Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

For the same reason why the suit of armor leaves the bottom of his face unprotected. Aesthetics.
To be honest, that's always been something of a problem with both Batman and Superman. Bats is a vigilante crimefighter, but he leaves half of his face exposed so that both his enemies and law enforcement can identify him? And Superman's big secret identity disguise is a pair of eyeglasses??? :facepalm

Bats is a vigilante crimefighter, but he leaves half of his face exposed so that both his enemies and law enforcement can identify him?
Identify him by his chin alone? I suppose if you commit enough time and vigilance to comparing chins you could come up with Bruce Wayne, but I very much doubt that would hold up in court.

His enemies don't need that much proof though lol.

If you look at Bale or Ben in the suit, you can tell instantly who they are but if they cover up the lower halves of their face.. they just wouldn't look like Batman to us.

It is all about the aesthetics, and not something that needs to be "explained" IMO... Just suspend your disbelief and watch the movie.

Thing is, we, as spectator, are somewhat able to recognise the actor's chin (although I would argue that the fact we know who it is under the cowl make us probably biased), because we're watching from an outside perspective, with long nice and still shots and even close ups. Someone who would live in gotham would actually a much harder time to get a good long look at the batman's chin ! Criminals do get close to him, but usually they're busy getting beat up, not focused on his chin... Batman isn't known either to pose for photoshoot. One of the only people who actually stood close to him staying still for some time might be commissioner Gordon, who in most incarnation actually doesn't really care who the batman is.
That doesn't apply at all for Superman though, you still need a buck load of suspension of disbelief for him.

In other news, I read that the movie is officially PG 13, nothing unexpected here, but the reason is for "intense sequence of violence" and "some sensuality" ?

Someone should do some photo shops of lots of different actors with the Batman cowl on, without revealing who the actor is, and let's see how many we can identify. I think it might be harder than we figure. Especially if you go with the white eyes.

batman_actors_18_1.jpg

Perhaps he should put on a pair of glasses. The only truly fool proof disguise in the DCCU. :cool

Last edited:
Identify him by his chin alone? I suppose if you commit enough time and vigilance to comparing chins you could come up with Bruce Wayne, but I very much doubt that would hold up in court.
You would also see his mouth. Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer both have somewhat unique shapes to their mouths and lips, and neither of them did much to change their voices when they were in their Batsuits. And Christian Bale has a noticeable lisp even when he's doing the Batvoice. Surely it wouldn't take long for a trained detective like Jim Gordon, who also knew Bruce Wayne, to figure out who was under the cowl.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back