Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

josswhedon: Affleck'll crush it. He's got the chops, he's got the chin -- just needs the material. Affleck & Cavill toe to toe -- I'm in.

ValEKilmer: Give Ben a chance!

9582609552_261650db8e_o.png

9579824799_be8e6f3e44_o.png

Last edited:
Ben Affleck Is Going To Be Batman For A While | Badass Digest
Guess those aggressive whiners will keep churning those fruitless petitions for the next few years, unless the next film is a bust.

Here's a decent read on the events leading up to Affleck taking the role:

Why Ben Affleck Said 'Yes' to Batman (Analysis)

Good read, here are some highlights from the article.

"Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the process began earlier this year, after director Zack Snyder had finished working on Man of Steel with producer Christopher Nolan. Snyder and the studio already had ideas for a follow-up, and Snyder reached out to Affleck to check the star's interest.

It's unclear when exactly these talks began. Multiple sources say the studio approached other actors as well, including Josh Brolin. Ryan Gosling was also a possibility, but the actor dislikes the idea of sequels.

But Affleck was curious, and initial talks focusing on story and character began. Once Affleck was satisfied, WME's Patrick Whitesell and Ziffren Brittenham's Sam Fischer began negotiating his role in the Superman sequel. Sources say that Affleck has been signed for multiple movies, should sequels continue to proliferate."

"On one level, Affleck’s return to superheroes seems bewildering. The Oscar-winning co-writer of Good Will Hunting drew scorn after donning the red suit for Daredevil, and later agreed it wasn't his best work. After he'd recovered and turned in a bravura performance directing and starring in The Town, Fox offered him the chance to direct and star in a Daredevil reboot -- but Affleck turned it down."

"More recently, Nolan offered Affleck the chance to direct Man of Steel. Affleck declined, seemingly because of a desire not to return to the world of capes -- despite being an avowed comic book fan.

But it turns out Warner Bros. had other plans. And indeed, the film acts as a canny show of force by the studio, which, with one announcement, publicly threw its support behind one of its signature stars. Warners just showed Hollywood that it's still very much in the Ben Affleck business, a necessary move after his Argo took home the best picture Oscar, and after Kevin Tsujihara's ouster of Affleck champion Jeff Robinov left many of the studio’s go-to talents uneasy."

Affleck, as much as I like him in some movies, is the second worst casting choice Batman-related I've heard since Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman.
Ironically, Hathaway was one of those quirks that really worked in the Nolan films. She might not've been as great as Ledger or Oldman, but I liked her as Selina Kyle. I found Hathaway to much better casted than say... Bale, Hardy, Freeman, Cotillard and the terrible Cillian Murphy. Heck, as much as I enjoy Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the most part... he seemed miscasted.

So....... for sure Matt Damon as Robin?

JK, dont know if anyone made that crack yet. Would be funny. Especially if they also cast Jennifer Garner as the new Mr.Ed lol

Here Bale tells him, "make sure you growl when you talk"

View attachment 223440

I never minded the growl. At least he sounds and looks different. Unlike superman. Hey... ill just pop my glasses on! Ta da!

Back in 1989 I remember people flipping out over Keaton.
I recall negative talk about other Batmen castings, Ledger for the joker, etc...etc...

Nobody in the fan world ever seems to be happy... Then the film comes out and they flip out about how they loved it :lol

Give Ben a chance... He just might surprise you!

Thats cos its cool to hate change. Like who ever has bought every iphone since the 3g! Mini joke no need to flame!

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Nothing like the announcement of a new Batman or Superman or Joker to bring out the worst in some people.

I myself prefer to wait and see if they're any good in the role, if they suck then it's open season.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back