Star Trek Beyond

Re: New STAR TREK 3

Well, considering that each film has been pushed back for the openings. From Nov 08 to May 09. Then from May 12 to May 13. Plus the four years between the two films. I would imagine that the "A little quicker this time" would mean have the next one out for 2016 for the 50th anniverssary.

Also, JJ, if you're reading this and you do direct. I would like to see the remaining original TOS actors in this movie. We've already made Nimoy old Spock, so how about the rest of them in "StarFleet advisor committee" roles, a panel that monitors the actions of it's officers. They don't have to play the old versions of their characters, but I WOULD like to see them on screen for the 50th in some capacity!

If ST3 were to be released to coincide with TOS' 50th anniversary I think that it would be cool to have (small) cameo appearances by all of the surviving TOS cast. They don't even need to have any lines, just seen enough in the background so that they can be clearly seen and recognized. As a bonus, though it might be a bit much, would be to also include cast members from all the Treks from TOS, all the way through Enterprise. Better yet, it would be fun to cast as many former Trek alumns as extras as possible, the TOS list probably wouldn't be that great there would be a lot from TNG on but it would be kind of neat to do so, at least invite some of the more prominent guest stars and supporting movie cast.

Umm, shouldn't E7 be shooting next year as well? Seems like a majorly difficult task to shoot and supervise ST3 and SW7 to conclusion simultaneously.

...I do not at all understand the compulsion to include the rest of the Trek crews as cameos.

That sounds like an awful idea.

...I do not at all understand the compulsion to include the rest of the Trek crews as cameos.

That sounds like an awful idea.

Thank you!

It's a gimmick IMHO. I have enough trouble with some of the character changes that I don't need to see someone in the background and think "Hey look! There's the REAL Kirk!"

On the other hand, you'll never make that comment watching Chris Pine either!

Personally you're right, I wouldn't. But why invite even more comparison to something you're clearly trying to have stand on it's own two feet? It's bad enough that old Spock was in STID. I can understand the pass the torch theme in the first film but time to be your own thing. No rehashing villains from the original, no casting original actors in cameos. If you're going to do your own thing than DO IT.

IMHO, STID would have been a much better film had it not so blatantly invited comparison upon itself by using Khan. Throwing more callbacks in will be the death of this rebooted Trek. That may just be me though.

I would agree that using the entire Spock Prime conceit really didn't work well in the first film and was completely superfluous in Into Darkness. I don't mind them reusing previous characters like Kahn, especially as he was given a different story in this film, but he could have been used to better effect. So I would welcome a new spin on an old adversary, just tighten it up a bit and loose the ancillary bad guys (ie Marcus).

Letting Abrams direct was a bigger problem the Nimoy as old Spock. It would be a double edged sword getting the others in the movie even as extras. It might win over more older Trek fans but it could also come across as pandering and cheap.

Thank you!

It's a gimmick IMHO. I have enough trouble with some of the character changes that I don't need to see someone in the background and think "Hey look! There's the REAL Kirk!"

It strikes me as really odd, after we've all read through the STID threads and the myriad of complaints from "true" TOS fans (because obviously those of us who liked STID have no idea what we're talking about :lol), that what is apparently going to appease some of these folks is Patrick Stewart as a walk on extra?

What? Really? The problem with STID is that Michael Dorn wasn't in the background?

I can't think of any compelling reason to want to bring back any other series' cast members. Especially in such a trivial role. I watched Trek IV the other day with the Shatner/Nimoy commentary and they had a brief exchange about appearing in future Trek films and Shatner basically said that: 1) he wanted to do another film with the TOS cast; 2) he would appear in a future film if there was a substantial role for him.

Recall also that Shatner was rumored to be involved in Trek09. IIRC, both Shatner and the writers said that they wouldn't throw Kirk in just to throw him in, and that it had to be in service of the story.

Throwing in random Trek actors strikes me as more gimmicky than what was done with STID's sometimes campy references ("oh, we've got that ship from the Mudd incident!" "I'm a friend of Christine Chappel..." etc).

Maybe we can have an old (older) Nichelle Nichols do a naked dance scene again.....:facepalm

JJ should concentrate on Star Wars.

No cameos just a decent story, balanced action, fire Uhura out a torpedo tube, and at the end of the movie restore the universe to the way it was by declaring that the last six or so hours of Trek was all a nightmare caused by some phase variance in the meta-phasic doohicky thingamabob.

JJ should concentrate on Star Wars.

No cameos just a decent story, balanced action, fire Uhura out a torpedo tube, and at the end of the movie restore the universe to the way it was by declaring that the last six or so hours of Trek was all a nightmare caused by some phase variance in the meta-phasic doohicky thingamabob.

As a TOS fan and long time supporter of Trek I can say with the strongest conviction I have zero desire to go back to old Trek. It's time for Trek to. Be knew and that is exactly what JJ created and I am grateful for it. Those that wish to return to the past are wishing for is franchise to die. Period, end of story.

I've enjoyed the Trek reboot. I thought it was clever to attempt to tie old Trek to new Trek with the Old Spock gimmick - but, I really wish they would've left him out of STID... he really didn't add anything to the story.

But, yes... bring on new Trek 3! Pass the torch to a new director (Edgar Wright... but, he'll be busy with Ant Man), let JJ produce from the Star Wars set.

Add me to the list of those who think having the original actors do cameos is a BAD idea. Having Nimoy is enough to remind the audience that this is a retread.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back