Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP

UPDATE:

All pictures from this update can be found here:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#04jan2017

Time is flying. This was a loooong break. Sorry for those who waited so long for this going on.

The last part of the hull should be next. Its mainly about the upper back part from the ship. I started with what I just noticed lately:
Khetanna_580.jpg

Khetanna_581.jpg

Looks like beeing a chain from an anchor in some way???

Getting on with the last panels to add to the hull (of course after puttying and sanding for hours...... ;) ):
Khetanna_582.jpg

Khetanna_583.jpg

Khetanna_584.jpg

Not movie accurate but sort of. I had to change and improve them to match my "shortened version".

Adding some details to the rails (not sanded yet):
Khetanna_585.jpg

Khetanna_586.jpg

Also the broken strut from the movie modell:
Khetanna_588.jpg

And some overall shots from the back railings:
Khetanna_589.jpg

Khetanna_590.jpg

Hope you like it. Thanks for looking!

Hi Wolff, ... thanks for returning to this project ... 2016 has been quite horrific for me personally ... so it warms my heart to see you'll continue and finish this wonderful scratchbuild further . . . it looks fantastic ... so keep up the good work and all the best wishes for 2017 :)

Chaïm

Hey Chaim, nice to see a familiar face here . Sorry to hear that your year was horrific. I cross the fingers for you that 2017 will make you forget about that year. Cheers Wolff

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#05jan2017

Next up is the floor paneling to the back rear. Couldn't find a movie or ILM picture so I got one invented:
Khetanna_591.jpg

Khetanna_592.jpg

Also the ladder and other stuff for the details need to be made:
Khetanna_593.jpg

Khetanna_595.jpg

Khetanna_594.jpg

Khetanna_596.jpg

Khetanna_597.jpg

Here is a comparison with a set shot (The gargoyles cant be seen in this shot but are there......remember my version is a bit smaller.... ;) )
Khetanna_599.jpg

Looking good so far I think:
Khetanna_598.jpg

Khetanna_600.jpg

Khetanna_601.jpg

Nice to see you back!
Even if it is not exactly to proportions no one will mistake what this is intended to be. :p
I'll bet that with all the detail you are putting into this most will not even notice the scale and proportion issues. :cool

This is an incredible project you have going here. Looking forward to the progress 2017 will bring.
Looks like you have made quite a bit of progress on the mast...

I have to say this is spectacular. (not that there is any doubt)

I'm also going to be making a few "toy" models, so its encouraging to see that others are excited/accepting of that concept as well. I'm on another modeling forum where they aren't as open to the idea of things not being 100% perfectly accurate. Even if it's not theirs :rolleyes

-RJ

Thanks guys. Your comments always help to go on as quick as possible!!! :D :D :D

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#14jan2017

Here we go on with the deck. Still some stuff and details missing:
Khetanna_603.JPG

Khetanna_604.JPG

Khetanna_605.JPG

No on with the frustrating part: The deck-cannon.
I am working on the cannon from time to time since the beginning. Because it's a toy and toy 3 3/4 inch figures should be used it was clear to me to use the Hasbro cannon. Therfore it was always important to include it in the planning also for the size. Here is some old pics:
khetanna_094.jpg

khetanna_095.jpg

khetanna_096.jpg

So far so good, but the cannon always looked ridiculously oversized. I planed and built two sockets by now only to throw them into the bin.

So here we go again. Hasbro cannon modification: Most annoying to me was the back of the cannon and the very wide step to the side.
Khetanna_606.JPG

Khetanna_607.JPG

Khetanna_608.JPG

I also wanted the cannon still to fire the missiles, but the muzzles just looked wrong:
Khetanna_609.JPG

Khetanna_610.JPG

More modifictaions:
Khetanna_611.JPG

Khetanna_612.JPG

Khetanna_613.JPG

Khetanna_614.JPG

Buliding the base:
Khetanna_615.JPG

Khetanna_616.JPG

Khetanna_617.JPG

Proper end to the muzzles:
Khetanna_618.JPG

And now the worst case scenario. Some super glue found its way into the spring mechanism. The missiles don't launch anymore. I tried to release it with a scalpel, but the knob broke into pieces. Then I tried to drill 1 mm holes into the mechanism to add wires to connect it to the knob again...more things broke.......that is kind of very frustrating because I can't just dismantle the whole cannon without destroying most of the modifications.......I will need to think about this....for now it looks like this:
Khetanna_619.JPG

