How to smooth bondo , WITHOUT filler putty.

ThisNameIsTaken

So hey!, I've got four hours, from 6-AM to 8 and 11-1 to finish bondoing, painting, and making a hinge on my helmet. I've figured out everything, except, when I bondo my ironman helmet, then sand it, it makes these tiny dents, and stuff. So i don't have enough time to go and buy filler putty, so how is the BEST way to get smooth bondoing. IMG_0220.jpgIMG_0221.jpg

I had a similar experience so it could be a couple of things. First it could just be you haven't sanded enough and what your seeing is lots of the low spots from application so to fix it more sanding will be needed. It could be you have sanded loads but arent feeling like you taking much filler off. This could be down to he filler you are using. The first batch I bought dried so hard that I couldn't sand it down with ease and almost gave up. Then a year later found out that I should have bought easy sand filler. When I did I got the resaults I felt I should have had from the start.
From the pics it looks like the problem I had but hard to say with out actualy seeing it. I'd say either try to fix it with some putty when you can or maybe review your filler.

Hope this sorta helps you out.

Tom.

Thanks :p I should have one more go with sanding, and if it doesn't work out, a thin layer of bondo to try to fill in gaps is also what I've seen from the 405th and stuff. It seems to get a lot of dust off when I sand, so I don't think it's the bondo. Could air bubble possible be it?

You need an orbital sander. That will level everything fast to remove excess bondo. I suggest thin layers next time so you wont have that problem cuz look like ya laid it on pretty thick. Goodluck

80 grit sandpaper, I have an orbital sander but with this grit i don't even need it, it's a good grit to remove the bondo excess

Last edited:
I was having the same issue on my helmet (1st project). I was applying too much bondo. Apply it in small coats and sand between. Use 60-80 grit paper as doc mentioned get a sander. I picked up a Mouse Sander for $10 on craigslist

Wait... You were expecting to finish body work, prime, paint, and hinge your helmet in four hours? That isn't even enough time to let the paint dry...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back