Iron Man mark 7 modified for a back pack

I had a brilliant idea to make a costume that folds up into a back pack and still looks cool. I am thinking the mark 5 colors but with gold accents. I am using the pepakura files for the mark 7 suit, I am modifying them as I go. If anyone has some experience or advice in these matters that would be awesome. Pictures will come at a steady stream. All I have made right now are the chest and the faceplate.

Attachments

• image-2013-07-20-22-56-37.jpg
    image-2013-07-20-22-56-37.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2013-07-21-23-37-11.jpg
    image-2013-07-21-23-37-11.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 160
Update!
New designs in progress. When I first started this thread I didn't fully understand the complications and features this will need.

Basically, cardboard is not strong enough to survive the wear and tear I would put this thing through.
My solution is cardstock and lots of fiberglass resin as a prototype. It will take lots of work.

Also the Mark 7 files are not complex enough to be modified.
The solution I found is the Mark 42. The pepakura file is simple enough to modify. Same color scheme but instead of beige it will be black with silver accents and red with gold accents.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Why not use fiberglass and resign the card board it will be lot stronger that card stock done the same way.

1. The faceplate broke and I'm too lazy to fix it. So I threw it away
2. I am not looking for strength as much as a smaller profile and more easily manipulated.
3. The chest I have is Mark 7 and I want to make the new suit Mark 42.
4. I'm lazy
Thanks for asking though.

If anyone is wondering I'm either going to model the parts myself then unfold them, or use Helgaks model and modify it for colapsability.

I'm lazy, and for prototyping purposes I'm going to switch from the Mark 42 to the Mark 5, just easier for a first run speed job.

Just looked back on this and laughed. Ya, it's not happening.
With respect you have used the term " I'm Lazy" 3 times in this thread.
The men and women who form the RPF are creative, talented and determined people who by far are not lazy. People who push themselves to a whole new level of excellence.
Your idea is very challenging. Is it possible to do? That is not for me to say, but I have seen things here that just continue to amaze me.
I haven't included myself in this group of elites, simply because I am not. Honestly I have yet to complete a build. That being said, I have ideas in the works. I am in the R&D of my build and although it's taken me forever, I have not abandoned the project.
I think that new folks have high expectations of what they want to do, and then easily get discouraged and walk away. Start with something small and then move on from there. You will find that success is more addictive than failure. What I'm saying is don't be lazy, get off you ass and build something man...GM

Oh, re-reading the post I see where I made a mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. I don't mean I am going to give up. Just, I am putting this project aside while I build a Hulkbuster armor. When I first created this thread I was young and inexperienced. The only suit I had made to date was an Iron Man mk 7. So I thought I could make a collapsible backpack. After learning more in school and in my own private researching I have discovered the folly of making the mk 7 a suit backpack. That said, I did make a backpack. Not a full suit, but it works as a backpack.
IMG_1960.JPGIMG_1961.JPGIMG_1962.JPGIMG_1963.JPGIMG_1964.JPGIMG_1965.JPGIMG_1966.JPG

I am going to be using it for college. Because why not?

Last edited:
I just checked out your Mk vii build, very nicely done my friend.
Sucks that you grew out of it. Now you need to make an armour that adjust for possible growth spurt lol...GM

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, re-reading the post I see where I made a mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. I don't mean I am going to give up. Just, I am putting this project aside while I build a Hulkbuster armor. When I first created this thread I was young and inexperienced. The only suit I had made to date was an Iron Man mk 7. So I thought I could make a collapsible backpack. After learning more in school and in my own private researching I have discovered the folly of making the mk 7 a suit backpack. That said, I did make a backpack. Not a full suit, but it works as a backpack.
View attachment 657554View attachment 657555View attachment 657556View attachment 657557View attachment 657558View attachment 657559View attachment 657560
View attachment 657554View attachment 657555View attachment 657556View attachment 657557View attachment 657558View attachment 657559View attachment 657560

I am going to be using it for college. Because why not?
You may have started a business idea there for yourself...GM

I actually thought about that. I want to redesign the opening system though. The buckle and cardboard hinge works, but something more durable would be better.
Making is so the space inside is bigger, for more storage space.

Most of the construction on the backpack is custom. The chest, abs, and hip pods were all from the mk 7 pepakura files from Darkside501st

Last edited:
Canvas or or strapping material might work for the hinges. You could also have tried just door hinges if the weight was not an issue. Either way, seeing what you made so far, makes me want to build something like that around my work bag :). Keep on, keeping on

I haven't tried door hinges yet. I'll try that on the next build. I didn't want to use just strapping, too loose. It didn't feel right. So I used cardboard reinforced with strapping. But I'll play around with a few different designs for the next one.

The hardest part about building this was the symmetry. I would get an idea. make a part. Then I would have to build another, but the mirrored version of it. In the end it took a lot of extra cardboard and hot glue.

Their are little to no gaps in the front. Leaving a semi-sealed interior. Multiple "pockets" allow for storage of pens, phones, or any small items. And the main storage space has a piece of cardboard that can be pushed in to make more room. And it pushes back for a secure hold on the items.

My laptop fits perfectly, along with all my notebooks and books. Which was completely unintentional.

For the base bag I used an my old backpack we got from Costco. I've had the bag since 3rd grade. Which is impressive, given that I'm in college now.

Any questions just ask.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back