Skyrim - Glass Dagger (build)

Thom NK

After finishing the Nordic War Axe here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/skyrim-nordic-war-axe-final-other-stuff-190290/ (which I think I posted in the wrong sub forum) I decided I wanted to build more Skyrim weapons.
I love the glass series of weapons and armor a lot. And they seemed to be a pretty good challenge for learning new techniques. (which it has been) I also wanted to try a new method to build the whole project, that being laser cutting the base.
So lots of new things for me to try out : )
This is going to be resin cast in the end.

I actually started this build in June, but I haven't been able to post progress here till now. So this is what I've done on it since then in my free time.

I did a quick mock-up of the dagger based on some screen shots. Though since then I changed a couple things in the design. For the side view, it just gets too thin to really work in real life. I'm going to add a few probably about 1/8" extra to the thickness when building it.

glass dagger1.jpg

I got all the pieces laser cut at a local store. I'm going to be one side of the piece, then casting two and fitting them together for the final piece so that it come out perfectly symmetrical in the end.

glass dagger2.jpgglass dagger3.jpg

Next I glued parts together. And layered on some Apoxie sculpt. I decided to do just the blade first rather than tackle both the hilt and blade at the same time (it was a bit overwhelming to thing about all at once :p).

glass dagger4.jpg

After I was happy with sculpting, I gave it a prime checking for imperfections. Unfortunately the weather was crazy and it ruined my primer (the paint sprayed out as a dust almost. So there was a lot of cleanup). And after I was happy with it I did the mold for the first half.

glass dagger5.jpgglass dagger6.jpg

Once that was done, I started work on the hilt in the same fashion as the blade.
glass dagger8.jpgglass dagger9.jpg

I did some tests with the resin to see if I could get a decent looking texture to the blade. I ended up liking the 3rd one on the second picture. I'm going to be using this method, but I will still need to do some more tweaks to get it to look how I want. Also I need to change the colour a bit too.

glass dagger7.jpgglass dagger10.jpg

Here is a current look at the build. I did test cast with the hilt using cold cast brass powder and a little bit of weathering and put all my test pieces together. I am really liking how it looks so far. But there is still a lot of work to do before its all done. I still need to make some fixes to the pieces and fit the two sides together for the final mold. And of course get the colour of the blade and gems correct.

glass dagger11.jpgglass dagger12.jpg

Hope you like it. Let me know of any suggestions you have or advice for the next steps : )

Also I wish I knew how to make images larger. So if anyone can tell me, I'd appreciate it!

Very good work! I always thought the glass weapons in the game were somewhat ridiculous, but they looked good. You've done a wonderful job creating one! :thumbsup

I can give you a 3d model of the dagger. I have the actual one extracted from the game. let me know if you want it!

Thanks, That'd be pretty cool to get a hold of : ) There are some parts that are a bit difficult to see in game because of lighting.

Very good work! I always thought the glass weapons in the game were somewhat ridiculous, but they looked good. You've done a wonderful job creating one! :thumbsup

Hehe, thanks. They are a bit strange looking, but I loved how unique they look in the game. Almost everything else is so grey. I'd love to make an elven or dwarven weapon using the same technique as the hilt. I really like the Dwarven bow *-*

Damn that is amazing.

When you get em finished up, please let me know if you are going to do a run.

I love the glass weapons. Only thing I dislike is the goofy looking helmet :lol

Chris

Very well done. This is hilarious because I just started a glass dagger myself, for the same reasons (the glass weps are some of my favorite in Skyrim, it's a nice small single-part prop, a few useful techniques, etc.).
I am so far going at sculpting some plasticine clay, which I was planning on molding. Since the dagger is mirrored on both sides I was thinking I'd just make one sculpt and make two molds. Could you tell me what resin/coloring you used? I'm rather blown away because of how I was just starting this build myself and yours looks very good!

You nailed the look of the glass for sure, that's great! I also had that same issue with primer powder spray, I figured it was because of the heat, or humidity maybe. It still primed, but it's a lot of clean up work.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back