Flashpoint (The Flash Movie)

Re: Flash

THE FLASH Movie Set for 2018, Will Star Ezra Miller
Ezra Miller (The Perks of Being a Wallflower) will star as The Flash. So this means DC movie universe and DC TV universe are going to remain separate.
March 23, 2018 is the release date.

Agreed... Marvel is gradually connecting their movie universe with their TV universe and it works... very well in fact. Why would DC not want to do the same. Do something ground breaking for a change and have a major character play both sides.

This Ezra kid looks like a catastrophic miscasting. I don't see anything that even remotely looks like he could be The Flash.
Starting to wonder if Marvel has had sleepers working for WB/DC waiting for them to ramp up their hero movies so the could sabotage them from the inside.

The saddest part for me is, at one point, Ryan Reynolds would have been my first choice to play the Flash.

I always thought the same thing.
Nathan Fillion would have been a good GL.
Or, I still think Jason Lewis has a definite comic book character look about him.
Ben Browder and Michael Shanks also would have made great characters. Not sure how they're keeping up with the age though.
It would be cool if DC went with "grown-ups" for the DC characters... actors that aren't still in their 30's. Given that they're going with Ben Affleck as an older, seasoned Batman, it's not too late to cast other "old" guys.[

By 2016 the public will have already seen fast superheroes (Fox's Quicksilver and Marvel's Pietro) on the big screen.
DC is tasked with doing it in an original way. Given Joss/Marvel's record I predict that their Pietro in A2 will be a tough act to follow.

Yeah, but even non-comic book people have more than likely heard of the Flash. Quicksilver not so much. Not to mention we already have 2 different people playing Quicksilver between X-Men DoFP and Avengers 2. It'll probably confuse people even more about that character.

You bring up an interesting point.....
A lot of the Marvel/DC characters are if not similar sometimes downright copies of each other,so just how are they gonna pull off maybe having two films with similar characters?
Never mind some DC characters are the same as each other...like Superman and Shazam being almost the same.
They (DC,Marvel) may wind up killing each other off a little here soon.

I think more often than not it's their origin/backstory and their current alter-ego that separates them. Does Quicksilver even have an alterego... where he's got a regular Joe job, pays bills, etc?

Also, there's only so many cool ideas for powers. Super speed is kind of a no-brainer. Then you get all of the last few generations of X-men that have weird powers like Husk, Chamber, etc.

Re: The Flash (Movie)

I think DC/WB would be wise to take these lesser characters like Flash and Arrow from the TV show and use them in the movie. This way, Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman can stay in movie, but can be referenced on the shows. Maybe GL can be used in the movie and in the TV show if they decide to use someone else rather than Ryan Reynolds. I would still like to see Reynolds as GL again (though I agree he would have made a better Flash).

Just like many i would have prefered them using the actors from the tv shows. That way they already have flash and arrow without having to give them yet another origin movie.

Let's face it. DC has had problems making good superhero movies for a looooong time. As a Batman franchise, the Dark Knight trilogy sucked. As movies, I enjoyed them, just were just poor interpretations of the Batman. GL sucked. Jonah Hex, Superman Returns and Catwoman were all terrible. You have to go back to what? Batman and Batman Returns for something decent? Though I will say I enjoyed Man of Steel but it could have been a lot better.

But I really hope they can pull it off. Though so far their casting has not been great. And while I think Ezra may be a good actor, he's a terrible choice considering the direction they are going with Superman and Batman being so much older. Unless they are trying to smash Titans and Justice League together.

Let's face it. DC has had problems making good superhero movies for a looooong time. As a Batman franchise, the Dark Knight trilogy sucked. As movies, I enjoyed them, just were just poor interpretations of the Batman. GL sucked. Jonah Hex, Superman Returns and Catwoman were all terrible. You have to go back to what? Batman and Batman Returns for something decent? Though I will say I enjoyed Man of Steel but it could have been a lot better.

The trilogy sucked? But the first two were decent... so the trilogy didn't suck... just the last movie is what you're really saying. If that's the case, yes, the Bane movie was meh. The other two were great. I don't see why people hold on to the Burton/Keaton Batman as being the gold star achievement in DC movies.

Superman Returns wasn't a horrible movie... it just didn't have the feeling of a grand scale that we had been acustomed to for so long with the Reeves movies. Then you get Man of Steel which is Superman X-treme in terms of action and effects and in-your-face everything... but when all of that is stripped away wasn't what it could have been.

Jonah Hex didn't even warrant my attention.. he's hardly a DC flagship character. Catwoman... should have been marketed as a parody movie it was that much of a joke. Come to think of it I didn't bother watching that either.

The trilogy sucked? But the first two were decent... so the trilogy didn't suck... just the last movie is what you're really saying. If that's the case, yes, the Bane movie was meh. The other two were great. I don't see why people hold on to the Burton/Keaton Batman as being the gold star achievement in DC movies.

Superman Returns wasn't a horrible movie... it just didn't have the feeling of a grand scale that we had been acustomed to for so long with the Reeves movies. Then you get Man of Steel which is Superman X-treme in terms of action and effects and in-your-face everything... but when all of that is stripped away wasn't what it could have been.

Jonah Hex didn't even warrant my attention.. he's hardly a DC flagship character. Catwoman... should have been marketed as a parody movie it was that much of a joke. Come to think of it I didn't bother watching that either.