Khetanna_620.JPG

Khetanna_621.JPG

Khetanna_622.JPG

Khetanna_623.JPG

Khetanna_624.JPG

Khetanna_625.JPG

Comparison to Hasbro and the movie:
Khetanna_625a.jpg

Khetanna_625b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks HB1098S and zookone! Your comments help much. Much appreciated! :D :D :D

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#16jan2017

Okay...plan A, B and C failed. I removed all the stuff releasing the mechanism. I went with the most easy solution: I drilled holes into the top and got some wires to realease the cannons while pushing down. this works for now and can be removed (just pull)...that's good. The bad thing is: It wont work forever, at some point the top will break I think. Anyway...solution found for now and the knob will be placed in without glueing so I can make further repairs without breaking it apart.
Khetanna_626.jpg

Khetanna_627.jpg

New solution found also on the base. I always worked with blind rivets. But the base went into the bin to safe some height. And I have not enough thickness to the top deck ...I would damage the inner ceiling. Anway...I came up with another solution that makes the deck cannon also removable any time while going safe and strong without dangeling: pin + magnets!
Khetanna_628.jpg

Khetanna_629.jpg

It's all very close and narrow. that's why the handles to the back of the cannon were shortened:
Khetanna_630.jpg

Khetanna_631.jpg

Khetanna_632.jpg

All worth the final product:
Khetanna_633.jpg

Khetanna_634.jpg

Khetanna_635.jpg

Khetanna_636.jpg

Khetanna_637.jpg

Khetanna_638.jpg

Khetanna_639.jpg

Khetanna_640.jpg

Khetanna_641.jpg

Khetanna_642.jpg

One quick shot....all put together
Khetanna_643.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#20jan2017

On with the deck. Last paneling to the floor:
Khetanna_644.jpg

Details with cables for the gun:
Khetanna_645.jpg

Khetanna_646.jpg

Details to the back wall and the doors/windows behind:
Khetanna_647.jpg

Khetanna_648.jpg

Comparison:
Khetanna_649.jpg

Khetanna_650.jpg

Old problem: The paneling to the top inside is falling apart....ever since. The problem here is I have added those after priming. The glue and the primer don't work well together it seems. After reglueing parts with super glue from time to time it all went worse plus they still fall down from time to time. I have to fix this before painting. Only solution seems to be doing it again: Removing the parts, sanding....a lot of sanding and glueing new parts.
Khetanna_651.jpg

Khetanna_652.jpg

Khetanna_653.jpg

A detail for the masts...sort of speakers/megaphones?
Khetanna_654.jpg

Khetanna_655.jpg

Khetanna_656.jpg

Khetanna_657.jpg

Khetanna_658.jpg

Khetanna_659.jpg

Khetanna_660.jpg

Khetanna_661.jpg

Wolff

Thank you! :D

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#22jan2017

Fixing the partitions with magnets. I need to remove them again for painting, so this is probably the best solution.
Khetanna_662.jpg

Khetanna_663.jpg

Forgot to add an detail to the cannon:
Khetanna_664.jpg

Finsihed the seiling from the throne room:
Khetanna_680.jpg

And now....finally all parts are primed and can be put together:
Khetanna_665.jpg

Khetanna_666.jpg

Khetanna_667.jpg

Khetanna_667a.jpg

Khetanna_668.jpg

Khetanna_669.jpg

Khetanna_670.jpg

Khetanna_671.jpg

Khetanna_672.jpg

Khetanna_673.jpg

Khetanna_674.jpg

Khetanna_675.jpg

Khetanna_676.jpg

Khetanna_677.jpg

Khetanna_678.jpg

Khetanna_679.jpg

Next up: Finishing the two Ishi Tib gargoyles and fixing the Rancor statue.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back