Pacific Rim- Jaeger Build

Mopus

Hey guys. I just saw the new Pacific Rim movie, and after reading the comics, I decided wouldn't it be fun to build a pep Jaeger costume. My initial idea is to build the jaeger from adapted pep files of someone like Iron man or ultron. Building the Gypsy Danger Jaeger (which has similar body styles to the for-mentioned comic characters) seems like the simplest. Before undertaking this project, I was wondering if people could bounce some idea around with me. Mainly because I feel like this is a huge project (I've only pep'd once-a dredd helmet) and because wouldn't it be fun to go to a con with a bunch of my rpf brothers ready to fight some kaiju.

Hi I was thinking a similar idea but it would be less a form fitting costume and more a a mech a la the wired SDCC robot it would be around 9 ft tall (that way you could fit fairly comfortably in it and use stilts for the legs the arms I have yet to figure out new.jpg that's how I was thinking it, but I am having trouble finding a pepakura files for gipsy danger maybe we could help eachother out?

also I found this eoxNcvx.jpg

Attachments

• giant-robot-costume.jpg
    giant-robot-costume.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,059
I also would like to do this, but have only build one pep helmet. I wonder if someone is working on the file yet?

honestly I doubt it but if you know anyone who has some modelling and unfold experience I probably could fins some reference pictures what pep helmet do you have?

I've started on the Striker Eureka model, but I don't have a pep scale yet. I'm waiting to see how the 3d model scales up on a digital mannequin first, and then see what works best to fit a person in it. If I can, I'll keep my scale close to whatever you guys end up going with. It'd be pretty sweet if a couple of different Jaegers in comparable scale could be stomping around together at a Con or Halloween.

Last edited:
OMG if you actually finish this I will love you forever

also... if it isn't any trouble...gipsy danger plox :D

Last edited:
I've started on the Striker Eureka model, but I don't have a pep scale yet. I'm waiting to see how the 3d model scales up on a digital mannequin first, and then see what works best to fit a person in it. If I can, I'll keep my scale close to whatever you guys end up going with. It'd be pretty sweet if a couple of different Jaegers in comparable scale could be stomping around together at a Con or Halloween.

Being an Aussie I'd love to one day be able to make up a Striker Eureka. I look forward to seeing any progress mate!

The pilot suits are cooler looking than the jaegers. I hope someone makes files for them. It would be a nice change from my Iron man builds.

I was thinking of just up-scaling ironman peps and building off of them. and padding them up to fit my person. Like making the shoes thick with padding so I get taller (I'm 6'1) but as far as pepping goes, I'm no good at making files. I prefer to buy things close to what I want and modify them instead of building from scratch. Like a catcher' vest for the chest and building up on it, and maybe some motorcycle armor to build up shoulders and back. I want gypse danger, it seems the most simple. and the Russian one seems the hardest IMO.

after doing some minimal research, standard ironman pep files (especially chest and waist) look to fit almost perfect. I'd just upscale the chest to make it bigger and fill with foam.

I have only done a Captain America helmet. I wanted to dig into something a lot bigger, but I'm not really an Iron Man fan. But I really, really loved Pacific Rim. A Gipsy Danger would be sweet, but the Striker Eureka would also be amazing.

A Cherno Alpha would be pretty badass, too. Or even the pilot costumes for Cherno would be awesome too, cus my wife is about a foot shorter than I, maybe I could convince her to be Sasha?

Gypsy Danger has been released with textures in 3DS MAX and .OBJ formats(Thanks SriLanKing for the heads up)

Here's video for the model and link:

Gipsy Danger 3D Model - YouTube

And here's Zero Prime's 405th thread with separated OBJs:

Gypsy Danger (Pacific Rim) Files

....A quick render of the .OBJ to give you an idea of the poly count:

The model obviously still needs a lot of work, but the poly count isn't horrible and the texture files IGN released to go with it are really decent as well. I'm thinking I may have to put Eureka on hold and convert this one into an unfolded wearable component suit as a proof of concept. :) Halloween is coming.... :lol

Love those 2 (Juggernaut is a fan made)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374991967673.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374991967673.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,363
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374991986023.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374991986023.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Gypsy Danger has been released with textures in 3DS MAX and .OBJ formats(Thanks SriLanKing for the heads up)

Here's video for the model and link:

Gipsy Danger 3D Model - YouTube

And here's Zero Prime's 405th thread with separated OBJs:

Gypsy Danger (Pacific Rim) Files

....A quick render of the .OBJ to give you an idea of the poly count:

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/00ec/oqiapkhmpicmx9e4g.jpg[/URL]

The model obviously still needs a lot of work, but the poly count isn't horrible and the texture files IGN released to go with it are really decent as well. I'm thinking I may have to put Eureka on hold and convert this one into an unfolded wearable component suit as a proof of concept. :) Halloween is coming.... :lol

Amazing work as always!

Well I for one don't deserve any credit, I'm mostly just manipulating what's already there. ;)

I gotta say, the proportions of Gypsy are pretty atypical for a cosplay suit. I think the overall look of the suit can be kept pretty close, but not without decent mech arm extensions. I'm trying to keep this suit and the Stryker Eureka refit the same scale so they look correct together. For now, the stilted Gypsy Danger suit stands at right over 7 1/2' tall.

Just posted this GD helmet unfold elsewhere, here is the link to use as well.

For the last week I've also been tearing into the model work (with the much appreciated help of SriLanKING) used in the Yukes 360 Pacific Rim console game. The Jaeger PDOs (most likely textured) for Gipsy Danger, Cherno Alpha, and Crimson Typhoon will be posted tonight or tomorrow morning, ignoring unexpected glitches. These Jaeger PDOs will not be separated into individual components or unfolded (I don't have that kind of time lol) but the PDOs will be unlocked so anybody can take a whack at separating and/or unfolding them. I'll include my renders in the post (or possibly new thread) so people know what they are getting into. Sorry, no Striker Eureka or other Jaegers yet, they are being released as separate DLCs at a later time. Guess that means I'm going back to working on my Eureka :(

Here's a texture-applied unfold of the Gipsy Danger helmet. The helmet scale is at 32.22775, the distance from ear pod to ear pod is about 8 1/12 inches, so scale will need to be adjusted accordingly. This file is not locked, and will open in designer or viewer. the texture can be turned off by unchecking others>texture on/off in Pepakura. The paper size is set for letter. Happy building.

IGN Gipsy Danger Helmet paper unfolded (laellee)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back