Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 22July

With all the working elements added, this build has gone beyond amazing! Your updates are awesome, keep them coming.

Thank you!! Will do! :D

Great Stuff ! Enjoyed reading thru this entire thread great ideas and work.

Heck I half expect you to have working engines with RC control pretty soon !

.....hmmmmmmm.....radiocontrolled.........let me think of this.....:unsure

No, no, no....let's stay realistic...this would be way beyond my technical knowledge.....:lol

The landing gear is a beautiful piece of artwork! Amazing... But I do have one question: With all the greeblies and tubes added/protruding out and away from the edges of the landing gear, how are they going to retract back up into the barge? Or did I miss something?

Not sure...have you missed this???
Khetanna_192.JPG

Anyway.....here is how it looks at the moment:

Khetanna_230.jpg

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#04aug2014

Also Klaatu is finally back supervising the built. He seems to be happy with the front landing gear.

Khetanna_231.jpg

The two legs to the rear in the making:

Khetanna_232.jpg

Khetanna_233.jpg

And these are all materials the legs are built of:

Khetanna_234.jpg

"LEGO Technic" parts, various wood bandings, various round bandings made of plastic, PS-sheets (polystyrene, 0,75mm), cables and guitar strings.

Khetanna_235.jpg

Two model kits (one is a German tank from Academy and one is an electrical tower from Kibri).I also used some cable straps.

I hope you like it!

Comments/criticism are welcome...

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 04aug2

I can't believe I missed this thread. Absolutely stunning scratch build. Subscribed!

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 07July

Thank you guys!! Comments are always muuuuch appreciated. It is times like these...when some things turn out to be a bit frustrating I notice I just need to read all comments back again to get me motivated to the limit again!!!! :D

Without your comments this wouldn't been possible!!

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#12aug2014

There was loooooads of things that didn't work well or need to be improved! And also my website has timeouts...not sure what is going on. If you have problems to see the pics please let me now and also try again later....I am very sorry! :(

Before all that trouble the landing gear back legs were finished:

Khetanna_237.jpg

Khetanna_238.jpg

Khetanna_239.jpg

The details for the surface were prepared. Then they were integrated and glued to the surface.
Also the slots for the landing gear were lined and the floor in each of those three slots was made. The mechanism around the pins moving the wings and the landing gear was created as well.

Khetanna_240.jpg

Khetanna_241.jpg

Khetanna_242.jpg

Khetanna_244.jpg

Khetanna_245.jpg

Khetanna_246.jpg

The problems that occured were following:
- The landing gear didn't stay in place while the ship was turned around. The front leg just falls out a few centimeters. I installed a magnet to keep it up (--> guitar strings), but it is always too hard to push them out, or to weak to hold it in place. I need find out that special position.

- I created a hole for a stand. The ship has a landing gear you might say. Well I think it would be nice to have the ship "flying" without the landing gear always beeing lowered. I also think the landing gear is not solid enough to stay over years. I tried my best, including metal contact points but the Lego snaps of sometimes. I could glue it but then I would be never able again to change or improve something.
I tried to give the Khetanna a hole to the balance point. There a detail can be stuck on (with a magnet) or a stand can be inserted (or in future also a hand grip for playing). The problem is that the whole ship deforms just a tiny little bit and the whole mechanism thing doesn't work anymore.

Khetanna_243.jpg

There was way more problems with the instability of the whole thing, the undersurface and so on. Everything was improved also not everything is finished yet. I hope to go on with the details very soon.

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 12.Aug

Wow looks great to me ... to bad about the stability issues in regards to those wonderful created legs ... like a true propmaker you came up with a solution ... the additional plughole for an external stand ... Klaatu should be so proud of your skills ;)

Chaim

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 14 Aug

Thanks Chaim!! Gald to see you back here!!! :D

UPDATE:

I hope you are not shocked....the pics aren't gone...I just started a "page2". With nearly 260 pics it is waaaaay overdue I think ;) :D

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#14aug2014

The main parts of the undersurface are now glued on to it. Still missing the cables and wires and all the greebles.

Khetanna_256.jpg

The landing gear meachnism is now in fix position when the ship is turned around and the stand works well now.

