Pacific Rim Ranger Bomber Jacket

Murded

So I saw Pacific Rim last weekend and I loved it. I thought it was awesome that the pilots of the Jaegers had bomber jackets with their Jaegers design on them.

My Favorite was Striker Eureka so I decided to make the Jacket.

The first step was to buy the Jacket, I found a cheap imitation leather bomber jacket on Amazon.

Then I found the design that was on the right shoulder that I will be painting on with enamel paints:

During the movie there was some symbols on the back of the jacket that I could not figure out, until I got the art book:

I figure they added these to the jacket to show their kill count which thanks to the art book also is 11.

I just need to figure out how many across it goes to make it as accurate as possible.

I also bought this to sew onto the front left of the jacket:

Now I just need to make the time to paint this beast and not mess up lol.

Derp, I just started a post on this exact project.

Trying to get good reference images for a Gipsy Danger jacket.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure the kill count is 11?

In the film, they say that the Kaiju in Sydney was number 10.

SPOILER:

It might be including one from the group fight that they shot in the eye with the flare gun or the one they nuked lol. But the book for sure says 11, but now that you mention it I might just put 10.

I found a higher rez image of the symbol with the correct colors that I will be painting on hopefully this weekend.

Looking good Striker!

Gipsy had a little WW II style fighter pin up girl if I recall correctly, but for the life of me I can't find a good shot of her.

Did Cherno have a bomber jacket? I didn't notice their crew wearing one, but they were pretty stoic and humourless.

Thank you for those! That's about the clearest shot I've been able to get, myself.

I may have to wait for Bluray release to get a good detail shot of the pin-up girl but, I should be able to start on the rest of the jacket before that.

Looks like the pinup girl is on the left side of the chest, and I thiiink the back for GD is the text you posted over a larger winged star, red white and blue if I remember. Edit: My husband just confirmed that's what he remembers as well.

I grabbed some stills of them walking from a teaser, little easier to see the jacket style and decorations on the front. GD has the kill counts too, on the right breast. Looks like three or four prior to Knifehead.
Plvsodx.jpg

Last edited:
YES!

That is a great shot.

I'm about to go see the movie again, we'll see what details I can commit to memory this time around.

My biggest questions still to answer are the colors of the back piece, and if the design is painted or embroidered.

And glad I can help! Hope I can put this together before DCon, Dunno if I just wanna have the jacket to be cool or do a full out generic GD pilot or I suppose I could say I'm a genderbent Raleigh. :>

The 5 kills is from the design book they released, I'm just not sure if those are 5 kills across the entire Kaiju war or up to the time of the events of the film.

Well, having just come from the film...

The back of the Gipsy Danger jacket features the winged star in white above the words "Gipsy Danger".

The tricky part is that there is also a panel of leather across the shoulders, stiched in a criss-cross/quilted pattern. I believe there were also small panels on each shoulder.

Shouldn't be impossible to replicate, once we have more detailed images of it.

Gipsy Danger I believe had five kills at the time of her fight with Knifehead. If you count that Kaiju which, they technically did kill, it would be six.

If we are counting all kills, she would have nine.

Got another look at the back. Across the shoulders is indeed a different texture, essentially quilted leather like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-n4Kz-rTqN...s1600/balenciaga_quilted_leatherjacket_2.jpeg

The quilty bit goes from the top shoulder seam to maybe 4-5 inches down and ends in some basic piping, then there is the back emblem, which is all white and painted, not embroidered, which is arranged as such:
Gipsy
\\\\\[*]/////
Danger

With slight overlap of the words on the winged star

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back