Star Trek Beyond

Has star trek ever worked with action figures? Nope. It just doesn't.

It does. It really does.

troiwestern_zpschycpyjp.jpg

While Anton nailed the Chekov accent perfectly (considering I think he was russian, or spent time there at least).....he was my least favorite new cast member because of how young he looked. if all the other cast members looked 22, he came off as 15. it totally threw me off the part. although that might have been intentional if they where playing off the generations line 'I was never that young'

still, terrible way to go...i'm still having trouble wondering how he didn't have time to move away from the car. it must have been right next to him. ugh.

Chekov looked young because he was supposed to be young. Walter Koenig is/was 4-6 years younger than most of the original cast (the notable exception being Nichelle Nichols). I'll agree he didn't feel right at first, but he soon fit in pretty well to me - I wish they had given a little more to work with.

From Wikipedia
Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry wanted to include a younger cast member, to appeal to teenage audiences. With a second season of Star Trek to be produced, Roddenberry interviewed Walter Koenig on the recommendation of director Joseph Pevney.[1]:345 After casting Koenig, Roddenberry wrote a letter to Mikhail Zimyanin, editor of Pravda,[1]:344 informing him of the introduction of a Russian character, and an NBC press release announcing the character at the time stated that it was in response to a Pravda article.[2][3] Koenig always denied the "Russian origin" story and said the character was added in response to the popularity of The Monkees' Davy Jones, and the character's hairstyle and appearance are a direct reference to this. [4][5] Roddenberry had previously mentioned, in a memo to his casting director, a desire to have someone reminiscent of one of the Beatles or Monkees on the show. [1]:345

Yelchin was a rising talent who had the potential (and probably would've) gone far beyond Star Trek. Rudderless, Charlie Bartlett... what a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? You're going to argue the semantics of my usage of 'racist'?
Their treatment of Chekov in the scripts wasn't racist. *shrug*

...At least we can all agree the character has been badly treated. I mean, he was originally included with the noble idea of showing that "Today's enemy (60's Soviet Russia) could be tomorrow's friend)'...
That might have been how they sold it, but even Walter Koenig has said Chekov was added to the cast because of the popularity of The Monkees, and Davy Jones specifically; memos from Gene Roddenberry to the casting director support this. Also, Roddenberry mentioned in other memos something to the effect that Kirk, Spock, and the other main characters were considered to be "middle aged" by the younger audience members, and that he wanted a young man on the Enterprise to provide a younger perspective and thought Chekov would be the perfect character for that. Walter Koenig is actually only five years younger than William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, but he looked younger and that's what counted.

...While Anton nailed the Chekov accent perfectly (considering I think he was russian, or spent time there at least)...
Yelchin was born in Russia, but emigrated to the U.S. with his parents when he was six months old. Presumably he knew what an authentic Russian accent sounded like because of his parents.

...he was my least favorite new cast member because of how young he looked. if all the other cast members looked 22, he came off as 15. it totally threw me off the part. although that might have been intentional if they where playing off the generations line 'I was never that young'

Keep in mind that in certain decades, 22-year-olds looked like they were 35-40! Nowadays people tend to look a lot younger than they are if they take care of themselves.

That might have been how they sold it, but even Walter Koenig has said Chekov was added to the cast because of the popularity of The Monkees, and Davy Jones specifically; memos from Gene Roddenberry to the casting director support this. Also, Roddenberry mentioned in other memos something to the effect that Kirk, Spock, and the other main characters were considered to be "middle aged" by the younger audience members, and that he wanted a young man on the Enterprise to provide a younger perspective and thought Chekov would be the perfect character for that. Walter Koenig is actually only five years younger than William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, but he looked younger and that's what counted.

I think that it was a combination of both, they wanted somebody young on the cast for the reason you listed, then when it came time to actually create the character they decided on the Russian and my (current) enemy will become my friend angle. I have no idea which came first, the idea of having a younger cast member or a Russian character but they obviously thought of both and thus Chekov was born.

I think that it was a combination of both, they wanted somebody young on the cast for the reason you listed, then when it came time to actually create the character they decided on the Russian and my (current) enemy will become my friend angle. I have no idea which came first, the idea of having a younger cast member or a Russian character but they obviously thought of both and thus Chekov was born.

Actually, if I remember some of my behind the scene interview stuff accurately, Roddenberry created the character in response to Russian media slamming the show for not having a Russian character on it considering that at the time, the USSR and the US were neck and neck in the great 'space race'.

Koenig was cast because of the aforementioned popularity of The Beatles and The Monkeys...

I remember when the character of Chekov came into Trek in the second season, and I also remember very well that they were definately jumping on trying to garner the teen fans at that time who just loved the Monkees and were the hottest thing for teens. All the teen magazines featured Koenig amongst the Monkees and all the other trendy teen idols of the time, so they were definately promoting him for that reason. I also think there was a point about making him a Russian because in the middle of the Space Race, it would be very forward thinking to have the future of space travel inclusive of all the cultures of Earth. That was one of the key points of Trek's appeal: that it had a progressive future outlook in which current 'enemies' would be working together for bigger ideals. I hope it still does.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that in certain decades, 22-year-olds looked like they were 35-40! Nowadays people tend to look a lot younger than they are if they take care of themselves.

Jaws! Some of the parents in that film look 60-70. So yeah, totally true.

You're not that far off Angelus.

Star Trek Online: Kelvin Timeline

That's right. The official name for JJ's Star Trek universe is now called the "Kelvin Timeline".

Fascinating. How very illogical of them.

That music is awful! Paramount seems to be trying to separate the "kelvin timeline" movies and the established/traditional Star Trek Fan. This is one movie I will not be seeing this summer. It's too bad because I'm a huge Simon Pegg fan and was looking forward to his script treatment. Oh well, another Trek disappointment.

With the past 2 Trek movies being essentially copies of the original Star Treks 2 & 3, or at least borrowing heavily from them, can we expect a time travel plot and more humor in number 4, if they do a number 4?

I don't know if Rihanna hurt herself when "she hit a wall" but I think she might have hurt herself going for some of those high notes. They hurt me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back