How to make Corvo's Mask?

Weapioneer

Greetings,
I want to make corvo attano's mask, from Dishonored. I managed to find the pdo files on the net, and removed the complex gears and fiddly bits from the model and i am planning to print the skull bit on the front, Pepakura it, then then use fiberglass and resin on it and do the detailing with pvc sheets and bondo, but i am not sure about the fiberglassing. I will be using only 1 layer of fiber glass because i have only a patch repair kit, and could not get a large amount of fiberglass. It is enough for just a face plate type mask but will it be strong? also, will there be irritation issues with using fiberglass in such close proximity to the face? there is a layer of fabric between the 'metal' parts of the mask and the face, but does fiberglass itch or is it rough in the back? any precautions i should take? also, i was considering making the mask out of PVC sheet but i would have to make a negative mold of a skull and use it to shape the pvc, so i am not sure about that. Are there any better alternatives to fiberglass?
Thanks for reading,

PS- For those unfamilar with corvo attano, here is a picture of his mask
Corvo%27s_Mask_Render.png

and another one
dishonored___corvo__s_mask_hd_by_mrgameboy2012-d5hljy8.png

If you could upload the mask, that would be awesome.

As far as the fiber glass goes. I would suggest that after you finish the fiberglassing smooth it out and such then take fabric spray adhesive and a nice red cloth the form in into the back of the mask. Then take a scissor and cut out the eye holes and such as well as trim the edges.

Sure, i will upload the file as soon as i have finished cleaning the bits up. I think i will attach the cloth only loosely to the edges, to give it a comfy feel. Maybe multiple layers for cushioning. I think i will make the eye pieces out of pvc pipe bits and the sides from pvc sheeting. Also, maybe get some lens made by an optimetrist.

Well, I tried to do the pepakura, but bad printer + ripped-from-notebook-cover-cardstock + bad unfold = big mess and a waste. It did not go so well...
Can anyone properly unfold the model and post it online? or suggest an easy way to make the mask without pepakura?

Finally! I have finished corvo's mask!
For those who care, here are some pictures!
The front
P1010011.JPG
Side closeup
P1010012.JPG
Back
P1010013.JPG
Front top closeup
P1010014.JPG

So, onwards to how i made it!
I went to a local party store, and found a 'pirate skull mask', which i proceeded to buy.
Hot-sell-Silver-pirate-skull-mask-birthday-dance-party-mask-halloween-mask-100pcs-lot-free-shipp.jpg
This is a picture i found which is the same model mask.

after some surgery, involving the removal of the 'bandana', teeth, and quartering it(The pirate got drawn and quartered...), I had the base parts. I took the part of the skull above and below the bandana and used a liberal amount of hot glue to attach them together. Hot glue, when really hot, is super easy to smoothen and shape with a Popsicle stick. I then took a 40mm PVC endcap, cut it up and made a hole to make the large disc in the mask. A few bits of PVC and GI wire was used to make the disc's detailing. For the metal plate, I used some Thick cans i had around, and cut and flattened one out. I tried to 'age' it by dunking it in salt water and vinegar, but it only mildly eroded it. Another attempt, with the addition of some GI wire and a battery still delivered poor results. Finally, i gave up and used marker ink, boot polish and black paint in quick succession to get its current effect. Some bending and hammering later i had the metal panels, which I glued and riveted on. The thick copper wire along the upper right was made using some 3mm wire i bought, and hammered into shape. It was attached using thin copper wire and cyanoacrylate. 1mm copper wire was used to do the wiring over the mouth and eyes. The copper tubes in the eyes is 1in CPVC piping, painted copper and darkened with black paint. The skull segments were connected together using more metal can bits i had, and a ridiculous amount of hot glue. The amount of glue used was so great, I had to add the strap which goes on top of my head in order to keep the top heavy mask from hanging. The lens for the mask was made by cutting up a pair of clip on shades. Other useable things include swimming goggles, maybe with tint attached. IMPORTANT!- Don't glue your lens in using cyanoacrylate, it permanently fogs them. I used swimming goggles at first, but had to smash them out with a hammer because they fogged. Use PVA or some clean glue. The white cloth was added nearly last, with more superglue and hot glue. The straps were attached using rivets in the side of the mask. The straps are nylon straps with velcro stitched on. I wear this mask on top of my glasses, which is a pain but do-able. Just make sure the paint and glue is dry before wearing ;)
Many thanks to @Tech Magic, for a hint regarding the painting technique for the metal. I mixed silvery powder with binder and added black paint, before rubbing it on with a bit of sponge. Effect really looks epic, and shading with diluted black makes it look like metal.

/End chock-o-block of text

Anyone with questions, feel free to fire away! I would happily help anyone with anything they need regarding this prop or others.
Weapioneer

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back