Skyrim Daedric Armor - Foam Build (COMPLETE! Pic Heavy)

Re: Skyrim Daedric Armor - first time foam build (WIP pic heavy)

Snapped some pics after doing the first layer of paint on the gauntlets. Still need to add more detail and weathering, but here it is shiny looking. I realized its harder than I thought to take a good picture of my own arm :D

daedric_gauntlets_paint1.jpgdaedric_gauntlets_paint2.jpgdaedric_gauntlets_paint3.jpgdaedric_gauntlets_paint4.jpgdaedric_gauntlets_paint5.jpg

This is some of the most amazing work I've seen. Really nice job. I may try to do this for my next build; I'm feeling inspired.

Thanks all! Not being able to spray paint and having to hand brush everything is definitely making it take longer but at the end it should be worth it.

More painting done! Wanted to take some pics of the parts when they look all shiny before weathering:

daedric_shoulders_painted1.jpgdaedric_shoulders_painted2.jpg

daedric_boots_painted1.jpgdaedric_boots_painted2.jpgdaedric_boots_painted3.jpgdaedric_boots_painted4.jpgdaedric_shoulders_painted5.jpg

Holy Jeepers, Batman. Those newest parts are blowing my tiny mind o..0

Thanks all! Not being able to spray paint and having to hand brush everything is definitely making it take longer but at the end it should be worth it.

Agreed. You're clearly being careful with this and it really shows. Excellent work!

Wow, this is looking brilliant! Definitely subscribing to watch this. :)

As far as attaching everything together, since it's "medievial-ish" armour, why don't you look at how armour was put together historically? This armour doesn't have to have the "invisible" attachments that an Iron Man suit would, so you can actually probably put grommets on the edges and use cord (cheap bulk shoelace-type cord works wonderfully, but you have to burn or seal the ends to keep them from fraying) to tie the arm pieces on - this is the way we do it with the steel armour we make for swordfighting. With metal armour you can tie the leg pieces to the chest piece, but since this is foam I might suggest putting a belt under the armour that you can tie the leg pieces to. I'd be concerned about damaging the bottom of the chest piece with the weight/movement. Actually, the belt idea could work for the arms too, if you're concerned about damage to the chest - cobble together some sort of suspender-like straps across your chest and tie the arms on to it before putting your breastplate on. It might also make it easier to get into by yourself, if you're not going to have a squire (though I definitely suggest getting help - it's surprisingly hard to reach across your body with armour on, lol!).

Wow, this is looking brilliant! Definitely subscribing to watch this. :)

As far as attaching everything together, since it's "medievial-ish" armour, why don't you look at how armour was put together historically? This armour doesn't have to have the "invisible" attachments that an Iron Man suit would, so you can actually probably put grommets on the edges and use cord (cheap bulk shoelace-type cord works wonderfully, but you have to burn or seal the ends to keep them from fraying) to tie the arm pieces on - this is the way we do it with the steel armour we make for swordfighting. With metal armour you can tie the leg pieces to the chest piece, but since this is foam I might suggest putting a belt under the armour that you can tie the leg pieces to. I'd be concerned about damaging the bottom of the chest piece with the weight/movement. Actually, the belt idea could work for the arms too, if you're concerned about damage to the chest - cobble together some sort of suspender-like straps across your chest and tie the arms on to it before putting your breastplate on. It might also make it easier to get into by yourself, if you're not going to have a squire (though I definitely suggest getting help - it's surprisingly hard to reach across your body with armour on, lol!).

Thanks so much for the advice! Definitely planning to attach the legs onto a belt, kind of like leg gun holsters with straps around the leg and a strap up to the belt. And also hoping to have a friend squire for me :)

Alright dude, I came here looking for inspiration for a Halloween costume. I was on the verge of making a Tron Legacy costume with all the lights n stuff, but this armor has me awe struck.

But seriously, this thing is looking wicked. I saw the other picture someone posted of a guy at dragocon... Seriously, this has already beaten it ten fold.

Keep it up, buddy.

Last edited:

Speaking of historical attachments for armour, most of mine is put together with leather strapping. It provides great flexible and durable joins, but it's a pain to rivet in. Using webbing (woven straps, like on backpacks) works beautifully as a lightweight but strong substitute.
Another probably useless but fun fact - leg armour is suspended from a C-belt that sits on the point of the hips. Single straps provide the tie point at the hip, and you adjust the balance point so it hangs perfectly over your knee. Of course strapping around the leg helps keep it in place, but having the top point balanced is crucial for preventing leg rotation and stress on the join points. It's a really elegant solution, and you can suspend the knees using the same leather/webbing from the thigh plates. Keeps you from having a really uncomfortable strap around the back of your knee. Best to have one just above and below the knee joint, especially in articulated knees. A fixed knee cop such as found in most fantasy armour can happily float attached to the thigh plate in two or so places :)

Just two cents from someone who's worn a bit of steel armour!

Speaking of historical attachments for armour, most of mine is put together with leather strapping. It provides great flexible and durable joins, but it's a pain to rivet in. Using webbing (woven straps, like on backpacks) works beautifully as a lightweight but strong substitute.
Another probably useless but fun fact - leg armour is suspended from a C-belt that sits on the point of the hips. Single straps provide the tie point at the hip, and you adjust the balance point so it hangs perfectly over your knee. Of course strapping around the leg helps keep it in place, but having the top point balanced is crucial for preventing leg rotation and stress on the join points. It's a really elegant solution, and you can suspend the knees using the same leather/webbing from the thigh plates. Keeps you from having a really uncomfortable strap around the back of your knee. Best to have one just above and below the knee joint, especially in articulated knees. A fixed knee cop such as found in most fantasy armour can happily float attached to the thigh plate in two or so places :)

Just two cents from someone who's worn a bit of steel armour!

Very cool! I always wanted to try real armour, I am planning on attempting to make some chainmail as one of my future projects.

I am planning on using nylon webbing to hold some of the parts together, might glue some fake leather to them to keep the leather look.

One question I have is what material pants are worn under fantasy armour? Up to now I was planning on wearing some underarmour black compression-type pants, but I'm not sure they will look right in places where they will be visible (knees mostly)

For a quick update, heres a pic of the cuirass I painted last night.

daedric_curass_painted.jpg

Pants... well, historically, pants basically didn't exist in Western Europe until the 1700s (no, really!) so everyone wore hose. Tights, basically. Underarmour (thermal undies to weird Aussies like me) or any sort of skintight sweat-wicking fabric is a good bet. For looks though, you might want to go for a matte black pair and maybe do some drybrushing to look like mud or dust, just to break up the flat colour a bit. That said - plain and unassuming might work well - all depends on how it all looks together.

Minor detail, built up and painted the tops of the Chicago screws that will hold the shoulders to the breastplate to match the fake rivets on the armour.

chicago_screws.jpg

All the pieces are almost ready to be put together!

daedric_armor_pieces.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back