Matty Ghostbusters Proton Wand

If you aren't able to get one before its "sold out" within 3 days, Big Bad Toy Store will probably sell them with a marginal mark up. That's what they did with the Ecto Goggles which were at the time still available when Matty Collector Ecto Goggles status was/is "sold out."

Which we know is a joke. Especially with the figures. I realize Mattel would have kept a certain number in case of replacements. I read this week the remaining stock of Ecto Goggles may be sold as part of a Cyber Monday sale.

I wouldnt worry about its availability if they sell out fast. Matty will just release more in the future like they have with the PKE multiple times already.

It's a stand-alone product, so if you want to attach it to a pack, you'll most likely have to modify it; if there's stuff in the handle (which there most likely is because of the port there), you'd probably have to relocate it.

Hmm...guess we'll have to see. My speaker is in the pack, guess if the matty wand has a loud enough speaker, I can disable it and just run a cable up to the wand to turn on the lights.

Are they really not doing a pack - they mention the possibility here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they mention that there is the possibility, but look at the trend as it pertains to quality and accuracy with their full-size toy line. Do you really think they could (would) put out a 1:1 that didn't look terrible?

I really think we will see a pack eventually. It won't be perfect, but it will be as close as everything else has been.

All in all, I am pretty excited. Its been said a million times, but is this line one of perfect prop replicas? No. Are they perfect toys? YES.

With a pack, I can see it getting out of the sweet spot where the item is worth it for parts/mods alone. I know some folks have some quibbles with the other props (and I agree, I didn't buy the goggles) but I though the PKE and the all singing and (literally) all dancing trap were cool. Yes, this stuff is plasticky, but the wand will still be an upgrade for me, so roll on December.

This is probably not the right thread to ask this (sorry, there's a lot of threads on this subject), but who builds/sells finished movie-accurate proton packs?

I've heard about videobob, but...well....I've heard about videobob :rolleyes

This guy does amazing commissions for packs and pack parts, from aluminum pieces all the way up to finished hero packs with lights and sound. I've seen his work in person and it is positively astonishing.

1280827_403025986466181_2002637213_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/V330Creations

Boomerjinks also personally works with him. There's plenty of sellers that do as good, if not better (and cheaper), aluminum wands, they are just low-key about it.

Back to the OT; I can only hope the Matty "Neutrino Wand" is the last attempted Ghostbusters prop they make. The PKE wasn't perfect, but it was passable. then the trap came out; again, passable, but less attention to detail than the PKE got (which is saying something). Then the goggles came out, and they look like something you'd find in the toy aisle of Walmart next to the Iron Man and Wolverine masks. The scale of parts was off, the details weren't right, and the color was completely wrong. When this was brought to the attention of Matty, they told the fans they were wrong, and that the color was perfect. Again, it's a neat toy, but it's not a prop, and for what it costs, you can build something that looks way better.

Now this Matty "neutrino wand" comes out. The details, if there at all, are muddy, the seam lines are huge, and just looks really cheap. Again, there were comments about color, and Matty again denied the fans were correct, then corrected what was "right" all along. The lighting sequences don't match the films, and I can't see any way to realistically attach it to a pack; there's not even any semblance of a V-hook. Is it a neat toy? Sure. Would I spend money on it instead of something like a ThrowingChicken kit for a real build? Heck no.

When it comes down to it, Matty isn't making props, they are making expensive toys that tend to not live up to their hype.

Nobody should be complaining about the accuracy of a TOY. The Matty wand looks fine as it is.

This is probably not the right thread to ask this (sorry, there's a lot of threads on this subject), but who builds/sells finished movie-accurate proton packs?

I've heard about videobob, but...well....I've heard about videobob :rolleyes

If you want a TRULY accurate pack, build one. And here is some advice from someone that has bought (and replaced) parts from every GB seller imaginable in that last 4 years. What I can say from experience is that making or commissioning a TRULY accurate pack is simpler nowadays than ever before. It can be done in 2 easy steps..

1: Nickatron makes the best and most accurate shells there will ever be, along with producing bumpers cast from a real one. He also produces the finest commission packs money can buy.

2: MMMs aluminum parts are 2nd to NONE for quality and accurate specs/details, and he doesnt charge greedy platinum prices for it either. After all, it's just aluminum!!

and now you are 90% of the way there to an accurate Hero pack, at a fraction of the price it used to cost for stuff thats nowhere close to the quality and accuracy.

As far as greebles go, just be patient and buy the right stuff first. Stay away from overpriced, inaccurate knockoffs.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the advice, Phish4Dinner! I'll definitely look into all the options you laid out. Much appreciated.

Also, what do you think of Phantom Blasters work? They were also someone I considered.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the advice, Phish4Dinner! I'll definitely look into all the options you laid out. Much appreciated.

Also, what do you think of Phantom Blasters work? They were also someone I considered.

Thats the seller with those old youtube reviews, correct?

Not really impressed with those..

Really, the only complete packs worth buying/commissioning imo are Nickatrons. The attention to detail will be lightyears ahead of any other full pack options. Aside from that option, a really nice pack that stands out from the crowd only pops up for sale 1-3 times a year, if you're lucky.

If you're going to drop the kind of cash it takes to buy a finished pack, better go all out!

Got mine today with no problems. Still available half an hour later.

My current wand is a piece of junk that I'll be glad to see the back of, so this will do for the time being. I don't like how the tip comes out on a motor (surely it should just "snap" out?) but otherwise it looks OK. I'm trying to decide weather to wire the lights and speaker in my pack up to this, or I may just make a horrible cheat and run a wire up from the pack to the wand and stick an extra switch there somewhere out of the way. I'm *hoping* that someone smarter than me with electronics can figure out how to integrate the plug at the end of matty's wand into an existing pack, that would solve a bunch of problems.

I just ordered with no problem. I am sure everyone that wants one will get one.

On another note, I wish the Ecto-1 large scale car hit it's goal. It did not get enough people that wanted it so it was scrapped. Shame as it looked awesome

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back