Skyrim - Nordic War Axe final (and other stuff)

Thom NK

First of all, I want to say Hi! I signed up a little while ago and haven't been able to post much more than a hello in the new member thread.
I've been making and selling resin cast jewelry for a little over a year now and a few months back decided I wanted to try my hand at making a prop. I instantly knew what I wanted to try. I had just bought the newest addon to Skyrim, and I loved the look of the Nordic set gear. The Axe was my favorite weapon, and also the most reasonable to make in my eyes.

This being my first prop(ok not first, but the thing I made long before was in paper mache), I spent lots of time looking into info sites and what materials to use. I had been watching Volpin for a few years and knew he made his steel axe a while ago. Without his work I would have definitely been lost without knowing where to start. I realized the importance of having the right materials and the right tools. I'm not sure if Volpin frequents the forums, but a BIG shout out to his awesome work and info pages. You've been a huge inspiration. I am now in love with building props and I really hope that I can one day support myself just doing this.

Anyway enough with the intro. Here are the final pictures of the axe.

1.jpgDSC_0193.jpgDSC_0192.jpgDSC_0195.jpg

There were a few hurdles to go through while making it. Some material related, some just learning how to do things as I went, but overall I love how it turned out.
Here's some process pics:

nordaxe1.jpgDSC_0005.jpgaxe4.jpgaxe5.jpg11.jpg9.jpg

The whole thing was cold cast with aluminium powder and buffed. Love that stuff, it looks so nice. Even though I've been doing the resin jewelry for about a year, I'm still learning about better methods for making molds.

And that's it for the axe. I am trying to auction it off on Ebay, though I don't think I am allowed to post a link to it here. If you are interested in it or know any one, please send them my way. Since this project was just funded out of pocket, I've got to make some money to continue working on new projects.

I'm also selling raw cast kits of the axe on my website.

My community page is on facebook, where I post my process work and updates, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that link, so if I'm not please let me know and I'll remove it. Please follow me and share my page with friends. I love feedback and comments/constructive criticism. https://www.facebook.com/nappinkraken

Here are few jewelry pieces I'm proud of:
From left to right(Zelda OOT spiritual stones/ Zelda SS Full Heart/ Digimon holy ring/ Game fo thrones house pins)
3set.jpgheart_skywardsword.jpg8.jpgGOTpins.jpg

Hope I haven't broken any rules here, I haven't posted on any forums for a long time.

I will be posting my process work for new projects. I hope to learn and grow my prop making on these forums, and maybe help others too : )

PS:the tags box was not working for me so I don't have tags, if that matters?

Thanks guys. I hope somebody will be interested in buying it : P Would love for it to have a home hanging on a nice wall mount or being wielded by an awesome cosplayer!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back