Iron Man Helmet Prep/Paint - Start to Near Finish

puckface

Hey guys, recently acquired an Iron Man helmet and wen't to work. I'm sure most of you are tired of seeing these things, but for the few that aren't, here are some progress photos. Sorry for the low quality on some of them...

(I immediately decided to scrap the back of the neck. It was a bit awkward and didn't quite fit to the helmet properly.)

Then gave it a primer coat

After the primer, I went to work on some battle damage

Then added the red and gold, which were an absolute task! I must have bought 5 or 6 different shades/brands in each color before I landed on a couple that I really liked. Personally, I dig the darker red for the film look.

Then the battle damage detailing began

And what I've got so far...

This shot shows off the cool carbon fiber inserts I made. These were done with simple decals I stuck onto foam pieces and velcro'd into place.

The eyes were another custom piece by me. They're non functional as far as sight goes, but they can be lit from behind. It's a simple piece of clear plastic, painted white from the back, heated and formed to the inside of the face plate, with black electrical tape acting as the hollow spaces.

And a couple of goofy shots after most of the paint was done. Also added a pic of my 30 minute arc reactor I made out of boredom. Simply a cheap tap light that I decorated with electrical tape. Thought it was cool for only a few bucks worth.

And a friend of mine who kind of has that Tony Stark look...

Anyways, I still think I have a little work to do. I want to add some gloss in a few specific spots to make it pop a bit more, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the outcome considering it was my first Iron Man prep/paint up. Thanks for looking!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back