Back To The Future 2 Marty McFly Jacket: Numerous Questions

Mscdman

OK...let me start by saying I think I have read every thread on here on how to make this jacket. I am trying to make it for my halloween costume, but even after reading every thread, several questions are still unanswered. I am hoping someone can help.

1) Midas and Jedi created a jacket using grip liner as the "rubber" material. What color did you use? Red? It looks "orangeish" in the photos I have seen on here.

2) EXACTLY what brand did you use? I went to K-Mart and purchsed Kittrich Con-Tac Brand Grip Preium Liner in "Engine Red". It DOES NOT have the same pattern as the photos that I have seen using a liner. I would like to get the same pattern you guys used. Yours looks fuller than what I purchased which has more space between the rubber (looks cheesy).

3) What color was used for the base members only jacket? I purchased light grey but it almost looks too light.

4) How/what did you use to get the flashing LED's on the belt?

5) Where can you purchase the chair billows for the belt without having to buy the whole chair?

6) What are you using for the metal looking piece on the top of the pockets?

Last edited:
Here is a rough example/question. I have two different "contact" paper to use as the fabric.

Which one looks more accurate? One is orange/brown in color and the other red. Which is better? Are you guys using red or orange?

photo.jpg

I believe its duck brand shelf liner found here...

Amazon.com: Duck 1100392 Non-Adhesive Select Easy Shelf Liner, Autumn Red, 12-Inch Wide 10-Square-Feet: Home & Kitchen

For the billows, weather stripping was used on some models and painted to match the color of the jacket.

For the bottom of the jacket and cuffs, corrugated liner/tubing from Home Depot was flattened and cut and used for this on some models. you could also get corrugated rubber matting or a wide timing belt from a car for the same effect.

I believe its duck brand shelf liner found here...

Amazon.com: Duck 1100392 Non-Adhesive Select Easy Shelf Liner, Autumn Red, 12-Inch Wide 10-Square-Feet: Home & Kitchen

For the billows, weather stripping was used on some models and painted to match the color of the jacket.

For the bottom of the jacket and cuffs, corrugated liner/tubing from Home Depot was flattened and cut and used for this on some models. you could also get corrugated rubber matting or a wide timing belt from a car for the same effect.

Thanks for replying ghost. As I suspected your answers have raised more follow-up questions.

1) I don't see an "autumn red" listed on ducks actual website. They do show a Sedona red which is what I purchased and have shown in my photo. Does anyone know if they are actually different colors? Why wouldn't "autumn red" be on their site? Amazon mistake?

Duck® Brand - Duct Tape, Packaging Tape, Weatherization, Shelf Liner and DIY products

2) what section of Home Depot did you find this plastic corrugated tubing? How did you flatten it? What diameter tube was used? Would this even be flexible enough for the belt?

3) If I go the rubber route what car material are you talking about exactly? Could you possibly send me a URL?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want this done right. I'm actually surprised no one has posted a step by step including instructions. Once I build mine I plan to do just that to help others like me.

Possible amazon mistake or they stopped carrying that color. For the tubing I would contact jedifyfe here on the forums as that is what he used. I found corrugated rubber matting in the flooring department of home depot. I paid $5.00 and got a 27 inch by 24inch piece and it was plenty to complete the jacket. If your going to use a timing belt which others have used, just make sure you find one wide enough as they usually are an inch or under in width.

Ghost thanks. Apparently there is two colors...

The one you pointed to is a dark Marion/brick color (autumn red). Mine is more bright red (Sedona select)

Do you recommend your maroon/brick color over my brighter red?

I'd really wish I knew which Jedi used :(. I'm trying to make his jacket

Just found this thread, here's info about the red grip mat. I got the red mat in my hand right now, its at Walmart in the kitchen section. The name is Easy Liner, Select Grip from Duck Brand (20 in. by 6 ft.) At Walmart there is many colors from white, black, light blue, yellow and red. The red color name is Select Red Sedona, I've been to 3 different Walmarts and its the only red color in the bunch. I looked at other stores for any other mat that looks close to the jacket, but the Easy Liner from Walmart is the #1 closest I could find. To attach it to a jacket I used this Loctite Super Glue Power Easy Gel Control from Loctite Adhesives from Loctite Products Mobile Product Advisor. Expert guidance to find the best adhesive, glue and sealing solutions. which can also be found in Walmart in the craft section near the acrylic paints and with the rest of the adhesives.