Nope, I mean the trilogy. I never said the first two were good. I was referring to the Burton films when I said Batman and Batman Returns. I didn't think the first two in the trilogy were good Batman movies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first 2 as movies, they just were not good Batman movies. And 3 was just bad all around.

And Superman Returns was pretty terrible. Rehash of Luthor. Superkid. Tired Kryptonite story. Hell, he doesn't even really fight anyone or even punch anyone for the entire movie. He gets weakened by the island so quickly that Luthor just slaps him around a little. Then suddenly he can pick up the entire island and fly? Come on. It's pretty terrible.

Agreed. Although most of my problem comes from the actor being so young.

And Superman Returns was pretty terrible. Rehash of Luthor. Superkid. Tired Kryptonite story. Hell, he doesn't even really fight anyone or even punch anyone for the entire movie. He gets weakened by the island so quickly that Luthor just slaps him around a little. Then suddenly he can pick up the entire island and fly? Come on. It's pretty terrible.

Agreed... no super fights. Just various displays of super powers.
Yes... picking up the island of kryptonite was stupid... compared to reversing time by flying around the planet... or a machine that takes away superpowers... then gives them back and takes them again... I'll stop at 2... because 3 and 4 were complete train wrecks.

Agreed... no super fights. Just various displays of super powers.
Yes... picking up the island of kryptonite was stupid... compared to reversing time by flying around the planet... or a machine that takes away superpowers... then gives them back and takes them again... I'll stop at 2... because 3 and 4 were complete train wrecks.

Frankly, all of the Superman movies have flaws. Superman 1 due to the time travel earth backwards,
Superman 2 due to Cellophane S Shields and completely missing scenes, Superman 3 due to campiness in large, Superman 4 due to useless SFX and completely missing scenes,
and Superman Returns due to its terrible attempt at continuing a "vague" sequel.

As a piece of technical film making, Superman Returns was fine, but story wise it was pretty boring, and should have been an origin story like Man of Steel eventually did.

Man of Steel also has flaws, too much CGI action, and far too much shaky cam. It could have been a masterpiece, but instead ended up ok.

Okay, I've watched The perks of being a wallflower (if you haven't seen it, it's absolutely worth it) and I get it. I still think he looks weird, but I can see him as the flash, his voice, his quirkiness, it's all there to make a great flash, and his acting was superb in Perks, better than Cavill in everything I've seen him in (I like Cavill !), so I'm sold.

I guess I am the only on that liked Superman Returns. I didn't like the part where Lois's kid was his but picking up after Superman 2 I don't think was such a bad thing. I liked the no origin story approach. I mean how many more times are we going to see Uncle Ben die or the Wayne's shot in an alley?

Man of Steel also has flaws, too much CGI action, and far too much shaky cam. It could have been a masterpiece, but instead ended up ok.

As much as I liked MoS, I could almost compare it to Prometheus.... extremely watchable, until you turn your brain on.

Zod's motives made no sense --- arrive on a planet, get a headache and decide the best way to take it over would be to turn it into an environment that removes the Kryptonians' new super-human abilities? Why, because all of the unborn Kryptonians in the shuttle will also get headaches... like... Clark... did. He somehow managed and is now SUPERMAN.

I wasn't crazy about the organic looking Krypton... I thought it was too much of a departure from what we've been raised on. But I liked the costumes.

Michael Shannon was a great Zod though... almost Heath Ledger's Joker. Almost. But he could have been a lot better with better writing.

Here we go again with "We're going to do a different take on the character." Yeah, that usually turns out well.

I'm absolutely not going to judge the movie, or Ezra, until I see it all in action.

I do however fear the real possibility that the TV shows the Flash will cover any potential story lines that the movie could take. 2018 is a long ways away, and more than enough time to solidify The Flash as one of the best superhero shows on air. If we keep going how season one went, I absolutely see it happening.

DC may think it's a good idea to keep the TV and Cinematic universes separate... some would say it's the Reverse. :lol

My other concern is the possibility of Superhero Fatigue really setting in. I watched AoU when it came out, and it felt like a two hour trailer for three more Marvel movies.. With DC setting up a timeline of movies, I fear they'll make the same mistakes.

Live action superhero films have found stories to tell despite the myriad of cartoons and other live action shows featuring the same characters, I see no reason why there should be a worry that this film will be flummoxed by the show.

Let's look at what we have for a second. The Flash is on air, and potentially will be for a long time. We have already covered the Reverse Flash, Gorilla Grodd, the Rogue Gallery, and quite a few baddies as metahumans. They have three years to expand on all of these things and more, they're doing it with great effects and cgi, and already have a pretty huge following of "non comic" fans.

What does this have to compete with?

A two hour movie? A two hour movie that will cover the origin again. Introduce the characters, allies and villains again. Set up and resolve some kind of plot. Using actors that the general masses, and fans of the TV show will be completely unfamiliar with. My point is, we've seen it all, and with actors and actresses we're comfortable with to boot.

I've been saying for years now that the big cinematic movie experience is going down the tubes. Shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Daredevil, etc.etc.etc. are all giving us these fantastic, plot driven, cinematic 13+ hour movies. I really think the episodic format is not only better for a show like the Flash, but is also taking over the masses. You can say "oh well we've had cartoons" but it's absolutely a moot point. You can argue it's in the ballpark, but I'm saying we're in a completely different game. Television and how we consume it has rapidly shifted to parallel or even out do the movie experience.

They can claim they're doing a "different take" on the character all they want but in the end it will be a woefully condensed version of something we've already seen on Tv.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back