Khetanna_248.jpg

Khetanna_253.jpg

Khetanna_249.jpg

Khetanna_250.jpg

Khetanna_251.jpg

Khetanna_252.jpg

The landing gear seems solid enough, but as said I am not sure if it would hold over years. Still some tiny corrections to make, but nearly finsihed:

Khetanna_255.jpg

Khetanna_254.jpg

I hope you like it!

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 14 Aug

Excellent job on that landing gear. Love the greeblies:cool

Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 14...

You know, for the landing gear, that's not a bad idea. If it had been me, I would have done like how Kenner did the front Snowspeeder landing gear (having a spring loaded slide that you could pull back to bring it down and release the slide to hold it in place, and pull the slide back to push back up into place and push the slide back to hold it up). But your solution is definitely better, cuts down on having to make mods to an already perfect bottom. Great work. :)

Last edited:

Thanks guys!!! :D

I btw thought too about a springloaded landing gear, but that thing is so big....it would be a problem handling it...wouldn't it?? Not sure though.....

UPDATE:

The undersurface...now nearly finished! All pictures can be found here:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#22aug2014

Starting with the turbine. I used a POTF2 Landspeeder part I got by accident. I broke it into two parts to get kind of a propeller installed. Made out of CA caps (which was stupid because you can't glue a CA cap with CA well). Added some wires and cables:

Khetanna_257.jpg

Then I started to plan the details. First I was trying to come as close to the ILM model as possible and the rest was kind of freestyle.

Khetanna_258.jpg

I also noticed that all the cables must be fixed by something because the whole thing is lying upside down? I couldn't find any cable strabs or any construction that holds the wires and hoses regarding the ILM model, but decided to build something that looked like it could hold all the stuff and prevent it from getting lost in the desert of Tatooine :D ....only seemed logical to "fix" those to the surface:

Khetanna_261.jpg

Khetanna_264.jpg

Khetanna_265.jpg

I then "tried" to prime those parts. I therefore used my airbrush the first time. I once tested it (after buying half a year ago) but seemed I hadn't cleaned it very well so I had massiv problems in the beginning. Well...seems like I need to practice, practice and practise! I always used rattlers only, but I thought it is time to start with my airbrush....better now then making the first steps while coing the paint job.
Also the grey is way too light for my needs. I will also need to sand a few parts (lots of irregularities...please do not look too close) and I will do the priming again...darker and better hopefully.

Khetanna_267.jpg

Khetanna_269.jpg

Khetanna_270.jpg

Khetanna_271.jpg

The landing gear mechanism is again not working properly...I need to fix this also. But the lights are working fine, and the wing mechanism also works great.
I also added a comparison to the ILM model, not exactly the same angle but it does the job for now I hope.

Khetanna_276.jpg

Khetanna_277.jpg

Khetanna_278.jpg

I am not sure what's up next? I had one goal for months: finishing the undersurface....still not all greeblies are up there and in my opinion the turbine is way too low....I shouldn't be that visible while looking at it from the side. I think I will make a stop for now and try to plan the next steps. ;)

I hope you like it!

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 22Aug2

Just one word: That is a thing of beauty! ;) Fantastic!

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 22Aug2

Nice job with the greeblies...be careful not to overdo it; most of your pics and the way people will look at your model will be from an "under perspective" so right now, I think there's the right amount of detailing. I'm sure that with the different washes you'll do for the used look (rust, leaks,oil, etc) will do the trick;)

Thanks guys!!! :cool

Nice job with the greeblies...be careful not to overdo it; most of your pics and the way people will look at your model will be from an "under perspective" so right now, I think there's the right amount of detailing. I'm sure that with the different washes you'll do for the used look (rust, leaks,oil, etc) will do the trick;)

Thanks, and I think as well it is enough details. I mentioned to go on because some things are missing:

1. The little parts to the front of the nose, this area has no details yet....though
2. Other little parts to the side of the construction below. there is some details were the grills are.
3. I am not sure if I will change the turbine...though...

4. There is wires hoses and cables in that space between the outer hull and the bottom. The place were the hoses go in from the engines....anyway....this needs to be done also.
5. The knobs for the mechanism need to be done.

