes with the humidity and temperature. I know we've been having some boiling days in the UK.
I personally use MB fibreglass for resin, silicone, fibreglass, bondo etc

HVD50 Easy Sand BodyFiller - mbfg.co.uk

This was recommended to me by Sorenzo props, I've never looked back! I was using polyfilla before :facepalm

A fresh can of Bondo is about like warm peanut butter, as the can ages it gets stiffer.

I would check out stops where they sell fine grade automotive finishing products.
Bondo can be found everywhere here in the US but the better quality body glazes are harder to find and cost more.

Bondo is just the brand name of a body filler in the states, p38 is pretty much the same thing.

I think the main problem is that the people making the videos you are watching are quite experienced and therefore skilled with the technique, making it look easy.

The stuff is quite gloopy, if you catch a wet spot with your spreader or hand you will pull it into peaks, and usually by that pointits started to set a bit so is near impossible to flatten out again.

Ive tried a couple of different brands on my Dredd build and found that they are pretty much the same in terms of application. I have found, however that Upol filler (halfords etc) sands better when cured.

Keep on at it and you will find it gets easier as you become more used to it.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses the consistently I am talking about is A YouTube video "Smoothing and shaping your pepakura (Episode 4)"

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back