Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

It basically looks like this (borrowing masked rider's photo) but on steroids:
IMG_9115.jpg

I'll admit if I'm wrong about it being printed but regardless it's definitely not all Cavill under there and the way the light reflects off the front of the body doesn't make sense considering everyone else's front looks more shaded. Either the blue suit is muscle shaded or the silver muscle suit has more contrast, or combination of both.

Come on guys that is shaded bigger than ****. You can no see his leg muscles to that degree through fabric. We aren't saying he didn't put time in the gym but come on.

On camera and after post it'll look amazing.

But the photo does make it feel like they're cheating his definition.
I concur. But this is common practice. Wardrobe and makeup departments have been doing this for decades because the studio lights tend to "flatten" things out and little details like muscle striations and definition/separation don't get captured on film otherwise. You know all those actors with the "six pack" abs? Some of them actually have them, some don't. Either way, the makeup department adds shading so that they'll show up on film whether they're there or not, so it makes sense that they would do the same thing with the Supersuit. Cavill has the muscle, but if they don't highlight and shade the suit it won't show up on screen.

I have to say, it looked like painted shading to me as well, at first. However, I now believe it's just the silver muscle suit underneath the see-through fabric reflecting the light.

I concur. But this is common practice. Wardrobe and makeup departments have been doing this for decades because the studio lights tend to "flatten" things out and little details like muscle striations and definition/separation don't get captured on film otherwise. You know all those actors with the "six pack" abs? Some of them actually have them, some don't. Either way, the makeup department adds shading so that they'll show up on film whether they're there or not, so it makes sense that they would do the same thing with the Supersuit. Cavill has the muscle, but if they don't highlight and shade the suit it won't show up on screen.
You're absolutely right. I forgot about all those abs and pecs airbrushed for the hero shot.

I'll add my $0.02 here and say that it is shaded, possibly padded in some areas. Not saying the Cavill doesn't have the body, he totally does, it's just that there might be some help.

Look at Mike O'Hearn as Superman.

foto_worldfinest_04.jpg

The man is absolutlely shredded, yet you can barely make out any definition.

Not only does spandex or whatever material they're using obscure a lot of muscle definition, but the musculature visible on Cavill's costume is far too symmetrical to be legit. I've no doubt he's built, but they have to make the suit with some sort of under padding or painted on muscle to make up for what's lost with the costume not hugging every contour (spandex is not spray paint after all).

Totally painted or printed. There is no fabric in the world that clings to every muscle contour like that. Maybe it could if there was some sort of positive pressure vacuum.
I wear a silicon sleeve over my knee and even though it's skin tight the only way it conforms to very one shape under it is from a vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... I don't know about anyone here, but big ripped muscles was never a thing for me when it came to the signature and iconic look of Superman. Sure, you can have him be built to be large, but heavily defined muscles? Why does Superman need that detail? To give the expectation that he's strong? He's an alien. When I see Henry Cavill stealing clothes from the clothes line, he looks like someone who should be auditioning for the Hulk.

Exactly, he should be extremely skinny, since his muscles don't get the right stimulation needed to grow. Unless of course he bench pressed freight trains in college or something.

Agreed, if the pseuodscience is that the gravity on his home planet is stronger, thus making an average man on krypton Superman on earth, then he would've atrophied into a pile of jelly as a baby.

Agreed, if the pseuodscience is that the gravity on his home planet is stronger, thus making an average man on krypton Superman on earth, then he would've atrophied into a pile of jelly as a baby.
Well, muscle and bone development are not just a matter of genetics but are also developmental. I would expect him to develop more like an average human with average strength. His skeletal structure might be different. If Kryptonian bone isn't like Terran bone in composition I would expect him to have some physical deformity as well.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back