As for the parts I have pitcured I think you are right. Thanks for letting me know!! :D :D

Where's Klaatu overseeing your greeblie extravaganza? ;) ... That's a mighty fine ship by the way! Can't wait to see the weathering tricks with your airbrush :)

Chaim

Where's Klaatu overseeing your greeblie extravaganza? ;) ... That's a mighty fine ship by the way! Can't wait to see the weathering tricks with your airbrush :)

Chaim

Hahahaha..I think I will do the weathring as I used to.....with brushes. But never say never!

I will try the chipping effect for sure. I know that ILM didn't do that, but a sandstorm ist still harmfull to the surface...see all the modell tanks that are built with the chipping!

Anyway...Klaatu was there....can you spot him???

Khetanna_261.JPG

Khetanna_263.JPG

Khetanna_275.JPG

UPDATE:

All pictures can be found here:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#01sep2014

I noticed some problems around the ship that occured with time, or things I haven't thought through good enough. There is panels and one of the doors that deformed that much over time that I need to renew them. It was also not very wise to start the paneling step by step while making the front, the middlepart and the rear. Now that the hull is completely done one side is okay but the other side needs to be redone. I am not sure if completley or if I can get a good result with partially renewing the paneling yet. The deformed door is the main problem right now. I need to add 2,5 mm to the surface at one side. I will also need to add magnets to the doors and some other transitional areas because some parts start to bulge. I also did the throne too fast. I had some wood boards that were perfect for the job so I used them, but the ship-rear is now way to heavy.

I started to make the guardrails to the middle and rear part.

Khetanna_280.JPG

Khetanna_283.JPG

While making those I noticed other problems as well. I need to finish/change/renew/correct/attach first many, many things (stairway, pillars, floor and ceiling, transition parts, walls, the bar, lightning etc) before I can go on with the guardrails. The problem is everything is knotted to somethingelse that needs to be done first. So I wrote a list what to do (this normally helps) but my mind started spinning round I decided to just start from rear to front doing everything that needs to be done building elemnt by building element and step by step, if necessary right nor or not.....

First step was reducing the weight: I opened it from below and drilled out as much wood as possible and of course two times I came to close and the drill was through. A few parts broke as well. You can see what was removed to the right (pan) and below what parts broke while doing this.

Khetanna_284.JPG

The lighnting to the throneroom was done as well (part of it):

Khetanna_288.JPG

Khetanna_289.JPG

What I always wanted to do is making those partitions with windows inside the throne room. I slightly sprayed a see-through acrylic board and srcatched out the design.

Khetanna_285.JPG

Khetanna_286.JPG

The first window I finished was then sprayed with a fixative, just noticing that it ruined it all. The adhesive agent tended to solve the sprayed color. So I needed to break it up and do it again.
I also started to do the "claws" with Fimo:

Khetanna_291.JPG

Khetanna_292.JPG

Khetanna_294.JPG

Khetanna_295.jpg

Khetanna_296.JPG

They are now nearly finished, but while making those I forgot to calculate the "claws" and it will get very narrow in there reagrding the pillars. As you can see, Wizam is a bid frustrated. Not sure if pillars and the new parts will fit in and even when they do it doesn't look very well. I have to think about a solution first.

Khetanna_293.JPG

I hope you like it!

Regards

Wolff

Last edited:
Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 01Sep2

Wow ... this is becoming more or less a trial and error build by the looks of it ... though I'm convinced in the end you will prevail ... perhaps it's time for 'vintage' Jabba to come in and overlook the situation and some additional motivation before there'a a bounty on your head? ;)

Chaim

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 01Sep2

Hahahaha...well....first up is Boba Fett...inspecting the ship before Jabba arrives ;)

Here is some test shots with the lightning I did today.

The Gargoyles (Ishi Tib) are still missing but I finished the Rancor base and added some more light. Needs to be improved, but I know now what to do. At least it works...LOL. The pillars were transplanted to another place....etc etc

Khetanna_297.JPG

Khetanna_298.JPG

Khetanna_299.JPG

Khetanna_300.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back