Star Trek Beyond

Re: New STAR TREK 3

Oh come on.

You're just pulling our legs, right?

Far be it for me to speak for Bryan, but I think it's pretty clear that he's talking about the filmed canon of Star Trek.

:)

I just can't even generate enough interest to reply to him...

Does everybody come to these threads concerning rebooted Trek just because they want to bash it some more?

Well really where are you gonna go with this topic anyway? It's all just rumors at this point. We can all discuss "Who will be the villain in Star Trek 3" , like it really matters, or just continue the back and forth argument that dominates anything to do with new Trek.

Well really where are you gonna go with this topic anyway? It's all just rumors at this point. We can all discuss "Who will be the villain in Star Trek 3" , like it really matters, or just continue the back and forth argument that dominates anything to do with new Trek.

Yeah, I just wanted to be the dude who started the ST-3 thread. My name will live in infamy! :)

From despising the idea of a reboot non-canon Star Trek, to loving the movies as separate entities entirely, ST3 will most likely win in the box offices. The kids loved them. I loved them. My 72 year old mother who has seen every Star Trek episode (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) and movie loved them. When she and I walked out of the theater after seeing STID, she said, "I hope they make another one!!" I couldn't agree more.

From despising the idea of a reboot non-canon Star Trek, to loving the movies as separate entities entirely, ST3 will most likely win in the box offices. The kids loved them. I loved them. My 72 year old mother who has seen every Star Trek episode (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) and movie loved them. When she and I walked out of the theater after seeing STID, she said, "I hope they make another one!!" I couldn't agree more.

Case in point.

Star Trek III The Search for Pike.

Seriously gonna miss that guy.

If they really wanted they could continue with the story from Into Darkness. Kahn and his crew remain frozen in the basement at Starfleet, which in all honesty is not a very Starfleet thing to do.

I will say - I finally pit my finger on why I don't like these JJ movies and that is the general state of mankind does nothing to hint that we have made great strides in our conditioning. Petty fighting, distrust, betrayal -- all there in spades. The people of TOS seemed to disregard the flaws and greed demonstrated by their ancestors.

I actually think that's one of the selling points to the new films. The characters are more relatable than the holier-than-thou quality that utopian characters can radiate. It's one thing to talk about a utopian society that operates in a particular way. It's quite another to assume that human nature itself has so fundamentally changed that everyone just gets along great and has no conflict. I think the danger in hewing too closely to a utopian vision of humanity itself (as opposed to society or governmental structures as a separate concept) is that it runs the risk of removing drama and/or being unrelatable.

Now, arguably, with STID, they had a GOLDEN opportunity to show contrasts there by creating, in essence, an "external" villain who isn't part of the new evolved society and, instead, presents a different evolutionary path. But the die was already cast with the ST09 film and how it portrays humanity, so that was less likely. Still, I think it makes sense from a storytelling standpoint to deal with flawed characters. What's missing is flawed characters existing in a utopian world, or flawed characters who are desperately struggling against their flaws instead of reveling in them. Petty jealousy makes sense as a dramatic tool in storytelling. Even Picard dealt with that when he went home to visit his brother. But you still got the sense that Picard WANTED to be better than that, rather than "YEAH! SUCK IT RENE!!! I kicked your ASS dude!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! WHO'S THE CAPTAIN?!? ME!!!"

Yeah, I just wanted to be the dude who started the ST-3 thread. My name will live in infamy! :)

7PPDVlT.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back