The Home Depot corrigated pipe for the belt and cuffs, I found a 4 inch diameter perforated drain pipe, I had to ask for help to find it. It looked good but the shortest length was 40 feet and cost around 60 bucks. I can't remember if it was Lowe's or Home Depot, but in the wet vac section, there is a vacuum tube replacement that may work. It was less than 20 bucks, I can't remember the name of it, I might have to go check for it again some time. Hope that helps a bit!

I would buy the corrugated pvc/rubber floor matting over the pipe tubing as it will be much easier to cut/attach. Its not 100% screen accurate, but it works well. Here is a pic of it

2iqddok.jpg

Wow that rubber mating looks great! I was wondering if it would maybe be too heavy though?

And you found this at the home depot store? How much?

Also - how are people making the "clips" for the shoulder straps? Are they buying something or making it somehow?

Here is my final list of outstanding questions..

1) What material is use for the grey pockets ( I messaged Jedi about this)? Felt? Leather? Plain grey cotton fabric?

2) What dimensions did you make your pocket (again messaged Jedi)

3) Has anyone had luck sewing the rubber material to the jacket or have they all just glued it?

4) What did you use to make the shoulder strap black "clips"?

5) What did you make the black squares on the arms from?

6) What material are you using for the black piece which appears above each pocket?

I found that in the flooring dept of Home Depot and paid $5.00 for 2 ft of it. It measures 27 inches wide (which is how you cut it), so I had plenty to do the cuffs and jacket belt. It went on fairly easily with Loctite superglue.

For my jacket I had a Members Only jacket which already had the "strap clips" on it, I just covered the strap clips with very thing black foam. others have made them from scratch out of styrene. For the grey pockets, I cut the side pockets out of the jacket before I covered it with the red material, then cut the material from that for the pockets so it matched the rest of the jacket. Since you can't see the pockets anyway the material can be used. I just eyeballed the height/width of the pockets, I didn't have exact dimensions, but I am sure they are out there on the forums. Mine were 5in x 6in. Others have used spray-painted foam or custom material for theirs.

The black squares are typically custom cut from styrene in two pieces painted black, A square top thicker piece with a hole drilled in the middle of it , and the other thin square piece as a base where the red sticker is. They just glue the two pieces together after that and place them on the jacket either by glue or velcro.

For the black piece above the pocket a lot of people cut that from styrene as well.

Great stuff ghost.

So I founfd the PVC/rubber backing. It's perfect for what I want. I just didn't by enough LOL. Back to home depot.

How many things of this super glue did you go through??? I've used 3 bottles for just one panel so far! At 4 bucks a pop that a lot of money for glue.

Did you only glue around the perimeter?

I'm wondering if people have been able to sew this with any success

I went through about 6 bottles of Loctite for the whole jacket at about $3.00 a pop per bottle of glue (so around $20.00 in glue).I may have over-used though as if I were to make another one there are places I know I could spare some. I just used it around the edges/perimeter of the red liner material.

So for cost:

Members only jacket ($8.00 from ebay)
glue - $20.00
red liner - $8.00
black plastic for various buttons - $5.00
foam - $2.00
rubber matting - $5.00
weather stripping (for simulated bellows on the jacket shoulders and elbows) - $3.00
gray spray paint (for the weather stripping)- $4.00

so $55.00 for the whole completed jacket...not too shabby.

Lucky you 8 bucks for the jacket? Mine was 27 shipped on eBay.

What weather stripping did you use? Rubber weather stripping (I think it's white at Home Depot) or the foam?

Where do you get styrene that can be cut easily?

I tried this stuff and it wouldn't work. Glue wouldn't stick to it. Plus the cuffs are scratchy on your wrists:s

(the pvc floor stuff that is) ^^^

Last edited:
The matting I bought was very thin and the Loctite Superglue held it in place very well. I never planned to wear mine, just display it but it didn't seem very scratchy. It lined up with the felt on the jacket cuffs when I cut it so it may be a little tight on the wrist.

For the weather stripping I just got the cheapest rubber/pvc stuff I could find that was thin. In hindsight I should have done more research on the exact type of weather stripping as the stuff I got was a pain to work with.

You can order styrene from several places online, just google it. Just make sure you have a good utility knife and a dremel to work with the styrene.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back